Author Topic: Assistant Coaches  (Read 5865 times)

Offline peteonastick

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Assistant Coaches
« on: February 10, 2020, 10:48:42 PM »
OK..the head coach is in position.  As I stated before, recruiting and assistant coaches are the key.  I started this for updates on assistant coaches.  I have heard the DC is from John Carrol and the OC is from EKU?  Grosetti staying as strength coach, Peterson staying as O Line - I think??  Has anyone heard anything else?

Post anything you hear...
THE DRIVE FOR 5

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Assistant Coaches
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2020, 09:00:38 AM »
I haven't heard DC, I haven't heard OC. I haven't heard what type of O Phillips will run, I haven't heard a word on style of D Doug would like.  This is the lowest key major change in school history.  The interest and coverage of this is more like we changed the academic adviser for animal husbandry.
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline Kandrase

• King Penguin
    • View Profile

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2020, 09:20:58 AM »
OC Troy Rothenbuhler? 

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2020, 09:27:58 AM »
https://www.news-herald.com/sports/joe-schaefer-leaving-john-carroll-to-be-youngstown-state-defensive/article_6924c65c-4c21-11ea-964a-47f4ddd39e08.html

Saw the news herald reporting on the DC
Last season Schaefer's D gave up less than 14 in 8 games, and only lost to Mount Union. Finished 8-1

Offline YSUFANSINCE1990

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2020, 11:31:02 AM »
  DC looks like a very solid hire, impressive.  He has done good work at John Carroll.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2020, 02:23:07 PM »
Youngstown State (FCS – OH): Source tells FootballScoop YSU plans to hire Troy Rothenbuhler as offensive coordinator / quarterbacks coach. Rothenbuhler was scheduled to coach quarterbacks this season at Eastern Kentucky (FCS) after coaching tight ends there last season. He previously spent six seasons as OC / QBs at the University of Findlay (D-II – OH). Rothenbuhler and YSU head coach Doug Phillips were previously on staff together at Bowling Green.

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2020, 03:48:46 PM »
Youngstown State (FCS – OH): Source tells FootballScoop YSU plans to hire Troy Rothenbuhler as offensive coordinator / quarterbacks coach. Rothenbuhler was scheduled to coach quarterbacks this season at Eastern Kentucky (FCS) after coaching tight ends there last season. He previously spent six seasons as OC / QBs at the University of Findlay (D-II – OH). Rothenbuhler and YSU head coach Doug Phillips were previously on staff together at Bowling Green.

Nice and EKU is on the schedule, 4th game I think? Also, purely coincidental I'm sure, but two of our 2020 recruits come from Eastern KY and are pretty good players (on paper). 

Very exciting but scary at the same time to see "IF" these guys are up and comers and ready for the leap to the MVFC or YSU may be doomed for years to come inquiring mind want to know  fb

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2020, 04:21:25 PM »
In the same respect of Schaefer doing well at John Carroll, The EK O was pretty impressive, putting up 28 points or more 8 times in a 7-5 season.  YSU put up 28 6 times (4 in a row in a very weak pre-conference schedule) in a 6-6 season.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2020, 04:28:04 PM »
This is a statistical oddity that doesn't belong here, but it struck me as really extreme.  I was looking back at our cupcake pre-MVFC schedule to see if the teams were as bad as we made them look and noticed Samford played 10, count them TEN overtime periods in the 2019 season!! They finished 5-7 for the season, but LOST every overtime game.  That would be a tough season to get through, finishing up with a 52-0 loss to Auburn.