Author Topic: Food for thought for the haters!  (Read 6837 times)

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Food for thought for the haters!
« on: February 07, 2020, 03:41:05 PM »
Hmmm, The MVFC's been feasting on YSU since the Guins joined it.

Wolford and big bad Bo,, really stunk it up.

A few say Wolford is the best coach: The numbers don't add up,,

In his tenure (5 years) 18-22 in the MVFC.

Bo was 18-22 (5 years)

Heacock was 35-30 (9 years) with 1 outright conference championship (06)

So since throwing the MVFC numbers around as a coaching measuring stick by the numbers Heacock was YSU's best coach lately and he did it with less $$, facilities and support.

The New Coach's bar isn't set to high to average 3.6 games (win) a year in the MVFC like Bo and Wolf did fb 

Offline Kandrase

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Food for thought for the haters!
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2020, 04:29:04 PM »
Hmmm, The MVFC's been feasting on YSU since the Guins joined it.

Wolford and big bad Bo,, really stunk it up.

A few say Wolford is the best coach: The numbers don't add up,,

In his tenure (5 years) 18-22 in the MVFC.

Bo was 18-22 (5 years)

Heacock was 35-30 (9 years) with 1 outright conference championship (06)

So since throwing the MVFC numbers around as a coaching measuring stick by the numbers Heacock was YSU's best coach lately and he did it with less $$, facilities and support.

The New Coach's bar isn't set to high to average 3.6 games (win) a year in the MVFC like Bo and Wolf did fb

Totally agree, sure Phillips doesn’t have a ton of experience, but experience and pretty FBS resumes got us losing conference records.

Online guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2020, 05:33:20 PM »
I feel bad for Heacock his biggest problem was to follow JT. If he had been before JT he would have been fine.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2020, 05:43:16 PM »
I think what Kandrase and Red are saying is very important. They have already made the decision to support the new coach. This is what we all have to do. This is my team, no matter what the cost. I have made myself known that of the four names mentioned in the media, I clearly supported the hiring of coach Shane. To me, we will hire #3 of the 4 names mentioned; but Tyrell is #4. Although I cannot say that my bar is as low as 4 conference wins and I am not going to give this guy as much time as I gave Wolf.

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2020, 10:36:45 AM »
I think what Kandrase and Red are saying is very important. They have already made the decision to support the new coach. This is what we all have to do. This is my team, no matter what the cost. I have made myself known that of the four names mentioned in the media, I clearly supported the hiring of coach Shane. To me, we will hire #3 of the 4 names mentioned; but Tyrell is #4. Although I cannot say that my bar is as low as 4 conference wins and I am not going to give this guy as much time as I gave Wolf.

Unless you're willing to go on record and state that Bo left the cupboard well stocked for a title run you need to give Phillips some time.

If his hands are tied by lack of $$$ like we seem to fear it isnt going to matter if he stays or we fire him because that's creating a no-win scenario for whatever schlub agrees to come here and try and win against terrible odds against them.

Offline Kandrase

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2020, 11:56:01 AM »
Interestingly it sounds like Phillips is going to make 250k per year on a 5 year contract. That seems high given his qualifications. I’m pretty optimistic about this hire but surprise he wasn’t a cheaper option...

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2020, 12:33:29 PM »
Interestingly it sounds like Phillips is going to make 250k per year on a 5 year contract. That seems high given his qualifications. I’m pretty optimistic about this hire but surprise he wasn’t a cheaper option...

He is able to get that money thanks to a certain Salem donor.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2020, 12:43:14 PM »

Unless you're willing to go on record and state that Bo left the cupboard well stocked for a title run you need to give Phillips some time.

If his hands are tied by lack of $$$ like we seem to fear it isnt going to matter if he stays or we fire him because that's creating a no-win scenario for whatever schlub agrees to come here and try and win against terrible odds against them.

I understand Happy and you makes a good point. It is just that Wolf was gone before I even thought he would. He made a huge early mistake and we knew that he was not going to recover; yet he almost did. I guess with Phillips, I am saying that I will expect more at an earlier point. I am concerned with his salary though, as I understood we had 2 good coordinators ready to go (or already here). I would assume we will go the $500k standard = $250k HC and $125k (each) for coordinators. Where is Carl's salary at now?

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2020, 01:27:42 PM »
2 coordinators ready to go?  Was that for the old regime?  5 years?  Hope that donation is BIG!!!!  At least he'll be able to bump his state retirement up with $250k whether he performs or not!  The MV is a real JOKE!

Offline Kandrase

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2020, 03:06:16 PM »
In case anyone was wondering Phillips was making 210k at Cincinnati

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2020, 09:38:59 AM »
Coaching is NOT about money. Getting coaches may be, but coaching has NOTHING to do with money, this isn't the Indians where you have to go out in free agency and sign players.  We have a coach, IF he can actually coach and we have no reason to suspect he can't, they he can coach.  I believe the cupboard is more stocked than anybody on this thread, but many haven't proven it on the field yet.  Crenshaw is potentially the best QB at YSU since Jaws.  We have a ton of DB's coming in that are much needed. Even with the huge loss of Reed, we have a number of talented DL. 
What I haven't seen is what style of Offense and Defense does Phillips run?  Who will be the coordinators?  Any talk about that?  Phillips is the coach, he deserves a chance. 
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!