Author Topic: Doug Phillips  (Read 43839 times)

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Doug Phillips
« Reply #45 on: February 07, 2020, 06:28:31 PM »
Wick, as the running backs coach at Cincinnati Phillips was a huge reason why Ethan Wright from Manchester flipped his verbal late and signed with the Bearcats. Phillips was also Targeting Jr. Marquael Parks from Orrville. Parks has some issues to work out, but if Phillips can some how bring him to Youngstown watch out!

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 08, 2020, 10:27:32 AM »
Stick was right, recruiting and assistants are WAY more important than this guys resume.

He needs to come in and manage the situation. He comes from a successful program in Cincy and was here when we were successful also. To me, that experience is valuable and useful.

Give him a chance. Do you think things were on the upswing before Bo left?

Like was stated before, he has a punchers chance to be a good one.

We've seen how hiring coordinators to be HC has gone. Hell we just had a 9 win a season HC from the Big 10 and he couldn't get it done here. Its about more than resumes.

All that being said, he isn't going to get more $$$ for assistants than Bo did unless this donor steps up to the plate. And if he doesn't, I don't expect the results to be there either.

Recruits and assistants guys, kind of a big deal lol.

Cincy and Iowa State have both been pretty darn good the past couple seasons we may just get some decent guys here, young guys that can relate to today's player and hopefully with the savvy to recruit those kids. You'll be surprised how much better we are when the recruiting improves no matter who is calling the shots. We did make the NC game with Wolf's guys and Bo calling the shots. He just couldn't replace those guys and we went right in the crapper. Bo was still the same guy, so what changed? Staff and players.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 08, 2020, 01:49:47 PM »
He is hired and today 3 players from Stow have been offered where Doug's brother Tom is the head coach lol.

Offline Kandrase

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 08, 2020, 02:12:09 PM »
Watching the press conference and it sounds like this is Doug’s dream job. Great to hear his passion. As much as I think Bo wanted to do a good job I never quite felt like his heart was in it. YSU was always a step down not an end goal, Phillips seems genuinely excited to be here.

OMG he also just said “recruting is first and foremost!” I’m sold on the Phillips era!!!
« Last Edit: February 08, 2020, 02:15:21 PM by Kandrase »

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 08, 2020, 06:51:44 PM »
I saw the presser.  I like him.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 08, 2020, 08:41:19 PM »
just watched it, he handled himself well, time to get to work.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline YSUFANSINCE1990

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 09, 2020, 01:18:33 AM »
D coordinator coming from John Carroll.  Peterson the O line coach and Grosetti the strength coach only holdovers from Pelini staff.

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 09, 2020, 08:11:14 AM »

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 09, 2020, 08:49:20 AM »
I saw the presser.  I like him.
Probably the best I have felt about a coach in a long time. Most importantly I could see players wanting to come to YSU and play for him. Pelini has left him with major holes to fill,  thinking he can be successful with juco and transfers this offseason. Hopefully he can put a quality staff together and the team can head into spring practice on a high note. We have nothing to lose, but everything to gain here

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 09, 2020, 10:23:50 AM »
If new D coordinator is going to be from John Carroll, does that mean Carl is getting the boot?

Offline Kandrase

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 09, 2020, 11:18:12 AM »
https://jcusports.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/joe-schaefer/1426 Some information on D.C.

Looks like he worked with Phillips when they were both  at Iowa State. I like this pick, as someone who follows d3 I saw  JCU’s defense in person a few times and they had were really good for that level, saw them give Mount Union some difficulty a few times, with a really good dline.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 09, 2020, 12:20:18 PM »
On paper, it looks like Schaefer is a good selection within our price range.  Experience as a very successful  high school coach at an important program, D3 coordinator, and exposure to FBS football.  Also remember that at Iowa State he had the opportunity to learn defensive principles from Jon Heacock. 

Clearly, the university is making a clean break from the Pelinis. Peterson was a Tressel guy.  I assume that Phillips wants him and that he was not forced to retain him. Peterson is addressing the Curbstone Coaches organization tomorrow.  That could be interesting.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 09, 2020, 05:32:28 PM »
Troy Rothenbuhler is the new OC

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 09, 2020, 06:48:57 PM »
https://ekusports.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/troy-rothenbuhler/1194 Information on the offensive coordinator..as Wick pointed out earlier there are definitely connections here..I felt there was a reason Peterson was retained

Offline ysupenguins14

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 09, 2020, 07:23:01 PM »
Excited for the energy that Coach Phillips is bringing to the program.  It's time for us to all get behind him and show our support!