Author Topic: The next YSU Head Football Coach  (Read 99637 times)

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: The next YSU Head Football Coach
« Reply #165 on: February 05, 2020, 08:14:47 PM »
When Montgomery was the offensive coordinator here, was he not heavily criticized by a significant numbers of posters?  Was there not considerable rejoicing when he finally left?  Now it is a tragedy that he was not brought back as the head coach?  I am really confused. :-\

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: February 05, 2020, 08:35:07 PM »
When Montgomery was the offensive coordinator here, was he not heavily criticized by a significant numbers of posters?  Was there not considerable rejoicing when he finally left?  Now it is a tragedy that he was not brought back as the head coach?  I am really confused. :-\

You pretty much nailed it!
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline Kandrase

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: February 05, 2020, 08:56:22 PM »
Okay, so quick note about Monty. I’m not a fan, but hes a good offensive coordinator, especially for FCS. It’s hard to argue that he’s not at least pretty good.

The bigger issue is that he was also our QB coach, but I saw very little QB development during his tenure. We didn’t recruit great quarterbacks, we tended to recruit good athletes who could throw. None of our quarterbacks seemed to really improve from year to year, they all seemed to stay pretty stagnant. Hunter wells was O.K. But with his arm he really should have become one of the better QBs in our conference. Then look at Mays, and Rickie Davis, two great athletes who just didn’t seem well coached when it came to reading defenses, making good throws, learning to slide instead of taking big hits etc.

I also don’t see any change coming with Monty. Sure if we hire him he’ll probably go 7-4, 8-3, 6-5.... but I don’t see him changing the culture or Turning the program around.

With Tyrell, we’ll probably get a 3-8 and a 4-7 season but maybe we go 9-2 after that.

As a fan I’m willing to take a risk rather than take the safe option and stay in mid MVFC limbo.

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: February 05, 2020, 09:03:56 PM »
I disagree that I am part of the problem. I still haven’t heard why he deserved to get this job.  I can’t support this hire but I am still a fan and alumni. This type of hire is  and looks like a reach and desperate. Plus if shows we don’t have the money to get a quality college coach.  As your bs comments about Montgomery again pure your opinion.  If he sucked why did a top FCS program hire him.  He is respected by his peers.  My bet he gets back to the championship game quicker than we do.,
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline Kandrase

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: February 05, 2020, 09:09:09 PM »
I disagree that I am part of the problem. I still haven’t heard why he deserved to get this job.  I can’t support this hire but I am still a fan and alumni. This type of hire is  and looks like a reach and desperate. Plus if shows we don’t have the money to get a quality college coach.  As your bs comments about Montgomery again pure your opinion.  If he sucked why did a top FCS program hire him.  He is respected by his peers.  My bet he gets back to the championship game quicker than we do.,

If you were responding to me, you may have misunderstood. . I said he was good! Not that he sucked, I just don’t think he develops quarterbacks very well, which kinda screwed up our program for a few years. And I don’t think he would change our culture.

My opinion is that he’s low risk low reward while Tyrell is high risk high reward

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: February 05, 2020, 09:14:25 PM »
No I was responding to chief sorry.  I guess what bothers me is teams like Indy ST  and WIU with little Capital and substandard resources and facilities could get a college experienced coach.  But the best we could do is a HS coach.  Just plain don’t understand!  I guess in 3 years we will know.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2020, 09:29:19 PM by YSUGO »
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline nova75

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: February 05, 2020, 09:17:46 PM »
Tyrell’s qualification is that he is willing to work for the absurdly low salary paid here. It’s a step up for him. If the university insists on running a bare bones athletic department they should drop all sports to D II.

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: February 05, 2020, 09:28:28 PM »
Tyrell’s qualification is that he is willing to work for the absurdly low salary paid here. It’s a step up for him. If the university insists on running a bare bones athletic department they should drop all sports to D II.

I think you hit the nail on the head. 
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline Kandrase

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: February 05, 2020, 09:32:44 PM »
No I was responding to chief sorry.  I guess what bothers me is teams like Indy ST  and WIU with little Capital and substandard resources and facilities could get a college experienced coach.  But the best we could do is a HS coach.  Just plain don’t understand!  I guess in 3 years we will know.

Don’t forget he was an assistant coach here before coaching high school.  if his resume was reversed would you be as upset?

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: February 05, 2020, 09:33:56 PM »
You rip on this hire, go talk to your boy JT. He is the one who got this done. This is his guy.

Offline Joe Bernastat

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: February 05, 2020, 09:55:57 PM »
People fail and succeed if given a chance.  Walt Disney filed bankruptcy early in life.  The HC for the Seattle Seahawks was horrible in his first HC job.  Saban was a failure at Miami.  Bill B of the Pats wasn’t he fired too.  So you bs about Montgomery is just your opinion.  He is a respected coach at a top notch FCS school.  But u think. HC coach that recruits eighth graders is a better hire.  Again We will be a homecoming patsy for all our conference members.  If this guy was so great why wouldn’t other schools try to hire him.

Comparing those guys to Monty, wow lol. How many others got 2nd chances and they just aren't HC material?

Well respected??? Still hanging onto the coat tails of Big Ben makes him well respected? So respected that he went and coached at Charlotte???? His offense doesn't win championships and it's been proven over and over again.

I'm not saying Tyrrell is a slam dunk hire and will work out but I am a YSU fan and I'm damn sure not going to slam the hire and the guy before he is even announced as head coach. You are a part of the problem in this piss poor community.

I love Chief.  I just love him.
Joe Cool

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: February 05, 2020, 10:12:20 PM »
So whats the status of the 3rd rate assistants?  Who stays and who goes?

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #177 on: February 05, 2020, 11:11:32 PM »
Look lots of justification posts here. If the resume was reversed I would certainly be disappointed. This guy is pushing 60. When he left here he was not moving up, Pete was more qualified to be OC.

If hired:  Here is why:

1. He was an assistant for several years under Tressel.
2. He can recruit NE Ohio.
3. He comes on the cheap.
4. He did a stint as a prep coach in Florida and may be able to recruit there & he is used to coaching trash.
5. He was a player rep, so he may still have some NFL recognition.

However, we are not Mt. Union. We are YOUNGSTOWN. A former NATIONAL power. We recruit in every state. We do not have the cash for big assistants that might provide a national footprint ... so our head-coach has to have this. This guy clearly does not.

He does not have a trail of assistants to bring along.

He may have coached under Tressel, but the game does not even resemble those days & Tyrell has not even been in college coaching for the past 20-years. Let alone DI team. Sure he can succeed with time, so can anyone.

Bring the guy in and groom him to replace Strollo ...might be a good risk. run your football program? Unless he a puppet coach for JT, this is too large of a risk for me.

I have to trust my administration. I trust that they saved enough money with this hire to entice Montgomery back as OC.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2020, 11:48:17 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: February 06, 2020, 07:11:35 AM »
Look lots of justification posts here. If the resume was reversed I would certainly be disappointed. This guy is pushing 60. When he left here he was not moving up, Pete was more qualified to be OC.

If hired:  Here is why:

1. He was an assistant for several years under Tressel.
2. He can recruit NE Ohio.
3. He comes on the cheap.
4. He did a stint as a prep coach in Florida and may be able to recruit there & he is used to coaching trash.
5. He was a player rep, so he may still have some NFL recognition.

However, we are not Mt. Union. We are YOUNGSTOWN. A former NATIONAL power. We recruit in every state. We do not have the cash for big assistants that might provide a national footprint ... so our head-coach has to have this. This guy clearly does not.

He does not have a trail of assistants to bring along.

He may have coached under Tressel, but the game does not even resemble those days & Tyrell has not even been in college coaching for the past 20-years. Let alone DI team. Sure he can succeed with time, so can anyone.

Bring the guy in and groom him to replace Strollo ...might be a good risk. run your football program? Unless he a puppet coach for JT, this is too large of a risk for me.

I have to trust my administration. I trust that they saved enough money with this hire to entice Montgomery back as OC.

What a racist statement, wow. Do yourself a favor and stop commenting on "your own" site.

Offline Joe Bernastat

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: February 06, 2020, 07:13:14 AM »
I couldn’t agree more. There is something wrong with this guy.
Joe Cool