Author Topic: The next YSU Head Football Coach  (Read 99665 times)

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: The next YSU Head Football Coach
« Reply #150 on: February 05, 2020, 09:42:40 AM »
We should have seen the handwriting on the wall when Bo's contract was renewed. It's pretty clear of the favoritism that exists in and around the valley. Bo showed his true colors with the assembly of his inexperienced coaching staff and awarding scholarship's to Mooney players that had know business being on the field. It got so bad at the end of last year he had to do the right thing swallow his pride and replace his linebackers. This latest hire ( If true) is nothing more then J.T. showing his loyalty to a former player. He could care less if it works out or not because his legacy is cemented either way

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: February 05, 2020, 12:37:53 PM »
I heard nothing has been decided down to 3 choices.
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline YSUFANSINCE1990

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: February 05, 2020, 01:24:20 PM »
   The team will be told later this afternoon that Tim Tyrrell is their new coach.  YSU was hopeful to keep this quiet until Saturday, and that did not happen.   They want the players to know as soon as possible.

Also the other candidates have been informed they are not the choice.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2020, 01:24:55 PM by YSUFANSINCE1990 »

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: February 05, 2020, 02:38:01 PM »
Calhoun was complaining on his radio show Monday that he was unhappy that word leaked out about his hire at YSU before the D2 championship game.  Premature revelations are unfortunate but inevitable in this era of social media.

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: February 05, 2020, 02:49:53 PM »
Calhoun was complaining on his radio show Monday that he was unhappy that word leaked out about his hire at YSU before the D2 championship game.  Premature revelations are unfortunate but inevitable in this era of social media.

Can't even keep TS national security issues under wraps LOL!

Offline peteonastick

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: February 05, 2020, 04:45:56 PM »
Tyrrell Meeting team today. 
THE DRIVE FOR 5

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #156 on: February 05, 2020, 06:06:42 PM »
If true on Tyrell ... MAJOR disappointment for a pick as a head-coach.

Offline Kandrase

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: February 05, 2020, 06:14:50 PM »

I understand your concern but look at it this way... Tyrell is the only candidate who actually built programs into powerhouses. The other guys were are just assistants who didn’t have to build anything. Even Bo didn’t have any experience building a program into something great.  Also he’s gonna be able to relate to this generation much better than an old school type like Bo or Shane.

Yes HS to D1 is one helleva leap. But he does have d1 experience so it’s not like he will be blindsided by how everything works.

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: February 05, 2020, 06:29:18 PM »

I understand your concern but look at it this way... Tyrell is the only candidate who actually built programs into powerhouses. The other guys were are just assistants who didn’t have to build anything. Even Bo didn’t have any experience building a program into something great.  Also he’s gonna be able to relate to this generation much better than an old school type like Bo or Shane.

Yes HS to D1 is one helleva leap. But he does have d1 experience so it’s not like he will be blindsided by how everything works.

Well said. I'd rather give him a shot than hire a retread that 's already bombed before as a HC.

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: February 05, 2020, 06:38:05 PM »
If money is impacting YSU Athletics that much, the AD needs to figure out a way to raise money.  I don't care about the tennis courts and the complex on 5th Ave.  I graduated in 98 and they were discussing that back then. 

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: February 05, 2020, 07:05:07 PM »

I never doubted any of the reports from chief or others about this being true on Tyrell. Yesterday I had confirmation from a source of my own that this is indeed accurate.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: February 05, 2020, 07:19:21 PM »

As opposed to Monty who was already a failure as a head coach?

Online guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: February 05, 2020, 07:37:06 PM »
If true I am somewhat surprised by the pick. not saying that I am upset with the pick, just surprised.

As someone else mentioned we have tried head coaches and assistants with limited success. I am excited to see how it plays out, maybe he will make JT look like a rookie.

Guessing he will be hungry and full of energy. As a hs coach he sure should be able to relate to the youth of today and maybe that will help in the recruiting.

I think that the key will be the coaching staff he puts together.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: February 05, 2020, 07:39:49 PM »
People fail and succeed if given a chance.  Walt Disney filed bankruptcy early in life.  The HC for the Seattle Seahawks was horrible in his first HC job.  Saban was a failure at Miami.  Bill B of the Pats wasn’t he fired too.  So you bs about Montgomery is just your opinion.  He is a respected coach at a top notch FCS school.  But u think. HC coach that recruits eighth graders is a better hire.  Again We will be a homecoming patsy for all our conference members.  If this guy was so great why wouldn’t other schools try to hire him.
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: February 05, 2020, 07:46:48 PM »
People fail and succeed if given a chance.  Walt Disney filed bankruptcy early in life.  The HC for the Seattle Seahawks was horrible in his first HC job.  Saban was a failure at Miami.  Bill B of the Pats wasn’t he fired too.  So you bs about Montgomery is just your opinion.  He is a respected coach at a top notch FCS school.  But u think. HC coach that recruits eighth graders is a better hire.  Again We will be a homecoming patsy for all our conference members.  If this guy was so great why wouldn’t other schools try to hire him.

Comparing those guys to Monty, wow lol. How many others got 2nd chances and they just aren't HC material?

Well respected??? Still hanging onto the coat tails of Big Ben makes him well respected? So respected that he went and coached at Charlotte???? His offense doesn't win championships and it's been proven over and over again.

I'm not saying Tyrrell is a slam dunk hire and will work out but I am a YSU fan and I'm damn sure not going to slam the hire and the guy before he is even announced as head coach. You are a part of the problem in this piss poor community.