Author Topic: The next YSU Head Football Coach  (Read 101233 times)

Offline peteonastick

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: The next YSU Head Football Coach
« Reply #60 on: January 31, 2020, 05:03:02 PM »
Heard Monty is interviewing. 
THE DRIVE FOR 5

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 31, 2020, 08:03:37 PM »
Marrow met with YSU today and he decided to remain at Kentucky.

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 31, 2020, 08:15:57 PM »
Thanks for the update chief! Kinda figured it would turn out this way. The job just doesn't pay enough for him.

This is an aside to ask everyone, does anyone know if their will be other coaching changes once we find a new head coach?

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 31, 2020, 08:39:30 PM »
Thanks for the update chief! Kinda figured it would turn out this way. The job just doesn't pay enough for him.

This is an aside to ask everyone, does anyone know if their will be other coaching changes once we find a new head coach?

I would assume so but it just depends on who it is and how late in the spring it is.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 31, 2020, 09:13:46 PM »
The new coach must be given complete freedom to choose his staff.  Imposing assistants on a new head coach is a prescription for disaster.  That being said, since it is so late it would not be shocking if the new guy decides to retain some members of Pelini's staff.

Offline peteonastick

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 31, 2020, 10:14:02 PM »
Good source. Curt Mallory likely next head coach.
THE DRIVE FOR 5

Offline Kandrase

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 31, 2020, 11:02:18 PM »
Be careful with lower level coaches.... Ask the folks in Akron how they like their new head coach.

You can’t judge any coach by their first season.  curt Mallory, who many on this board think is a decent candidate was also winless in his first season at Indiana State.

And Arth, Akron’s head coach came from UT Chattanooga, a d-1 school... yes he was at a d3 John Carroll before that, but kind of a stretch to call him a “lower level” coach.

My point is we should be more open to potential candidates... not less. There’s ZERO reason to not  include coaches from lower divisions.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 11:13:21 PM by Kandrase »

Offline Kandrase

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 31, 2020, 11:30:43 PM »
But anyway... I think Mallory would be a great choice, Indiana State has been just as good as YSU over the past few  years despite having far fewer resources, facilities etc. I like the idea of having someone who already understands FCS football and especially the MVFC, I don’t think Bo was quite  prepared for how challenging the MVFC is...

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 01, 2020, 09:08:19 AM »
Don’t see nothing special here if Mallory.  He had one good year and he beat us big deal.  They lost do Dayton last year and if anything the season was mediocre and mirrored ours. Beat the real bad teams and had offensive struggles at times.  But if him I will give him a chance.  Don’t know his recruiting style etc.  But I think he likes to run the ball.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2020, 09:14:44 AM by YSUGO »
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 01, 2020, 11:37:44 AM »
Go,

Mallory lost his quarterback in the first or second game and that tanked his season as he had no capable replacement. It would be better to judge him on 2018.  He is interesting to me because Indiana State might be one of the very worst jobs in FCS.  If he came here, he would be able to secure better players and many more of them.

There is no "slam dunk" choice.  Everybody is a gamble.  Tressel's legacy (the athletic part) is on the line with this selection.  And he knows it.

Offline ysupenguins14

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 01, 2020, 01:10:12 PM »
Go,

Mallory lost his quarterback in the first or second game and that tanked his season as he had no capable replacement. It would be better to judge him on 2018.  He is interesting to me because Indiana State might be one of the very worst jobs in FCS.  If he came here, he would be able to secure better players and many more of them.

There is no "slam dunk" choice.  Everybody is a gamble.  Tressel's legacy (the athletic part) is on the line with this selection.  And he knows it.
This hire has no impact on Tressel’s legacy at Youngstown State at all! His athletic legacy here has already been sealed with his 4 National Championships.  And his mission right now is SO MUCH BIGGER than the football program.  He has done amazing things as President of the University and his impact on both the University and the area will be felt many years to come.

With that being said, my only hope with the next hire is that the Athletic Department does not feel any obligation to hire a local guy for the job. The recent hires in the other sports have been good so I’m hopeful we will finally get the right guy for the job.  It will be interesting to see how much talent was truly left of the roster for the next guy. I’m concerned due to the recruiting record of our previous staff.  I think, in the end, the Penguins were bailed out by LSU because change was needed, the culture of the program had gone bad.

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 01, 2020, 01:38:26 PM »
Did coach Nic- Mckissic Luke and Devin Jordan both leave the football program? Could not find them on athletic website

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 01, 2020, 02:10:25 PM »
Also appears the Offensive Line Coach and his Son are gone too. 

Offline Kandrase

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 01, 2020, 06:08:03 PM »
Don’t see nothing special here if Mallory.  He had one good year and he beat us big deal.  They lost do Dayton last year and if anything the season was mediocre and mirrored ours. Beat the real bad teams and had offensive struggles at times.  But if him I will give him a chance.  Don’t know his recruiting style etc.  But I think he likes to run the ball.

YES last season pretty much mirror ours... which is a HUGE testament to coaching because I state doesn’t have the legacy, facilities, fan base etc. that we have. The fact that Mallory’s program was pretty much as good as Bos Over the last few years despite these challenges is impressive

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 01, 2020, 07:46:25 PM »
I think we need to keep perspective when comparing teams.  Indiana State and YSU were equally as BAD not equally as GOOD.  Both programs had horrible losses.  Indiana State lost to Dayton and YSU to Butler the previous year.  However, ISU beat YSU both years.  I think its important to hire the right guy that can attract the right asst coaches.