Author Topic: The next YSU Head Football Coach  (Read 100902 times)

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: The next YSU Head Football Coach
« Reply #45 on: January 30, 2020, 03:52:58 PM »
My friend just sent me information that Marrow actually has a buyout clause in his UK contract.  Looks like it would cost us $300,000 given to UK just to sign the guy.  Scratch him off your list.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 30, 2020, 05:24:35 PM »
Just passing along what I hear. He is talking with the university and wants to be a head coach but I think he stays at Kentucky because he likes it there and they would be willing to give him a raise to keep him I believe.

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 30, 2020, 07:06:41 PM »
We need someone who's proven they can be a HC. I don't care about what level, but I'm tired of hiring coordinators and finding out they are awesome coordinators but suck as head coaches.

That's a losing strategy.

Coach Shane was a disaster as a HC. No thanks.

Not sold on Carl either. Nothing there fills me with confidence from his last HC gig  :-X

If its those 2 clowns versus a D2 HC, give me the D2 guy. Especially if he's young.
A lot of water under the dam since '08 don't you think?  Coach Monty shouldn't be eliminated because of a Miami record from over a decade ago.
I thought Carl did a pretty good job at BGSU under some trying circumstances. 
Sorry, but name calling of coaches Montgomery and Pelini may impress some, but I think it shows immaturity
That being said, my money is on Marrow!

I think you just lost all your money bud.

I do love the idea of a great recruiter as HC though, especially if he gets a couple good DC's to come on board.

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2020, 08:21:12 PM »
What the coach across the border At Slippery Rock. Last year 13-1 grew up at Massillon Jackson -Shawn Lutz
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 30, 2020, 08:34:40 PM »
What the coach across the border At Slippery Rock. Last year 13-1 grew up at Massillon Jackson -Shawn Lutz

I must have been reading your mind before I came to the board.  I was on SRU's site checking out his record there.
2016  7-4
2017  8-3
2018 11-3
2019 13-1

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 30, 2020, 08:41:20 PM »

Shawn has been at the Rock for over 20 years 4 as head coach, he seems to be comfortable there. Has the program going in the right direction so for now has it made. He may be happy with that. So much more pressure at YSU.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 30, 2020, 08:53:51 PM »
I was also looking into D2 Notre Dame in the Cleveland area.  Their head coach Mike Jacobs was 42-8 there, but just took the Lenoir Rhyne job.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 30, 2020, 09:55:33 PM »
Be careful with lower level coaches.... Ask the folks in Akron how they like their new head coach.

Offline YSUFANSINCE1990

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 30, 2020, 10:29:31 PM »
 Carl Pelini telling those close to him that he will not get an interview, so much for the coach in waiting.  Marrow never under consideration, ever.  Montgomery On B list, but still under consideration.

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 30, 2020, 10:53:33 PM »
If u know who isnt under consideration do u know any coaches that are?

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 30, 2020, 11:03:34 PM »
Marrow was definitely under consideration until they started talking dollars. I think the powers above have just been rubbed the wrong way by the Pelini's so I think Carl will not be in serious consideration as stated above.

Offline YSUFANSINCE1990

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 31, 2020, 08:28:53 AM »
  It has been more difficult to get the names under consideration than those being eliminated.  I do know they would prefer a head coach with a successful record who has had success.  I think Curt Mallory at Indiana State is one of a few on their short list, no idea who the others would be.

I have been told that Montgomery on the B list, and not their A list because of his 17-31 record as a head coach at Miami of Ohio, including a pair of 2-10 seasons.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 31, 2020, 08:43:56 AM »
Let me sum up:
Guys we want from bigger programs, already earn to much.
Any body from a smaller program we don't want because he is from too small a program.
Guys that are here we don't want.

HEADLINE NEWS, YSU to have first 1AA Foortball Program with Players Self-Coached!!

Let me tell you about hiring.  It is a complete crap shoot.  (IE. Pelini won 9 games or more every year at Nebraska in the Big10.  Playing Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State etc.  Comes to YSU and wins 9 games just once and loses to Butler)
You just don't know, but you interview the interested parties, pick the guy you think is the best for your position and move forward.  NDSU is NOT going to spot you 21 because you have a new coach. 
In college football the most important thing is NOT O, and it's NOT D, it's R      recruiting.  Bo thought by stepping down to 1AA he could skip the part of the game he liked least, he was wrong.  Going forward it as all about recruiting.  Hire the best recruiter.  If necessary, you can have the coordinates handle most of the football, but if you don't have players, you are doomed.
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline YSUFANSINCE1990

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 31, 2020, 09:01:30 AM »
 I agree to the point that recruiting has to be a priority.  But, I think the head coach needs to a strong CEO type.  I think Vince Marrow would be a stretch to hire at YSU, but he is credited with the strong recruiting classes at Kentucky, then Mark Stoops comes in and closes the deal.

Bo Pelini loved practice and gameday, didn't like much else.  Even at FCS level head coach needs to work with the media, boosters, be out in the community, engage the community where he lives.   As a head coach, there is so much more to do than coach.   Also critical is put together a great staff, and I think one could make the argument that Pelini had an an average staff at best.  I think you will see that most on his staff will struggle to get a good job.  Donald D'Alesio is going to LSU, but as a Grad Assistant.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 09:02:01 AM by YSUFANSINCE1990 »

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 31, 2020, 03:44:38 PM »
Word is Marrow is back in town meeting with officials today and we could hear more by days end. I realize vince is a great recruiter , but we have to start earning some respect in conference play with wins. Name alone will not fix this dumpster fire Bo created
« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 03:52:12 PM by FOOTBALLFEVER »