Author Topic: The next YSU Head Football Coach  (Read 100854 times)

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
The next YSU Head Football Coach
« on: January 27, 2020, 03:23:15 PM »
Where do they turn this time.  Hope its not a re-tread from OSU and Tressel days.  So many of them landed MAC jobs and failed miserably. Any idea where they turn now? 

Offline YSUFANSINCE1990

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: The next YSU Head Football Coach
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2020, 03:24:33 PM »
 Tressel needs to have a say this time.  Curt Mallory at Indiana State should be on the list.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2020, 03:37:30 PM »
I would hope that we don't place too much emphasis on "northeastern Ohio" ties.  Tressel grew up in Berea, Heacock in Beloit, Wolford in Brookfield, Pelini in Boardman.  Obviously, only Tressel worked out. 

This is still a fantastic opportunity for an ambitious, talented young coach.  The Watts, a big time weight room (not my opinion...ask the 49er's,) excellent (and compliant) media coverage, enough regional talent (not like the old days but still sufficient.)  And the precedent to go directly to OSU from here.  Great place for a rising coach to give us 3-4 years of winning and reach the big time.

Offline YSUFANSINCE1990

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2020, 03:38:29 PM »
  Wick I agree 100%.  This is a very good job.  Great facilities, winning tradition and strong recruiting base.

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2020, 04:08:19 PM »
I want an offensive coach that can recruit Ohio and Florida.  I know I will get my head beat in but I want Shane Montgomery, or what about Brian Wright.  He just took a D2 gig.
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2020, 05:24:44 PM »
Pretty late to begin a national search for a head coach. Carl has a leg up but I'll ask around and see what I can find.

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2020, 05:32:05 PM »
Very late. Will suck to see the impact on the recruiting class in a week

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2020, 05:47:12 PM »
Names I'm hearing so far:

Shane Montgomery
Mike Stoops
Vince Marrow

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2020, 06:09:15 PM »
Thanks chief! Wonder if any of the three names you are hearing are actually interested.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2020, 06:33:35 PM »
I want an offensive coach that can recruit Ohio and Florida.  I know I will get my head beat in but I want Shane Montgomery, or what about Brian Wright.  He just took a D2 gig.

Always a coach Shane fan here. I am concerned about Wright being capable, but I always liked him. He needs some Head-coaching experience for me to feel more comfortable.

Offline peteonastick

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2020, 07:19:05 PM »
Heard that Shepas is in the mix.  Need to cut the Mooney umbilical now!
THE DRIVE FOR 5

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2020, 07:42:53 PM »

Always a coach Shane fan here. I am concerned about Wright being capable, but I always liked him. He needs some Head-coaching experience for me to feel more comfortable.
Shane did more for the program then most people realize plus he was a very good recruiter. When he left along with Bricillo this program did a 360 degree turn for the worse. The Culture and discipline was simply know more..Shane should be strongly considered if he wants to return

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2020, 07:50:35 PM »
You guys do realize that assistant coaches at P5 schools make 2x or even 3x the salary that we can pay our head coach.  It is a different world from the days when we hired Tressel.  Lower your expectations. 

This is exactly why some of us have been harping about the bloated number of athletic administrators and the poor pay for our coaches.  I'm afraid you are about to see the concrete ramifications of this misguided policy.

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2020, 07:58:52 PM »
Your correct wick..Was wanting to throw Zordich in the mix then I found out Michigan's assistants are getting paid anywhere from 600,000 to a mill a year

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2020, 08:20:50 PM »
Shane was a disaster as a HC at Miami. The team got worse every single year he was there.