Author Topic: Bo-LSU  (Read 27153 times)

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Bo-LSU
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2020, 02:41:57 PM »
Did anybody at LSU bother to check into what kind of defenses Pelini put on the field here at YSU in the last three seasons?  Apparently not.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2020, 04:18:45 PM »
YSU sports website announced that he has resigned:

Bo Pelini has resigned his position as Head Football Coach at Youngstown State to become the Defensive Coordinator for College Football Playoff Champion LSU, Coach Pelini, LSU and the YSU Athletics Department announced on Monday.

Executive Director of Intercollegiate Athletics Ron Strollo said a national search will begin immediately.

Pelini, a native of Youngstown and graduate of Cardinal Mooney High School, took over the YSU program in December 2014. In his five seasons with the Penguins, Pelini posted a 33-28 record as the head coach. He has a career mark of 100-55 which includes seven full seasons at Nebraska.

Pelini's YSU tenure was highlighted by an appearance in the 2017 FCS National Championship Game. The Penguins entered the playoffs unseeded before reeling off four straight wins to reach the title game. YSU defeated Samford and Wofford at home and upset No. 3 seed Jacksonville State and No. 2 seed Eastern Washington on the road. YSU lost in the National Championship Game to James Madison. The Penguins posted a 12-4 record in 2016 while appearing in the national title game for the first time since 1999.

Following the season, YSU had two selections in the NFL Draft – Derek Rivers (New England Patriots) and Avery Moss (New York Giants). The program had not had a draft pick since 1998.

Pelini picked up his 100th career head coaching victory on Nov. 23 in the Penguins' 21-3 win over Illinois State at Stambaugh Stadium.

Statements from Coach Bo Pelini

"The past five years have been terrific. I can't thank President Jim Tressel and Ron Strollo enough for the opportunity here and support along the way.  For all of the people, honestly too many to name, who were part of my YSU experience, I also want to extend a heartfelt thank you."

"The experience for me professionally to coach my hometown university and to appear in a championship game, is something I will always treasure.  For Mary Pat and I, Youngstown will always hold an element of home for us with our children graduating from Cardinal Mooney High School and so many of our family members residing here. My YSU days will always be special for the entire Pelini family."

"And trust me, I will be checking in every week in the fall to follow the Penguins as they continue to build on our successes and I know they have great days ahead."

"The opportunity to return to LSU is truly unique.  Culturally, with my prior experience at LSU, I know it is a great fit for me. The chance to work with Coach (Ed) Orgeron, the ability to take charge of the Tigers defense. All of that in a place that both my family and I immensely enjoyed when we were there before is very exciting for us.  We are very honored and looking forward to this next chapter."

Statement from Executive Director of Intercollegiate Athletics Ron Strollo

"We'd like to thank Coach Pelini for the passion that he brought on the field and for returning home to lead our program the past five seasons. We wish Bo and his family the best of luck in their future. The Youngstown State football program is very special to this community and we will work tirelessly to find someone to build on what Coach Pelini established here."

Offline OleYSUfan

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2020, 04:27:23 PM »
This no surprise for me. Good luck to Bo and his family at LSU. Now we must find at suitable replacement. I don't know who may be available, but I hope Jim Tressel and the staff can come up with a great replacement for Bo.

Offline YSU1

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2020, 04:57:11 PM »
face it his heart was not in it for YSU.  the Mooney connection is over

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2020, 08:17:14 PM »
Some folks are just not cut out to be the head coach, maybe DC is his niche.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 09:16:30 PM by guinpen »
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2020, 08:24:11 PM »
Bo got 3 years, 2.3 million a year from LSU

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2020, 08:43:50 AM »
I actually would not have hired Carl, but since we have already done it, he is a very good coach. IMO, better that his brother. That being said I would not object to YSU saying "no" to Carl either.
Boy, what a definite opinion 1AA!  Not sure how you could get any more wishy washy.
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2020, 01:35:12 PM »

I hope we were smart enough to have a buyout written into his contract.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2020, 12:42:33 PM »

I hope we were smart enough to have a buyout written into his contract.
I very much doubt it.  We stand to lose -0-.  The idiots at Nebraska are the guys that did a stupid deal with Pelini, not us!

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Bo-LSU -article on Tribune-Vindy
« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2020, 08:26:52 AM »

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2020, 08:51:43 AM »
https://www.tribtoday.com/sports/sport-columns/2020/01/despite-negatives-pelini-will-be-missed/
Sorry, but Joe Simon should know, it's the Nebraska Cornhuskers,and Oklahoma Sooners!

Yes, I caught that one too. But, I thought Bo might have spent sometime with the Sooners.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2020, 10:24:46 AM »
https://www.tribtoday.com/sports/sport-columns/2020/01/despite-negatives-pelini-will-be-missed/
Sorry, but Joe Simon should know, it's the Nebraska Cornhuskers,and Oklahoma Sooners!

Yes, I caught that one too. But, I thought Bo might have spent sometime with the Sooners.
He was in OK for 2004 with Bob Stoops, but Simon wasn't referring to that.  Joe screwed up, is all, no harm done, but he should know!