Author Topic: Wright St MBB game  (Read 8119 times)

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Wright St MBB game
« on: January 19, 2020, 01:19:18 AM »
Played much better after Thursday's NKU game.  Could almost say they played well enough to win...really had a lot of opportunities but Wright St made some big blocks that looked like easy buckets down the stretch that really stopped YSU momentum.  It's a shame YSU couldn't knock down some of those 3's...just 4 of 21.  Akuchie had a great look late & missed it...that one really stood out along with those blocks and Quisenberry couldn't get that one layup to fall when he got fouled.  Give YSU credit for hanging tough, every time it looked like Wright St. was about to pull away, YSU went on a mini run...just could never get over the hump.

16-18 at the FT line is very impressive, but unfortunately Wright St got to the line 30 times.

Was good to see Jamir back in there.  Had 12 rebounds and played well I thought.  I just wonder why he didn't play Thursday. 

That's 6 straight losses to Wright St.  In 8 of YSU's 9 losses, they've given up 73 or more.  And on the other hand, YSU has only won 1 game this year when the opponent has scored 73 or more.     

NKU hammered CSU by 25.  There's no doubt Wright St & NKU are the 2 best teams again.  I was really hoping YSU could get a split, but is now in a 3-way tie for 3rd.  Good thing is now 5 straight at home and none of them are against NKU or Wright State.  We'll see after this stretch where we stand with the second tier teams.   

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Wright St MBB game
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2020, 08:40:13 AM »
This team is just missing that one thing to make them from a good team to a really good/great top of the conference team. They are close...

Offline Penquin68

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2020, 09:01:40 AM »
Rob Schmidt said on the broadcast that Jamir was out on Thursday with a back problem.

We are close, but need another top player to help.  Also I thought the refs were against us, but maybe that is because I am a YSU fan.  Love got away with pushing a lot I thought. Need Jamir to touch the ball underneath more in my opinion to get us more easy points.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2020, 09:54:23 AM »
This team is just missing that one thing to make them from a good team to a really good/great top of the conference team. They are close...

We have been saying that for quite some time. The answer is resources.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2020, 12:42:01 PM »
We are tied for third place.  We have 7 of the last 11 games at home.  The two most difficult road games are behind us.  We are healthy.  Outside of WSU and NKU, nobody in the league has a better team.  No excuses. Get the job done.  If this team falls out of third place, it will be a major failure.

Offline YSU1

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2020, 01:13:07 PM »
too many turnovers.  our passing at times is awful

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2020, 02:27:02 PM »
This program finally got the right coach. Just have to keep on pushing and getting better offensively.

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2020, 07:58:15 PM »
Teams are really keying on DQ and last night Cathcart played the roll as the go to guy and he was playing very confident which helped keep us in the game.  Jamir Thomas gives us a presence in the paint.  Nice to see him getting minutes and playing time should pay dividends down the road.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2020, 06:07:42 AM »
I am not so sure we have the "right" coach, or every had the "wrong" coach Chief. We now have a different style of team than we thought we were getting with Calhoun; which I think is probably a good thing. So it seems to me we are developing a very similar team to our last coach. So are we any further ahead? Winning because of a weak league is all that I am reading

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2020, 10:09:08 AM »
Slocum was just collecting a paycheck and looking forward to retirement, give me a break. The program was dead with him at the helm.

At least Calhoun has brought some energy into the program which it desperately needed.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2020, 12:31:17 PM »
Slocum was just collecting a paycheck and looking forward to retirement, give me a break. The program was dead with him at the helm.

At least Calhoun has brought some energy into the program which it desperately needed.

That is why we were all excited, but it is still not the style of play that we thought was coming. I am also talking about coaches prior to Slocum. I would point out that we had many league leading players under Slocum ...which I hope we will see under Calhoun.

When you are a program that loses as much as they win (if not more) as a fan, you look forward to things other than conference championships and a change of style was an exciting thing for me. Kind of like football over the past couple of years, you start paying more attention to the specifics and what might be improvements in certain areas. Just as we all waited to get a real look at Waid last season.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2020, 01:11:51 PM »
I can't speak for others, but I care nothing about "style of play" or "league leaders."  All I want is to win.  Win in football.  Win in men's basketball.  Win in women's basketball. Win in track and field.  Win in every other sport that we offer.  When an obstacle to winning leaves campus (in the case of men's basketball, Slocum) I rejoice.

Offline ysuhoops24

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2020, 03:31:51 PM »
As far as talent goes, no other teams other than NKU or Wright State may be better than us but it don't mean that we don't match up well with a few teams.  I'm dreading that we see a Detroit/Cleveland State type team on our home court in the tournament. 

I just don't like how we match up with those two teams as far as physicality. 

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2020, 11:50:23 AM »
I think the program is definitely headed in the right direction.  Last year was an improvement winning those 6 straight league games.  This year produced a winning non-conference record and undefeated at home to date. 

I'm glad Coach has been able to adapt with his players and has them playing good defensive basketball for the majority of the season.  It's kept the team in most games this season.  Really outside of the 2nd half of the Louisville games along with the Akron and NKU games, this team has been competitive all year.  I would be surprised if there are any more non-competitive games the rest of the year.  That's been a big positive.  There were several years there where YSU wasn't even competitive in a lot of games and double figure losses were common. 

I think YSU's talent level has definitely improved over years past, but still lacks where it needs to be to compete for a championship and be able to win on a more consistent basis.  You look at NKU and Wright State and there's several star players (3-4) and that can score the ball consistently.  And no different than in years past with other schools.  We have Quisenberry and a lot of good players that can have big nights, but just not the consistent scoring and game changing players.  I think Naz is close and maybe next year he'll be there.  If this team stays intact, there's no reason they shouldn't improve next year.   

UIC is a team that makes me nervous.  They've definitely underperformed this year and have the veteran star players.  They had some players out early this year so their record is a little deceiving.  They've now won 2 in a row in the Horizon including Wright Stat's only defeat. 

Green Bay is a team that puts up a bunch of points so it'll be interesting if YSU can slow them down.  Seems like GB is always high scoring.  They beat NKU on the road, but strangely lost to IUPUI by 15 at home and also lost to Milwaukee at home.  They are averaging 81.5 a game, but giving up 80.2.  They play CSU Thursday so Saturday's game should be a battle for 3rd place.