Author Topic: YSU vs. WVU  (Read 14709 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Re: YSU vs. WVU
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2019, 03:00:56 PM »
The fact that there is no video for the game today is just more incompetency on the athletic department. Did they think not showing any video stream would make more people show up to the game? Embarrassing...

Cannot agree with you there Chief. You guys complain when they do something major and when they don't. This is Youngstown. If it is on TV, people will stay home and watch it. Simple as that. You people have to stop acting as though we are some educated, dedicated and experienced sports community. We do not even sell out 18k football seats with a national championship team back in the 90's; let alone $40 tickets to a basketball game. Also, it is one of the closer major universities to us. Smart move to put "butts in the seats". If we were allowed I would have made it a double-header.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2019, 03:24:48 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2019, 05:14:33 PM »
Good game. Competitive the entire way. Team played inspired led by coach. Team will keep getting better.

Offline ELPENGUIN

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2019, 05:11:32 AM »
It was so exciting to be part of the attendance at a division 1 YSU game with a major top program. To have this event in our city is a plus for the University and local region. I hope we have more basketball events such as these in the coming seasons. My applause to Ron Strollo and Eric Ryan.
"They have scalelike barbless feathers, flipperlike wings, and webbed feet and by the way also excellent athletic teams"

Offline chezmustache

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2019, 10:01:04 AM »
     Take a few minutes to view West Virginia Coach HUGGINS' postgame comments on YouTube.  There are a number of valuable nuggets contained in it.  Coach CALHOUN may want to screen it to the Penguins.       

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3Kh707sQ2A

Offline DavedS

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2019, 12:03:17 PM »
I was anxious to hear the nuggets but the sound on my computer was to low to catch much of anything. :(

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2019, 10:04:46 PM »
It was a great atmosphere...if it was promoted better the place could have been a sell out I think.

YSU definitely outplayed WVU.  When YSU got up 7 in the 2nd half I think everyone realized YSU can win this game.  Down 3 with the ball with 2 mins to go, that illegal screen call did them in as WVU went on to score the final 8.  It was a shame because the final score sure doesn't tell the world how close the game was.  Their bigs were just a little too much down the stretch.  I really wasn't impressed with the officiating throughout the game. 

I hope this game helps moving forward.  If YSU can play hard and continue to play well defensively like this, they should be able to win a lot of league games and be in games even when they struggle shooting.  I also think it showed a lot of people what YSU basketball is all about and hopefully gives some incentive to come to some home games.  I know the guy that sat beside me didn't know much about basketball, but was impressed how they played.

Offline ysuhoops24

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2019, 11:27:45 AM »
I truly think the physical strength of West Virginia wore down YSU and contributed to their victory.  We were able to hang with them making hustle plays, and some key shots in the first half but West Virginia fed off the crowds energy because it appeared maybe that their was more Mountaineer fans in attendance. 

If this Penguins team treats every game of the conference season like they did, especially at Beeghly, no reason they can't secure a top-3 seed headed into the conference tournament.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2019, 10:51:41 AM »
WV just defeated Ohio State, #2 ranked in the country, yesterday.
If we could made the outside shots and FTs, we might not be far off in contending for the league championship.

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2019, 11:16:33 AM »
A couple tough days for the buck fans. Too bad so sad! LOL
« Last Edit: December 30, 2019, 11:17:13 AM by goodnews »

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2019, 11:55:44 AM »
A couple tough days for the buck fans. Too bad so sad! LOL

It is encouraging to see the FT and 3-PT shooting rise over the last several games.  Didn't shoot the ball well early in the season and cost us some games and made others more difficult than they should have been.  Defensive intensity wasn't as good on Saturday, but at least we shot the ball pretty well where earlier in the year that would have been a loss. 

I just looked back at last year and during league play, YSU gave up over 77 ppg on avg.  So far this year, YSU has only given up 77 or more on 3 occasions.  I really think if YSU can play well defensively as they have been, it'll keep them in all of the games and should give them an opportunity to win quite a few.  Tonight's game at UIC will be a good test.  It's a team YSU has struggled against and they like to play fast and shoot 3's.  They are a veteran team.  Their record is deceiving as they had some injuries and suspensions that kept some of their stars out of many of the non-conference games.