Author Topic: Signing Day 2020  (Read 44203 times)

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Signing Day 2020
« Reply #60 on: February 06, 2020, 04:48:12 PM »
Go..the only way I could see us keeping both is if Crenshaw was turned into a full time tailback. He could be the most dominant force at that position the Missouri conference has ever seen. But at the same token he is one hell of a passer..just a pure baller
I agree with the "baller" comment, BUT.........
Waid is a very effective runner and athlete also.  I don't see him as a TB, but maybe an H back running jet sweeps may be a possibility.  The way I see it, if Crenshaw wants to play QB, he is going to play QB, here or someplace else.
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 06, 2020, 05:15:26 PM »
Given the modern offensive formations, there may just be a way to keep both Waid and Crenshaw happy and on the field most of the time.  How about this.  Waid starts at qb and Crenshaw at tb.  But Crenshaw passes 15 times per game.  How?  He runs about 20 plays from the wildcat formation but passes on half of those occasions.  The other five throws come from traditional half-back passes.  I wonder if he would be happy with that arrangement?  It would terrorize opposing defenses (if the o-line was good....big "if".)

Offline Kandrase

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 06, 2020, 07:18:09 PM »
Given the modern offensive formations, there may just be a way to keep both Waid and Crenshaw happy and on the field most of the time.  How about this.  Waid starts at qb and Crenshaw at tb.  But Crenshaw passes 15 times per game.  How?  He runs about 20 plays from the wildcat formation but passes on half of those occasions.  The other five throws come from traditional half-back passes.  I wonder if he would be happy with that arrangement?  It would terrorize opposing defenses (if the o-line was good....big "if".)

Princeton used to run a 3-QB system where they literally had all 3 qbs on the field at the same time in different positions, you never knew who was going to run, pass etc.

But since Crenshaw is here and not at one of the several P5 schools he had offers from I don’t think any shared duties will be happening, I think Crenshaw is the starter from day 1

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 07, 2020, 09:00:26 AM »

Princeton used to run a 3-QB system where they literally had all 3 qbs on the field at the same time in different positions, you never knew who was going to run, pass etc.

But since Crenshaw is here and not at one of the several P5 schools he had offers from I don’t think any shared duties will be happening, I think Crenshaw is the starter from day 1
Love Waid, but this is the only thing that makes sense for Crenshaw to sign with YSU is to play from day 1.
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 07, 2020, 10:17:52 AM »
With you Go guins Mark is a great athlete and most importantly a great kid. This has to be an emotional rollercoaster for him right about now. Obviously would never turn away talent like Crenshaw, but this is where our recruiting department really failed. You Bring in a guy like  waid and label him as your centerpiece and work really hard to get him , then the following  year you offer another quarterback  when you should be offering quality lineman and ammunition for your centerpiece.  This was always a big issue of mine with Bo. Wasted  Scholarships everywhere you looked . I really feel Phillips will be a huge improvement in this area

Offline Kandrase

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 07, 2020, 11:09:41 AM »
With you Go guins Mark is a great athlete and most importantly a great kid. This has to be an emotional rollercoaster for him right about now. Obviously would never turn away talent like Crenshaw, but this is where our recruiting department really failed. You Bring in a guy like  waid and label him as your centerpiece and work really hard to get him , then the following  year you offer another quarterback  when you should be offering quality lineman and ammunition for your centerpiece.  This was always a big issue of mine with Bo. Wasted  Scholarships everywhere you looked . I really feel Phillips will be a huge improvement in this area

To be fair, I don’t think the last coaching staff worked all that hard to get Waid, and I don’t think anyone besides us fans labeled him as the centerpiece. He got a scholarship offer way late in the process and didn’t have a ton of other offers besides Fordham IIRC. He’s definitely a great athlete and I’d be happy to see him as the guy if Crawford hadn’t come along.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 07, 2020, 11:46:06 AM »
Who knows? May be after having one year on the team, the coaches might have a different assessment on Waid as the centerpiece of our future.

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 07, 2020, 12:58:01 PM »
Hofstra eliminated football like 10 years ago.  It was Fordham.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 12:58:46 PM by goodnews »

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #68 on: February 07, 2020, 05:49:43 PM »

Yes, like a bunch of useless WR's, a crop of useless LB's and a bunch of smaller defensive linemen that went over to offense when Bo felt they did not match his needs on D; even though we all know if they do not match-up on DL, they they certainly do not match up for OL. I think it was the media who put that label on Waid. Got to give us fans something to talk about.

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 08, 2020, 10:31:50 AM »

Yes, like a bunch of useless WR's, a crop of useless LB's and a bunch of smaller defensive linemen that went over to offense when Bo felt they did not match his needs on D; even though we all know if they do not match-up on DL, they they certainly do not match up for OL. I think it was the media who put that label on Waid. Got to give us fans something to talk about.

I have to admit I was surprised they didn't let Waid run the entire offense if he was as good as everyone was claiming he was. They didn't let him throw much for a reason.

I'm not saying he can't run that scheme, but they're use of him tells me they think he can't run that scheme.

NDSU didn't seem to have any issues modifying their playbook to suit the skills of their new FR QB. How'd that work out?

Why didn't we do that for Waid if he is so great? Why didn't more schools want him?

Handing him the starting QB job and not trying to recruit someone better is folly.

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 10, 2020, 08:27:58 AM »
Looks like we got a nice transfer from BG

Melvin Jackson

Pos
CB

Height
5-11

Weight

Prospect Info
High School St. Edward 
Home Town Lakewood, OH
Exp 2017 - ...

« Last Edit: February 10, 2020, 08:49:50 AM by ysubigred »

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 10, 2020, 11:35:09 AM »
Kent St signed 5 players within a 40 mile radius of their campus. Out of those 5 players none were offered by YSU

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 10, 2020, 11:46:58 AM »
Kent St signed 5 players within a 40 mile radius of their campus. Out of those 5 players none were offered by YSU

Pessimistic: Bo probably figured out that none of these 5 guys will come to YSU.
Optimistic: Bo probably figured out that none of these 5 guys are good enough for YSU.

Offline YSU1

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 10, 2020, 02:21:22 PM »
or Bo figured out he was going to LSU.

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 10, 2020, 03:48:07 PM »

Pessimistic: Bo probably figured out that none of these 5 guys will come to YSU.
Optimistic: Bo probably figured out that none of these 5 guys are good enough for YSU.

Lets see,,, Go to a MAC school and play on national TV Tue, and Wed nights or come to YSU and hang out with Bo  :angel:
« Last Edit: February 10, 2020, 03:48:46 PM by ysubigred »