Author Topic: Tressel  (Read 10647 times)

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Tressel
« on: November 26, 2019, 09:01:00 AM »
Word is, the job of president of OSU is between Tressel and John Kasich. 
1AA, you can move this wherever you want, but this would affect YSU sports more than any other person at YSU leaving.
BTW I think  JT is 66 JK is 67
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Tressel
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2019, 09:13:04 AM »
1AA, you can move this wherever you want, but this would affect YSU sports more than any other person at YSU leaving.
I have a hard time believing that a major university like Ohio State would not want to hire a president with a Ph.D degree. The faculty would probably demand that.
Mr. Tressel was let go at OSU. I don't think they would bring him back as president.
Kasich does not have a Ph.D degree either.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2019, 09:17:11 AM »
I have a hard time believing that a major university like Ohio State would not want to hire a president with a Ph.D degree. The faculty would probably demand that.
Mr. Tressel was let go at OSU. I don't think they would bring him back as president.
Kasich does not have a Ph.D degree either.
One question I have about JT is WHY deesn't he have a PHD?  There is no reason I can think of, but that is the second biggest question about a return to OSU.  This is obviously very early on in the process and the "early leader" seldome wins.  I, for one, hope he finishes his career at YSU. He has done GREAT things here, but there is MUCH to do. 

Offline YSUinBoston

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2019, 10:35:28 AM »
One question I have about JT is WHY deesn't he have a PHD?  There is no reason I can think of, but that is the second biggest question about a return to OSU.  This is obviously very early on in the process and the "early leader" seldome wins.  I, for one, hope he finishes his career at YSU. He has done GREAT things here, but there is MUCH to do.

As someone with a Ph.D., it's a lot of work.  I suspect that's why Tressel doesn't have one.  He built his career as a football coach.  I am not sure why he'd spend years doing an academic research project.  Granted, it would likely be in something like exercise science or in some business administration thing...but getting your Ph.D. isn't like getting an MBA at night or something.

I would be shocked if OSU went the route of a gimmick hire like Tressel or Kasich.   The institution has too much national prestige for something like that.  It isn't just the lack of a Ph.D.  It s the lack of any serious academic or teaching credentials for either of these guys.  Now, in fairness, more institutions are going this route it seems.  I just think OSU thinks too much of itself to do it.  Tressel was a silly choice for YSU, but he is a local celebrity and YSU is functional a regional university.  It makes more sense.  I can't see any other institution he would make sense for in such a high level position.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2019, 12:14:02 PM »
Tressel has done a much better job than our last 2 presidents (with Ph.D).
He has done a lot to provide better facilities and to engage the students. He kept the university budget in balance.
Administratively, he has done a good job for the university.

However, he really has not done much for the academic side. He has hired many administrators but he has not kept up in replacing many departed faculty members or laboratory equipment.

Online IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2019, 02:52:10 PM »
I understand that he resigned last Wednesday before he interviewed at OSU on Thursday. So JT is gone from YSU in either case. If you will read my post from a few days ago in the Fire Bo thread, I said OSU president Tressel. It has been on all the local channels here in Columbus.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2019, 04:12:18 PM »
I understand that he resigned last Wednesday before he interviewed at OSU on Thursday. So JT is gone from YSU in either case. If you will read my post from a few days ago in the Fire Bo thread, I said OSU president Tressel. It has been on all the local channels here in Columbus.

Yes and Bo is taking over as president of YSU!

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2019, 04:52:31 PM »
Were you able to verify this with a second source?. I could not find any information on it.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2019, 05:53:45 PM »

Hope you are wrong but if not

Lebron Tressel
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2019, 06:23:28 PM »

As someone with a Ph.D., it's a lot of work.  I suspect that's why Tressel doesn't have one.  He built his career as a football coach.  I am not sure why he'd spend years doing an academic research project.  Granted, it would likely be in something like exercise science or in some business administration thing...but getting your Ph.D. isn't like getting an MBA at night or something.

I would be shocked if OSU went the route of a gimmick hire like Tressel or Kasich.   The institution has too much national prestige for something like that.  It isn't just the lack of a Ph.D.  It s the lack of any serious academic or teaching credentials for either of these guys.  Now, in fairness, more institutions are going this route it seems.  I just think OSU thinks too much of itself to do it.  Tressel was a silly choice for YSU, but he is a local celebrity and YSU is functional a regional university.  It makes more sense.  I can't see any other institution he would make sense for in such a high level position.

A PhD only means that you've studied a subject in great detail and you have very specific knowledge. This doesn't translate into being a good leader. I actually have a purpose for PhDs as I use them for sanity checks when making big decisions at work. They are not usually the best leaders but they tend to be good at navigating things on a social level vs some introverted engineer types.

The president of a university should not necessarily be a PhD. A good leader will hire good people around hin/ her a d make things happen. I disagree with the assessment that Tressel was a bad choice. As a me5latter of fact he has spend far less time in athletics and I would expect more if he were more engaged there..

Offline Kandrase

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2019, 10:56:16 PM »

Tressel definitely did not resign last Wednesday. Not sure what the Columbus media is saying, but I believe at least one news source in Ytown would have reported on it.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2019, 10:59:45 PM by Kandrase »

Online IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2019, 06:13:42 AM »
Channel 28 just reported that he was in town. The retirement was what everyone was talking about at the tailgate and game Saturday; since I do not live in town I assumed that I missed it. Columbus media did not mention that.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2019, 06:26:01 AM by IAA Fan »

Offline Kandrase

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2019, 07:31:22 AM »
Channel 28 just reported that he was in town. The retirement was what everyone was talking about at the tailgate and game Saturday; since I do not live in town I assumed that I missed it. Columbus media did not mention that.

oh “retirement” Ohio State’s president Drake announced his retirement last week. Youngstown state president Jim tressel did not announce his resignation.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2019, 07:52:49 AM »

FAKE NEWS

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2019, 08:24:34 AM »

JT had years at Akron with no real job; he could have gotten a PHD if he wanted one. 
OSU, gimmicks?  First JT and Kasich aren't my idea of gimmicks.  I consider that an insult to the outstanding job Tressel as done at YSU and the job Kasich did as Gov. of Ohio,  The job is running a multimillion $ multi thousand employee business, not teaching freshman English.  But if you think OSU is above gimmicks how the heck to you explain that clown Gee for years.  He was certainly a gimmick if there ever was one.   (The answer to Gee?  He was a clown as pres., no doubt, but he was an incredible fund raiser. So is JT, so is JK.)  I love the academics and their “above it all” attitude, and "teaching credentials” importance.  The job is fund raising!