Author Topic: NC Central & USC Upstate Basketball Games vs YSU  (Read 2287 times)

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
NC Central & USC Upstate Basketball Games vs YSU
« on: November 24, 2019, 08:57:02 PM »
Wasn't any talk after YSU's game on Saturday against USC Upstate, and it got me thinking how eerily similar the games against NC Central & USC Upstate were.

In the NC Central game, YSU led by as many as 16, trailed by a couple late and went on an 8-0 run to end the game winning 66-60.

In the USC Upstate game, YSU led by as many as 13, trailed by 4 late and went on a 9-0 run to end the game winning 66-61. 

I don't think either of those teams are very good especially USC Upstate.  It felt like YSU should have blown them out, but again missed so many close range shots and just continues to shoot poorly from the field.  The good thing though is they managed to win both games after giving away the Louisiana game.  They might have lost all 3 early last year.  You hope games like that can help when Horizon League play gets underway. 

It was good to see Simmons finally break out of his slump and Akuckie had a good game after struggling of late.  Hard to believe though only 2 combined points from Naz, Cathcart & Hamperian that all started. 

With Westminster up next, YSU should be 4-3 heading into Thanksgiving, which is pretty much what you expected.  I really hope the guys can find their touch on Wednesday. 

It's still mind boggling to me the shooting struggles after 6 games.  I'm not sure what's more frustrating, the missed layups, put backs, etc or the terrible 3-PT shooting. 

The 3-PT % is just horrific.  I can't believe Morgan is only at 15% and so is Covington.  Cathcart is under 17%.  Akuckie is under 21%.  Even Quisenberry is only at 28%.

I really don't understand not using Thomas more.  It almost reminds me of when we had Tyree Robinson.  I know there was stamina issues with him. 

Definitely going to have to play better against Central Michigan, Robert Morris and Western Michigan 

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: NC Central & USC Upstate Basketball Games vs YSU
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2019, 09:32:24 PM »
USC Upstate is a really bad D1 basketball team,that We should of beat by double digits.  My expectations have to be a little higher based on the returning players.   Having no inside presence causes a problem.  It's essential to be able to throw the ball inside to loosen up the perimeter.
Naz has played very tentative the last two outings.  He needs to attack the basket and not worry so much about the lengthy defenders.
The shooting numbers that mudclods posted are worse than bad.  Simmons showed better as did Tyler Foster. 

The guys are busting their tails so it's not an effort problem.  They're just not in rhythm and hopefully they'll get those percentages up.   Playing a small line up with poor 3 point shooting is not a winning recipe.

Need Ola back ASAP.  Need more minutes for Jamir Thomas.