Poll

Should Coach Bo Pelini be fired or ask to resign?

Yes
5 (33.3%)
No
6 (40%)
Fire Bo and AD Strollo
4 (26.7%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Voting closed: December 02, 2019, 05:41:20 PM

Author Topic: Should Coach Pelini be fired or resign  (Read 19525 times)

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Should Coach Pelini be fired or resign
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2019, 11:32:02 PM »
To state the obvious, Strollo is a polarizing figure.  If you are a member of the donor class or the Penguin Club, you love the guy because he treats these folks very well.  If you are a regular season ticket buyer or a common fan, you wonder how this character still has a job.

There is no denying that the athletic facilities have expanded greatly under his watch.  Personally, I believe that would have happened under any athletic director but the fact remains that it happened under Strollo.

But as Go has noted earlier this evening, Strollo allowed a national football power to erode beyond recognition and he failed to improve the poor basketball program that he inherited.  Throw in also the fact that Strollo murdered DeGregorio's women's basketball team with two horrible politically correct hires.  He did resurrect the program by turning to Boldon and Barnes.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2019, 09:14:14 AM »
You have a new tennis center because Tressel got the funds to complete the press box and countless other donations.  You cant possibly convince me that Strollo is capable of raising $$$ to make a difference?  However, with the new press box you get an incompetent defensive coordinator.  BTW there are only 34 Division I bowling teams.  Therefore, much easier to compete and be successful.   

...and you cannot possibly convince me that the future of this campus and the direction of our athletic programs were not "written in stone" long before Tressel came back. Thus the reason he was hired. Bo hires his own staff, as has every coach in YSU football history. Press box has nothing to do with it.  You forget that Carl Pelini is up in that press box & Bo could have have named him DC on paper. Bo should have removed enough dead wood to keep the best OC we ever had, you know the guy who is on his way to an FCS final game match-up with North Dakota State and should be leading YSU's offense there instead.
"and you cannot possibly convince me that the future of this campus and the direction of our athletic programs were not "written in stone" long before Tressel came back"
That is certainly true.  No matter how wrong you are, any time on the blog and a pea would know you are in love with everything Strollo. 
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2019, 05:53:28 PM »
I would not say that I am everything Strollo. When we do move in terms of conference ...he may no longer be the best choice. However, as with most positions dealing with YSU sports ...we may not be able to afford anyone better. Until we make our move, or at least be in a position to do so, Strollo is the best choice. Just because I am more rational about it, does not make me blind.

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2019, 09:28:02 PM »
MAKE A CONFERENCE MOVE?

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2019, 10:04:11 PM »
MAKE A CONFERENCE MOVE?

Lol to where?

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2019, 06:36:09 AM »
Does anyone think Bob Davie is retiring, or will he be looking? Is he a good choice for YSU?

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2019, 06:37:14 AM »
From today's Tribune/Vindy

Simon saw it all with YSU

LOCAL SPORTS
NOV 26, 2019

GREG GULAS
Correspondent
sports@tribtoday.com

BEAVER TOWNSHIP — As the Tribune Chronicle beat writer for Youngstown State football, sportswriter Joe Simon has witnessed the highs and lows of the YSU program while maintaining the neutrality, albeit tough at times, expected of a staff member.

“One of the the toughest parts of my job is having to criticize a coach or player,” Simon told the Curbstone Coaches during Monday’s weekly meeting at Avion Banquet Center. “You build relationships with these people, and it’s not easy when you have to critique them for such a large audience, but it’s part of the job.”

A 2000 graduate of Liberty High School, Simon earned his undergraduate degree in journalism-mass communications from Kent State University.

He has covered the Penguins’ grid team on and off since ’01 when he was a member of the school newspaper’s sports staff, The Jambar.

Simon started at the Tribune Chronicle in 2004, took a two-year hiatus from 2010-12 to work for another newspaper and since 2012 has been the Tribune Chronicle’s expert on YSU football.

He has covered the last three head coaches since current President Jim Tressel left for Ohio State after the 2000 season, noting that Jon Heacock, who succeeded Tressel, Eric Wolford and now Bo Pelini were all good coaches in their own way.

“I started at The Jambar when Jon Heacock took over for Jim Tressel, and he was excellent to work with,” Simon said. “Ask anyone who worked with Jon Heacock, and they’ll have nothing but glowing remarks, and he was a very good coach. He took the Penguins to the FCS playoffs in 2006 before losing to eventual national champion Appalachian State.

“Coach Wolford came next and he, too, was a good coach who could really recruit. When Bo Pelini came in, the expectations went up. People expected YSU to compete for national titles right away. That’s not easy to do. He’s an excellent X’s and O’s coach who truly cares about his team and players.”

Simon said he receives e-mails asking whether Pelini is the right man for the job after another disappointing season.

“YSU football has been a tough topic of late because of how things have been going around the program,” he said. “Pelini went 12-4 in 2016 and made it to the FCS national championship, but since then they’ve been inconsistent. They lost badly to some average teams this year and then dominated the No.6 ranked team in the country, Illinois State, on Saturday.

“If it was a different coach then that coach might be gone because of the expectations, but Bo’s contract was extended in March, so he’ll probably be here for the next three years.”

Simon called Pelini a players’ coach.

“Bo is a fiery and intense coach, and that’s all some people see,” Simon said. “I think he realizes some changes have to be made in how he coaches. It might seem like there’s a disconnect at times because when players play loose, like they did on Saturday, you saw the result as they dominated Illinois State.

“When they play tight, it’s been tough and you see the inconsistency. I think he realizes that a new approach is needed when dealing with the new generation of players. He’s hinted at some coaching staff changes and will be the first to tell you the defense, which has been inconsistent, is on him.”

Simon added Pelini works extremely hard and really appreciates his blue-collar work ethic.

“Senior defensive back Kyle Hegedus said it best when I asked him about coach Pelini,” Simon said. “He said coach Pelini is going to get on you and be tough on you, especially the way we’ve been playing. The best thing is to listen to what he says and not how he’s saying it.”

Simon said YSU’s last two recruiting classes have been better, and this year’s freshman class has considerable talent.

“I’m a big fan of quarterback Nate Mays and they’ll have a hard time replacing his leadership,” he said. “He’s one of the toughest players and competitors I have ever covered. As for freshman Mark Waid of Girard, Bo said there’s no play that they are afraid to call with him under center, so expect a competition between him and Joe Craycraft to see who will be starting quarterback next season.”

Offline peteonastick

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2019, 08:32:18 AM »
“Bo is a fiery and intense coach, and that’s all some people see,” Simon said. “I think he realizes some changes have to be made in how he coaches. It might seem like there’s a disconnect at times because when players play loose, like they did on Saturday, you saw the result as they dominated Illinois State.

“When they play tight, it’s been tough and you see the inconsistency. I think he realizes that a new approach is needed when dealing with the new generation of players. He’s hinted at some coaching staff changes and will be the first to tell you the defense, which has been inconsistent, is on him.”

I think we have to come to the realization that Bo is not going anywhere soon unless he gets offered a dream coordinator position.  We will see as the seasons come to an end and people start losing their jobs around the country if his name comes up.  Other than that, he will be back. 

Again, we see another article on the "changes that have to be made in how he coaches."  Athletes cannot be afraid to make mistakes!!!  I cannot believe that we are reading this about a national level coach.  Granted, players need dressed down when they make mistakes, but that happens in the locker room during film sessions and review of play and it stays there! This does not happen in the public in front of friends and family.  You get on players during the week, tear them down, build them up, and then cut them loose on gameday hoping that you prepared them for the job ahead - coaching 101!!!  Then after the contest, you reflect on play, reflect on preparation, find the mistakes and fix them.  If the player or coach is not capable of fixing them, next man up.  90% of college sports is recruiting the right athlete!  I raised two college level athletes, one Division 1 and I know personally that if they played timid and not confident, it showed in their performance. 

I am not convinced he is a "players coach."  If he was, those kids would not have preformed like they did during the season.  They would have fought to the end, not quit and ran through a brick wall for the coach and program.  I know he is not a "yes" man with administration and the public so that tarnishes his image.  I think that is one change that has to be made, he has to be more open and transparent with the media, fans, and university. 

I am anxious to see the changes and would like to see them happen this week if it involved coaching that way we can get on the horn and start a search for the best coordinators we can find. 

THE DRIVE FOR 5

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2019, 08:40:15 AM »
MAKE A CONFERENCE MOVE?

Lol to where?
The OVC is the obvious choice.  Get all the programs under one roof. (with the possible exception of bowling??)
Major reduction of travel expense. More natural rivalries. You lose a heartbreaker in football, you get a chance in basketball etc.  Much better to have common opponents in a variety of sports.
OVC plays beach volleyball.  If we are looking for Title IX women’s positions, beach volleyball is far more appealing than bowling.

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2019, 12:03:16 PM »
OVC  would make sense.  Tired of hearing how we play in the SEC of football.  It has never been a good fit.
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2019, 02:54:47 PM »
We played a team missing 2 OL and their QB. Their top TB was playing at maybe 50%. Of course none of this will change this year. a 100% ILS would have beat up on us like SIU.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2019, 05:47:19 PM »
We played a team missing 2 OL and their QB. Their top TB was playing at maybe 50%. Of course none of this will change this year. a 100% ILS would have beat up on us like SIU.

Not like we were 100%. You can never speculate on what ifs, they fielded their best players that day and so did we. Ours were better.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2019, 08:36:03 AM »
I think WE were missing a couple OL and our QB?  Next man up.  Trying to make excuses for winning is as poor as making excuses for losing.  We beat the up front, all day long, both sides of the ball.  Not our fault our freshman QB is better than their freshman QB.  Not our fault our guys played harder than their guys. 

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2019, 05:13:41 PM »
I think WE were missing a couple OL and our QB?  Next man up.  Trying to make excuses for winning is as poor as making excuses for losing.  We beat the up front, all day long, both sides of the ball.  Not our fault our freshman QB is better than their freshman QB.  Not our fault our guys played harder than their guys.

Exactly, we were not 100% either. That was a nice win.

Offline DavedS

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2019, 07:43:14 PM »
That's also a matter of opinion--with the way our defense was playing ,ILS @ 110% would've still got their butts kicked. 8)