Author Topic: YSU vs Illinois St  (Read 20928 times)

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: YSU vs Illinois St
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2019, 05:00:22 PM »
Very enjoyable game, nice weather, very good defensive effort. The fair weather fans missed a good game, their loss.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2019, 09:27:09 AM »
I am going to see Nate Mays before the game & give him his well-deserved standing ovation, along with the rest of this class. These are the last of the pre-Bo players and there is only a couple of them left.
You were right in your deserved ovation request, but Bo outdid you on this one.  The end of the game tribute was one I've never seen the equal!
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2019, 06:15:05 PM »
Of course Ill St wins their first round game on the road 24-3. Robinson ran for just under 300.

Offline DavedS

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2019, 08:42:41 PM »
Of course Ill St wins their first round game on the road 24-3. Robinson ran for just under 300.
Robinson must have healed--I read he was only about 50% against us.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2019, 10:16:05 AM »
Robinson must have healed--I read he was only about 50% against us.

If that. You people make me laugh. The worst YSU team (at least on defense) in recent memory and suddenly we became a top-5 club in one week?  :o  We have enormous amounts of work to do to be a real football team. Not too much if we wish to be a Pelini football team. When they have no QB, you can pretty much stop any offense. I mean their QB only completed 3 passes? btw, Robinson did rush for over 80-yards against us at almost 4-yards-per-carry, this despite YSU double-teaming him on every play. Besides SeMO?
« Last Edit: December 01, 2019, 11:16:17 AM by IAA Fan »

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2019, 11:21:49 AM »
BTW: I do not mean to disrespect SeMO for being in the post-season, they did play well late in the season.

Offline DavedS

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2019, 12:13:49 PM »
We definitely weren't a top 5 team--we were more like a bi-polar team,some weeks playing "lights out "and some weeks playing  like "who cares?"

Offline DavedS

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2019, 12:30:48 PM »
BTW: I do not mean to disrespect SeMO for being in the post-season, they did play well late in the season.
They were ranked #12--a helluva lot higher than YSU and still lost to a team without a QB--that's why they play the game instead of using projected statistics! ;)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2019, 12:32:01 PM »
We definitely weren't a top 5 team--we were more like a bi-polar team,some weeks playing "lights out "and some weeks playing  like "who cares?"

I agree David, but that is because everything with coach Bo is "big play". With big plays on offense you score quick or it is 3 & out. With big play defense you drop the QB for a loss of he burns you. There is no balance on defense whatsoever and little of it on offense. We blitz or we double-cover receivers. We rotate offensive backs with little attentions to development or running style. It took Mays being less that 100% from off-season surgery to keep him from running & his back-ups were the same. All of Mays successful passing was short-side throw for the end zone. Yet he has always shown the ability to work traffic, as do Craycraft and Waid. Perhaps even more-so with Craycraft and Waid. Craycraft was darn impressive working the sidelines against ILS. Waid was almost as good with less experience.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2019, 12:35:03 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2019, 08:48:42 PM »
On to the final 8, Robinson had an off game, only 210 yards. Bison next

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2019, 03:21:43 PM »
Bison over Illinois St. 9-3..Quarterback play for the Redbirds was a major problem all year. I like James Madison to win the championship. Shane Montgomery is doing a good job with the Dukes offense

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2019, 05:37:53 PM »
Remember that Illinois State lost their starting quarterback the week before they played us.  He was not great but he was way better than the stiffs that replaced him.  The fact the Illinois State actually won two playoffs games with lousy quarterback play just tells us that half the FCS field was terrible.

The three MVFC teams that have been eliminated so far have lost only to other MVFC rivals or to James Madison.  In fact, the upper echelon of FCS football consists only of the first division of the MVFC plus James Madison.  That will be reinforced next week when NDSU and JMU both wallop Big Sky pretenders.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2019, 07:13:02 PM »
They had a good run, we both were missing players, what could have been.

As for the rest of FCS, the fun continues for ndsu but the division as a whole is no where near as competitive as it was years ago. Too many of the top teams have moved up, not as interesting as it once was.

Offline YSU1

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2019, 08:57:32 PM »
what does that say about YSU since we can't even get into the play-offs

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2019, 08:22:53 PM »
what does that say about YSU since we can't even get into the play-offs

It tells us that we let the wrong coach go 3 years ago.