Author Topic: More Bad Publicity  (Read 18999 times)

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
More Bad Publicity
« on: November 09, 2019, 09:01:39 PM »

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: More Bad Publicity
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2019, 09:49:38 PM »
How can the athletic department so inept? It's embarrassing

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2019, 10:06:54 PM »
Chief,

You can answer your own question.  Just think about it.  The athletic department dwells in a closed society.  Ron Strollo treats the Penguin Club members like royalty, and they return that favor with their loyalty and devotion. They repeatedly tell each other how wonderful they are, and they believe it.  They can do no wrong.  There is an excuse for everything.  They ignore fans outside their little club and the general public, and they control a docile media.

There is only one man who can nuke this department and rebuild it from the ground up.  I would hope that he would do so before he retires.  It would be his last of many contributions to this university.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2019, 08:35:56 AM »
These cronies that supposedly exist all stem from Coach T. If you are going to clean house ...clean house. YSU can no longer be a football-only school and has not been for a long time. Strollo and Tressel know this. This is evidence of the success of your administration; not a reflection of it's failures. If you wish to see the evidence, try attending a campus event; YSU is an impressive university and it came off the back of "athletics" ...not "football".

As to those saying to bring back coach Wolf ...if he was really any good, he would be a head coach right now.

As to these news sources that no one has ever heard of, or read? With a team about to drop below mediocrity, ignoring one of greatest rivals in college football, residing in a conference they do not like and fans of which do not like them, I would think Husker fans would have better things to do than look back at Bo Pelini.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2019, 08:58:27 AM by IAA Fan »

Offline gbs20

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2019, 09:09:24 AM »
C'mon. Why does Tressel get a pass? These decisions are discussed at the highest levels. Its a typical football coach mindset---create a cocoon, keep outside influences away, hope no one notices, and say as little as possible when they do.  Notice how Tressel is front and center when good things happen and no where to be found on this and everything is through a "spokesman".  The sexual assault situation is beyond embarrassing. What does it say to female students and employees? It reflects a much larger cultural problem.

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2019, 09:36:37 AM »
Say what you want about Wolford.  Take away his first year he was over 500 in a conference play against a much stronger Missouri conference then what exists today and at least fielded competitive teams.  Bottom line is we are 8-14 in conference since 2016, and likely will drop to  8-16 at seasons end. I'm very concerned with what we have returning next season and a single win  in conference could prove difficult. Maybe Wolford wasn't head coaching material for the YSU vision,  but it certainly didn't take long for the Forty- Niners and South Carolina  to acquire his services. It would be very interesting to see how many teams knocked on Bo's door after the 2018 seasons end

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2019, 11:00:40 AM »
The program is in shambles. No discipline, blown assignments on almost every play, players getting into it on the sidelines, half the team clearly doesn't give a crap any more.

This is an embarrassment and it would NOT be an easy fix, and that's making the GIANT assumption that the athletic dept sees this as a problem, and I don't believe they do.

We've got a big hole to climb out of to become respectable again and I don't think we have the right people in the correct positions to do so...I'm speaking about administration not the team.

I can't recall ever being this disappointed in our team. If they don't care why should we?

Offline peteonastick

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2019, 11:30:00 AM »
The biggest disappointing season in a long time.  Nothing positive has come out of this debacle.  Embarrassing is the only word that can describe it.  I can't see anyone at the last game other than the parent of the seniors.  He should do the right thing and either announce his resignation now or that he will be resigning at the end of the season.  If he won't then the administration needs to tighten the screws on the program, cut coaching staff in the budget, limit his ability to coach, sacrifice the remaining years on his contract by just gutting the program to the point of major embarrassment on his part so that it affects his ability to get another coaching position.  He would have to see the writing on the wall...which I am not sure he can through the ego glasses that he wears.  There needs to be a come to Jesus meeting with him.  Recruiting has gone down the drain.  We do not have tough, hard nosed kids.  We have baby's that give up and don't know how to deal with adversity.  We are recruiting the wrong kids regardless of talent.  I would rather see a bunch of hungry, athletic kids who play multiple sports in high school who can learn, develop, and become great players.  We don't and cannot develop players anymore.  They are the same as freshman as they are as seniors.  That is a testament to the assistant coaches and program. 

Although I am beginning to think that not many people care about the program anymore and they just don't care who coaches it or who is in charge.  The program is dying on the vine.  It is like the old story of the frog that will jump out of a pot of hot water when you throw it in but will die when you put it in a pot of cold water and turn on the heat.  It will just sit thinking it will get colder at some point until it is too late.  It needs a shot of adrenaline and it is not going to come from the current staff or administration.  Time to clean house.

THE DRIVE FOR 5

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2019, 12:33:35 PM »
Stick,

That is an excellent summary of this disgusting situation.  Every point is right on the mark.  The problem is that it does not matter what you or I or any other common fan thinks.  Nothing changes until the donor class and those penguin club groupies demand it.  I suspect they will remain a contented and pampered lot while the football program disintegrates beyond the point of reclamation.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2019, 12:42:13 AM »
The article I posted 1st is disgusting and somebody should be fired over it.

Offline YSUFANSINCE1990

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2019, 07:33:19 AM »
  Very good posts above.  Tressel does have to own some of this.  If he went in and told Strollo a change has to be made with the football program, then it would happen.  Strollo played for Tressel and before leaving for Ohio State, Tressel made sure Strollo was hired as AD.

Strollo may have some strengths, but making tough decisions is not one of them. He doesn't have it in him to fire Pelini, even though he knows it has to happen.   

Pelini era is a disaster.  He looks at this job as a hobby, and the program is right now has lost almost all of it's support. 

Offline gbs20

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2019, 08:20:36 AM »
The article I posted 1st is disgusting and somebody should be fired over it.

Im the only one who commented on it, sharing your disgust.  Everyone else commented on the state of the football program. Im not sure who should be fired. These decisions are made at the top and reflect the culture created at the top.  I wouldnt want some underling thrown to the wolves to protect the President who had to have signed off on this decision.  Its the job of the President to set the moral tone for the institution and say...wait a minute, we cant do this. At the very least he should say something publically and not send out another spokesman.

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2019, 07:33:02 PM »
gbs20 and Chief, completely agree. I read the first article and was just wondering what about that whole thing seemed like a good decision.

I'm pretty upset. This is a pattern now at YSU.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2019, 09:00:54 AM »
VERY VERY bad. Heads are going to roll. Wouldn’t be surprised if it’s somebody very important in the administration

https://gatehousenews.com/data_stories/ysu-unseals-sexual-assault-record/