Author Topic: YSU 61 Oakland 60  (Read 2892 times)

Online ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
YSU 61 Oakland 60
« on: January 09, 2020, 09:40:15 PM »
It was an ugly win but it's still a win.   Miachael Akuchie played his best all around game as a Penguin.  He's gotten much tougher/physical over the last 3 years.  I think I heard that the last time they went 7-0 at Beeghly was the 1983 season.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2020, 09:41:21 PM by ucfpengbuck »

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: YSU 61 Oakland 60
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2020, 10:51:04 PM »
Great game. Especially after starting down 13-0.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2020, 10:57:33 PM »
Q is the man

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2020, 12:05:31 AM »
Certainly a strange game but in the end it pretty much turned out what you expected...ugly, physical, low scoring, and down to the wire.  It's just unbelievable how many of the YSU-Oakland games have gone down to the wire over the years.  Oakland has generally always had a better team except maybe this year, but YSU seems to step up.  This game just goes to show you what I have said many times this year that if YSU can continue to play well defensively it'll keep them in games and get them some wins like tonight.  This game would have been ugly in years past, and really for as bad as the game started it could have been a lot worse. 

Seems liked YSU came out tight to start.  While Oakland's defense was good, YSU just couldn't knock down shots...had some good looks plus had some bad turnovers.  You had to think they'd start hitting shots but boy it seemed like the 1st half was ticking away fast.  I thought once YSU got it down to 6, they were back in the game and settled down.

In the second half, I kept thinking if YSU could ever stretch out the lead they may be ok and once it got to 6 it felt like they had the momentum, but then the lead was gone.  You just knew then it was going down to the final possession. 

After a tough first half that followed one of his worst games of the year, Quisenberry really stepped it up in the second half.  I was surprised on YSU's last possession they didn't pinch him to the sidelines and once he got past those 2 defenders at halfcourt he had a great shot at going all the way or at least drawing a foul.

Akuchie was tremendous.  I just love how he's improved his game so much.  I've really enjoyed watching him improve since his freshman year.  He's such a stronger and more confident player and it's great to see him knocking shots down.  He really was the difference in this game with 20 points & 10 rebounds. 

I wish Ola could really improve his strength and decision making.  It's too bad he lost so much time this year. 

Tough game for Covington.  Just couldn't get anything to fall and struggled with the ball, but he still played well on the defensive end.     

I think it's really critical YSU takes care of business on Saturday and get to 4-1 with Northern Kentucky and Wright St. up next on the road.  If they could split next week and get to 5-2, they have 5 straight home games against Milwaukee, Green Bay, UIC, IUPUI & Cleveland St.  Even though anything can happen in this league, you would have to feel pretty good about that stretch. 

The surprise of the league so far has to be Cleveland St.  They've won 3 straight games and are at 3-1.  And the way they've been playing, they have a shot at beating Oakland Saturday at home.