Author Topic: YSU - CSU MBB  (Read 4003 times)

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
YSU - CSU MBB
« on: January 05, 2020, 01:46:10 AM »
This game reminded me of YSU games from years past when we just couldn't get stops & missed too many close range shots & layups. In addition giving up too many easy baskets when we tried to press them. CSU wanted the game more & you could tell that from the start. The 50-50 balls & the bounces really seemed to go there way.

Every time CSU got the lead up to 7-9, YSU would fight back but never could get over the hump. I thought a big key was how the 1st half ended & the 2nd half started. YSU lost the momentum at the end of the half & CSU scored the first 4 fast.

The shame of it was YSU really shot the ball well from 3. Simmons & Akuchie were knocking down 3's & Naz had another tremendous game. Give them credit for shutting down Quisenberry. That was a big factor.

Really wish we could get more out of Jamir & Ola. They didn't even get many mins. I wish Jamir would stop taking those long range shots

I had a bad feeling about this game. CSU seems to have YSU's number- that's 5 straight. They were a better team than their record & was afraid YSU might not have the intensity. I would have taken 2 out of 3 to start the season on the road but missed a big chance to get a leg up.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: YSU - CSU MBB
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2020, 08:50:41 AM »
That was a game this team had to win. CSU owns Calhoun since he got here...

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2020, 09:52:22 AM »
The next two home games are must wins. Lose one or both then it changes the Outlook of how we finish in the conference upper echelon. Yesterday seemed like we couldn't play any defense and we got outrebounded and out of hustled

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2020, 11:16:51 AM »
That was a game this team had to win. CSU owns Calhoun since he got here...

It took a buzzer beater 3 pointer by Cam Morse to beat CSU in Calhoun's first Horizon League game.  Since then, that's 5 straight losses. 

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2020, 07:16:06 PM »
Mud, good observations on the game.
I watched the entire game on ESPN 3. I think we had trouble with CSU because they played the similar style of game as YSU.

All 5 of their guys ran up and down the court and also all went for the rebounds. We had trouble blocking them out.
The other problem that we had was that we did not any one could shoot the step back or pull up 10-12 foot jump shots.
We shot the 3s or drove in the the lay ups . Unfortunately, we missed many lay ups because the defense collapsed . A short pull up jumpers might be able to keep the defense honest.

They definitely had our numbers. My goodness, they were picked to finished last in the league. We were able to defeat UIC (picked #2) on their home court. But, we could beat CSU.

Offline Penquin68

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2020, 07:18:13 PM »
Too many easy layups for Cleveland State.  Not sure why Jamir and Ola are not in more to prevent those easy baskets.  One that was especially bad was on an in bounds play under the basket.  And they kept DQ from getting the ball.  The opening tip was a omen of things to come when they beat us down the floor off the tip.  Encouraging was the scoring of Naz and Jalani.  I think jalani needs to play more; he is athletic and can shoot the ball from 3 and close in.  Difficult match up for the other team.  Hope the coaches can get the 2 big guys up to playing significant minutes and contributing.

Also disturbing is how Cleveland State can loose so many players in the middle of the summer, and a coach, and go out and get quality players and get them up to speed so quickly.  We sure don't seem to be able to do that.  Not sure why.

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2020, 11:15:11 PM »
I couldn't agree more with the above 2 posts.  I thought the same thing that CSU basically duplicated how YSU has been playing, and that opening tip really did set the tone.  Those big dunks they had too really got them and their crowd into it.  Hard to believe YSU could outrebound WVU but get outrebounded by 7 to CSU.  It really shows you that when you play good defense it gives you a chance to win every game compared to this game when YSU shot the ball better from 3-PT than they did all year, make 8 more 3's than CSU and still lose by 8.

I know Simmons was struggling earlier in the season, but I'd like to see him start in place of Cathcart.  He's been playing much better of late.  I thought maybe too Hamperian might get some playing time after he played pretty decent earlier in the year.  Seems like Foster's PT has decreased too.

It's a weird league this year.  I thought Wright St. was clearly the class of the league and they only beat Detroit by 1 today.  It really shows after a few games that literally anyone can beat anyone.  CSU looked to be a dumpster fire back in the summer.  I was impressed with them getting some wins in non-conference and players others pretty tough.  Like I said above, I had a bad feeling about this game.  Add in IUPUI beating Green Bay and Milwaukee beating UIC.

I think the biggest surprises are CSU at 2-1, Oakland at 1-2, UIC at 1-3, and you could even say Northern KY only at 2-2.