Author Topic: Men's Basketball  (Read 6473 times)

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Men's Basketball
« on: November 02, 2019, 11:06:49 PM »
Lots to look forward to this year! Plenty of returning starters along with some nice newcomers including the ECU transfer. I would say a top 5 finish in the conference wouldn't be a surprise!

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Men's Basketball
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2019, 11:09:23 PM »
Open the season Tuesday night!

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2019, 09:06:27 PM »
Really looking forward to this year more than any in recent years.  I think this is best YSU team in years with what's returning.  Think there's a shot at a winning record and top 5 of the Horizon League.  Odd way to start the year with Thiel on Tuesday then Louisville on Sunday, which I've seen ranked anywhere from 3rd to 7th. 

Sports Illustrated has us ranked 189 & 5th in the Horizon.  I really think we have a shot at getting 8 non-conference wins.   Would be nice to have a winning record heading into League play, regain some of the magic from last year, be more consistent and play better defense.

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2019, 08:24:08 AM »
I'm super pumped for this season.   There's a lot of versatility where many can play different positions.   My biggest concern is the post.  Only two there and foul trouble can make us a small team.  This should be a team that can get out and run the floor and there is depth at every position except center.

Playing Thiel is more or less an exhibition .  Kind of like OSU played Cedarville.

I just read that Olamadie Pedersen is going to miss the first 8 games with a broken hand.  Post is really thin with depth.  Akuchie will most likely fill in .
« Last Edit: November 05, 2019, 08:45:46 AM by ucfpengbuck »

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2019, 08:57:21 AM »
I'm super pumped for this season.   There's a lot of versatility where many can play different positions.   My biggest concern is the post.  Only two there and foul trouble can make us a small team.  This should be a team that can get out and run the floor and there is depth at every position except center.

Playing Thiel is more or less an exhibition .  Kind of like OSU played Cedarville.

I just read that Olamadie Pedersen is going to miss the first 8 games with a broken hand.  Post is really thin with depth.  Akuchie will most likely fill in .

I knew Ola had that broken hand back in the summer and missed those exhibition games but I didn't realize he wouldn't be ready for the opener.  He's one I really hope can improve this year.  Wish Sally had stuck around to give us size in the post. 

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2019, 09:01:30 AM »

I knew Ola had that broken hand back in the summer and missed those exhibition games but I didn't realize he wouldn't be ready for the opener.  He's one I really hope can improve this year.  Wish Sally had stuck around to give us size in the post.

Same hand different area.   https://www.tribtoday.com/sports/ysu-sports/2019/11/penguin-men-look-for-breakout-year/

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2019, 04:04:35 PM »
Not having Ola does suck but still very excited for this year!

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2019, 11:25:34 PM »
Q is the real deal. This will be a fun team to watch this year!!

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2019, 11:50:53 PM »
18 plus wins.  We will get better as season progresses. 

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2019, 09:06:52 AM »
It's really exciting to be entering the new year with a lot of continuity and to be able to really build off the last two years.  That's something that really hasn't been present for years. 

Even though it was against a DIII, the guys really seemed locked in last night.  Was impressed how YSU came out for the 2nd half last night too.  Thought everyone played well for the most part.  Jamir Thomas looks like a nice addition.  Little disappointed in the 3PT and FT shooting.  Devin Morgan looks more fit and faster.  It's crazy to think Darius is only a sophomore.  I just hope he can stay injury free.  It makes me nervous as many times as he falls to floor. 

Thiel had a lot more size and athleticism than I expected.  They didn't look like a local DIII school.   

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2019, 10:07:34 AM »
It's funny that you(mudclods) saw Morgan as fit and trim,  I saw him as the same as last year as was disappointed he didn't drop some lb's.  Devin didn't really get going last night but he's very clever and deceiving with the way he scores on drives to the hoop and he has quick trigger on his shot.  I think he'll be alright going forward and we will need his scoring and leadership.

I thought Simmons played below par last night and I expect big things out of him this season.  Not sure he got any bigger since last year.  He has monster potential .

Garrett Covington looked good and he'll will have some huge games.  He scraps for every loose ball and rebound.

Naz was great last night with his normal boards but he looks like he's taking the ball to the hoop and that's going to lead him to a lot of free throws.

Akuchie is like a totally different confident man than he was as frosh.  He showed growth last season but last night he hits a 3,takes a charge ,and dunks on a drive down the middle.  He in my mind is the x factor this season.  Really need him to rebound against the bigs and think he's up to that challenge.

Cathcart looked really good last night and he might be x factor2.  Nice stroke and he gets to the rim.

The new guys played well.  Thomas is a load and he'll get better as the seasons goes on.  impressed by the way he rejected some shots last night and he'll be tough on the blocks with that wide body.  I thought he was trying too hard(hurry) last night and just has to take his time.

Bentley ran the point well when he spelled DQ.  Looks like he can shoot and drive to the rim.

Didn't get a feel for Foster but it's one game.  Looks like the best athlete in the gym,got to see how his stroke is.

Almost forgot to mention Quisenberry.  As a YSU fan I feel spoiled because he can do it all.  Saw him drive left a couple of times.  he must of or coaches must of emphasized that in the off season.  he's a nightmare to defend.

It's only one game and it was against a d3 school so can't really judge too much.  Really need to get Ola back asap.  Need interior size and that will probably get exposed at Louisville on Sunday.

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2019, 10:49:53 AM »
It's funny that you(mudclods) saw Morgan as fit and trim,  I saw him as the same as last year as was disappointed he didn't drop some lb's.  Devin didn't really get going last night but he's very clever and deceiving with the way he scores on drives to the hoop and he has quick trigger on his shot.  I think he'll be alright going forward and we will need his scoring and leadership.

I thought Simmons played below par last night and I expect big things out of him this season.  Not sure he got any bigger since last year.  He has monster potential .

Garrett Covington looked good and he'll will have some huge games.  He scraps for every loose ball and rebound.

Naz was great last night with his normal boards but he looks like he's taking the ball to the hoop and that's going to lead him to a lot of free throws.

Akuchie is like a totally different confident man than he was as frosh.  He showed growth last season but last night he hits a 3,takes a charge ,and dunks on a drive down the middle.  He in my mind is the x factor this season.  Really need him to rebound against the bigs and think he's up to that challenge.

Cathcart looked really good last night and he might be x factor2.  Nice stroke and he gets to the rim.

The new guys played well.  Thomas is a load and he'll get better as the seasons goes on.  impressed by the way he rejected some shots last night and he'll be tough on the blocks with that wide body.  I thought he was trying too hard(hurry) last night and just has to take his time.

Bentley ran the point well when he spelled DQ.  Looks like he can shoot and drive to the rim.

Didn't get a feel for Foster but it's one game.  Looks like the best athlete in the gym,got to see how his stroke is.

Almost forgot to mention Quisenberry.  As a YSU fan I feel spoiled because he can do it all.  Saw him drive left a couple of times.  he must of or coaches must of emphasized that in the off season.  he's a nightmare to defend.

It's only one game and it was against a d3 school so can't really judge too much.  Really need to get Ola back asap.  Need interior size and that will probably get exposed at Louisville on Sunday.

I would agree that Morgan still needs to shed some pounds, but I thought he looked in better shape than from the beginning of last season.  Trim wasn't the word I used haha  Definitely need his leadership.  He can do a lot of things that don't show up on the boxscore. 

Thought the same on Simmons.  I think him & Cathcart can be huge.  They both have so much speed and can get very hot. 

I've really enjoyed watching Akuchie mature and improve.  He seemed like one of those guys his freshman year could have a ton of potential.  Like how he improved last year and it appears he's ready to take the next step.  He seems like the type of guy that can really get the team going.   From what Coach says he really puts the work in and I think you can see that.  Really think we could see him put up some monster games.

Agree 100% on what you said on Garrett & Naz.  I just love watching Garrett play.  I was impressed with him from day 1- didn't even seem like a freshman.  Think he's a great leader, excellent speaker.  I would imagine he could be coaching someday.   

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2019, 06:59:14 PM »
Once Ola comes back this team will have a real nice rotation and depth. 2 deep sometimes 3 at every position with players you can trust.

Ola-Jamir-Akuchie
Akuchie-Naz
Simmons-Foster
Covington-Cathcart-Bentley
Q-Morgan-Bentley

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2019, 03:48:14 PM »
This team is so frustrating to watch
« Last Edit: November 23, 2019, 03:55:50 PM by ytownchief22 »