Author Topic: #1 NDSU coming.. Lets Pump it up!!  (Read 27559 times)

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: #1 NDSU coming.. Lets Pump it up!!
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2019, 09:34:47 PM »
Don't get blown out Saturday, win the last 3, and they'll have a chance to make the playoffs.  4 or 5 MVFC teams will probably make the playoffs, if they have a record of at least 8-4.

this is the proper take

No if we lose Saturday, it would be a team in 4th place (at best) ...having lost to every team above them and another 2 below them (UNI & SIU). Who wants to take that resume to the post-season? Again, let a team from a supposed "lesser" conference get a second-bid. Maybe they have won most all of their conference games.

Look, I know we have our issues, but at the end of the day we are still better than most of the top 24 teams that will get into the playoffs.  Bottom line is that there is not equity in the FCS when it comes to playoffs.  We will curb stomp every team in the first round. 

Offline Kandrase

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2019, 09:44:14 PM »
Don't get blown out Saturday, win the last 3, and they'll have a chance to make the playoffs.  4 or 5 MVFC teams will probably make the playoffs, if they have a record of at least 8-4.

this is the proper take

No if we lose Saturday, it would be a team in 4th place (at best) ...having lost to every team above them and another 2 below them (UNI & SIU). Who wants to take that resume to the post-season? Again, let a team from a supposed "lesser" conference get a second-bid. Maybe they have won most all of their conference games.

Look, I know we have our issues, but at the end of the day we are still better than most of the top 24 teams that will get into the playoffs.  Bottom line is that there is not equity in the FCS when it comes to playoffs.  We will curb stomp every team in the first round.

Exactly... the MVFC has proven and over and over again that it’s the best conference in football, being the 4th or 5th best is nothing to be ashamed of. Obviously we aim for higher standards but I just don’t understand why IAA thinks we’re so unworthy that he doesn’t want a playoff bid if we lose to NDSU and then win out. The non scholarship pioneer league gets an auto-bid... are they any more deserving than the 4th or 5th best MVFC team?

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2019, 06:52:03 AM »
Every team accept the 5 that would have already beaten us (although SIU will not make it, so maybe 4).  Maybe several of the teams from the CAA & this year's Big Sky. The NCAA has to establish equal conference representation to the play-off; otherwise teams in current disadvantaged conferences will stay that way. If you are a recruit from S. Carolina, you should not have to play in New England, the Midwest, or the plain states. It defeats the reason that I-AA/FCS was created in the first place. That recruit needs to know that teams from the SoCon or Big South are good options, because the chances of making it to the post-season are just the same as anywhere else in the nation.

Look at IA/FBS ball when the SEC was so dominant. A complete "snooze fest". I still cannot watch it.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2019, 09:40:04 AM by IAA Fan »

Offline Penquin68

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2019, 01:22:07 PM »
Hope we play a good game Saturday.  If we loose, let it be because they beat us, not that we had breakdowns that give them easy scores.

I see a few possibilities. One is that we play them well and stay in the game till the end and win or loose based on the 4th quarter.  The next I fear which is things fall apart and we loose big.  Need to block their D End to protect Mays.  That killed us in a few games and will again if we don't do something different.  Also would like to see Chapman more at running back.  His size and speed are good and could wear down a defense.  I know Joe has been good and has more quickness and speed, but spell him with number 3.  If we can run the ball a bit we will be able to throw.  If not a long day.  We can't have obvious running or passing situations; we are not good enough for success when they know what is coming.  And I think on D we need to substitute more to keep guys fresh for the 4th quarter.  Our depth is questionable for sure, but we have tried so many players on the back end that they all have playing time.  Also the D line needs substitutes for the same reason.

Lets hope for a big win!

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2019, 01:48:07 PM »
You think the "back end" "coach" may be part if the reason why we have to try so many people back there?  I do.  In fact we have regressed there.  It is a testament to his knowledge and ability to both recruit and coach.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2019, 03:39:46 PM by penguinpower »

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2019, 05:00:52 PM »
Every team accept the 5 that would have already beaten us (although SIU will not make it, so maybe 4).  Maybe several of the teams from the CAA & this year's Big Sky. The NCAA has to establish equal conference representation to the play-off; otherwise teams in current disadvantaged conferences will stay that way. If you are a recruit from S. Carolina, you should not have to play in New England, the Midwest, or the plain states. It defeats the reason that I-AA/FCS was created in the first place. That recruit needs to know that teams from the SoCon or Big South are good options, because the chances of making it to the post-season are just the same as anywhere else in the nation.

Look at IA/FBS ball when the SEC was so dominant. A complete "snooze fest". I still cannot watch it.
If SIU wins out they're 8-4 and in over us. If they win out but lose to NDSU in the final game theyre 7-5 and may still get in over an 8-4 YSU if YSU doesn't beat NDSU. They will have a better conference record than us, and have us in head to head... And have an FBS win.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2019, 05:36:28 PM »
True. That FBS win help a lot with SOS.

Offline Kandrase

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2019, 06:12:14 PM »

No I understood why all teams have access, I just meant more  that the at large bids are for the next best teams regardless of conference and that could be a middle of the pack MVFC team. But looking at the scenarios our odds are looking long unless we beat NDSU
« Last Edit: October 31, 2019, 06:59:50 PM by Kandrase »

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2019, 06:30:35 AM »
Right. Our job is to win every remaining game.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2019, 01:03:37 PM »
Article from today's Tribune/Vindy:

Consistent play is necessary for YSU

LOCAL SPORTS
NOV 1, 2019

JOE SIMON
Sports Reporter
jsimon@tribtoday.com

Time is running out for the Youngstown State football team — and maybe for coach Bo Pelini.

No, YSU won’t be firing him anytime soon — nor should they — and no, the Penguins won’t be eliminated from playoff contention if they lose Saturday’s showdown with top-ranked North Dakota State (6 p.m., at Stambaugh Stadium), but that’s not the point.

Consistency has been the missing ingredient since Pelini took over in 2015, and if that doesn’t change soon, one has to wonder if it’s every going to happen. This season could be a defining one for Pelini and his Penguins.

Right now, it’s hard to know which team is going to show up on a weekly basis. Some days, the Penguins look like the team people expect to see. They run the ball with authority, make a few big pass plays and the defense plays exceptional.

Other times, none of the above happens. Maybe it’s the next quarter. Maybe it’s the next game. The running game suddenly looks inept, which essentially takes away from the passing game, and the defense has total meltdowns. A team that appeared to be on its way to being a contender will look like one of the worst teams in the conference.

It’s puzzling, not only to fans and members of the media but to the team and Pelini. He has said more than once that he doesn’t understand why the up-and-down play is happening. Players have pointed to inexperience and not realizing just how difficult it is to win in the Missouri Valley Football Conference.

“We might be a relatively old team in terms of age, but a lot of guys are relatively young and inexperienced,” said YSU senior quarterback Nathan Mays in an interview last week. “That experience that they’re lacking in this conference, it will come back to bite you. So they need to realize that each of these games is either going to come down to the last series, or you’re going to get blown out. There aren’t going to be many games where you come out and you just manhandle the other team. You’ve got to come ready to play each week, and if you’re not, then we’re going to see the same result as last Saturday.”

Mays said that days after YSU was clobbered, 35-10, by an unranked Southern Illinois team. They followed that loss up with a 59-14 rout of Western Illinois last Saturday, further demonstrating the inconsistent play.

If the Penguins are ever going to become a perennial winner and compete for national championships, the inconsistencies must stop. Not next week. Not next year. Not for a handful games before going back to bad habits. It needs to happen now, and it needs to happen for good.

This is Year 5 under Pelini. There’s no more talk of culture change. There aren’t any former players from previous coaching staffs. There isn’t any unfamiliarity with the conference or blaming youth. There aren’t any reasons YSU shouldn’t be a consistent winner.

This year’s team still has a chance to change their ways. They don’t necessarily have to go out and beat the undefeated Bison, which has won 29 straight games, to prove they’ve changed. While a win would do wonders for their playoff hopes, the inconsistencies aren’t about one game.

Building a perennial winner takes a lot of things, one of which is possessing the right mindset — believing in the coaches, the system and the team. Pelini actually touched on it this week at his press conference as he was discussing the success of North Dakota State, which has won six of the last seven national championships.

He said the Bison reminded him of when he played for Cardinal Mooney and the Cardinals were playing for a state championship every year under legendary coach Don Bucci. NDSU has similar traits.

“They have their system, and they run it, and they run it at a high level,” Pelini said of the Bison. “That’s a testament to good football teams and good programs, is they’re going to run what they run and they’re going to make you stop it. They have their beliefs, and they execute really well.”

Well, it’s time for those attributes to be part of YSU’s system.

That’s easier said than done. Getting a team to buy into every single thing a coaching staff is preaching is much more difficult than people think, but it can be done. If Pelini can make it happen, this seems to be the team to get it started.

YSU has good leadership. They’re talented on both sides of the ball, and they seem to have “bought in” more so than in other years. Pelini himself appears to have made some subtle changes to his own demeanor.

He has ever so slightly calmed the volatile manner in which he carries himself. Pelini is still incredibly intense and fiery, but his meltdowns on the sideline haven’t been as frequent, which needs to continue. If he expects his team to play at a consistent level, he needs to project behavior that is in line with that.

It’s often said that a team is a reflection of its coach. That may very well be the case with YSU.

Offline YSU FAN#34

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2019, 04:22:29 PM »
I don’t want to start another firestorm but IMO you have to place the blame of our programs 20 regression on the last 3 coaches.  Heacock was a great DC but not a HC. Wolford could recruit but was no HC.  Bo is a great DC but...   I mean, idc that Bo won with Wolfs players.  That fact doesn’t mean Wolford was a good HC...he wasn’t.  Wolf didn’t take us to the playoffs...that’s not up for debate, it’s pure fact.  Heacock didn’t take us to the playoffs, regularly, that is pure fact.  Everyone says Heacock hated and wasn’t a good recruiter.  So then it’s HIS fault we didn’t have good enough players to get into post season.  Wolford couldn’t coach up GOOD players to get us into the post season. So then it’s HIS fault he wasn’t a good enough HC.  Bo also hates recruiting, so then it’s HIS fault we don’t have the talent.  I’m confused as to why It’s “puzzling!”  I mean, if the players you recruited aren’t doing what you have been coaching them to do then it’s the coaches fault for not recruiting better players.  Its Bo’s fault for getting a 15 ya penalty during terrible times in games that hurt us.  Im sorry, I now ALSO buY into the problem of the “good ole boys” from Tressel to Strollo to “insert good ole boy coach”.  I have to now agree with Paladin and whoever else...they are ALL inept and ALL need to go.  I had a brief “debate” with the family of a player last week in the stands as I continued to make bad remarks while we were beating a chump squad.  I said “you all have been here for 4 years and we won’t see you again after this year...meanwhile I’ve been here since ‘83, had fun for a decade, and then the last 20 years of crap...and by the way things don’t look fun for the foreseeable future either.  But some of us will still be here, regardless!”  Ugh...Go Guins!!!

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2019, 09:38:41 AM »
Game day folks!

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2019, 10:18:27 AM »
Ok so I'm gonna get excited and have hope for a win. Let's go Guins!  fb