Author Topic: Fire Pelini  (Read 83530 times)

Offline peteonastick

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Fire Pelini
« Reply #105 on: November 14, 2019, 03:37:53 PM »
I cannot agree with the multi-sport athletes at the DI level. Don't get me wrong, having down linemen that can wrestle is always nice because they learn to use their hands and maybe some foot skills. That is about it. We are not a D-III school so we cannot pattern anything off of any D-III program. They need multi-sport athletes as they do not have scholarships for football. YSU is a DI program that has 63 scholarships that are just for football players and that is what we need to be recruiting ...and we are not doing so right now. I am not excited about a 220lb DL from Canfield unless he is playing in the Ohio/PA all-star game at defensive-end and rotated into the offensive backfield. I would rather spend my DL money on a kid that has a chance of getting to 320lbs. There are very few scholarships at wrestling & if he went to Princeton, he is solid in wrestling and in the classroom. Probably not a Penguin football candidate.

I hate to say it, but as Heacock found out, there are not too many quality local kids that are not going to larger programs. The days of finding real talent in the 2nd & 3rd string local players is certainly gone by now. Just how many DI schools are in the Valley these days?

Jake Esarco. 6’4” 290 at Colgate. He wrestled at 220 in high school. That is where we are missing the boat. We don’t know how to develop players and see potential.  Check out the starting offensive line from Iowa when you get the chance. All 5 were either state champ wrestlers or placers. I think good coaches want multi sport athletes that COMPETE!!! Not just single sport athletes that don’t know how to WIN!! Losing is a disease. We don’t have tough, hard nosed ATHLETES!! That can move. Have skills beyond those required for positions. The athletes that NDSU put on the field were just that - ATHLETIC!  You didn’t have to be a football coach to see the difference between our sloppy and slow players vs. their athletic talent.
THE DRIVE FOR 5

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 14, 2019, 04:42:40 PM »
I'm reading some of these posts and am just incredulous!   Somebody thinks we are starting Men's swimming to attract 45 men as students who wouldn't have otherwise attend?  I read this twice to be sure I was reading correctly.  The cost of Men's Swimming will be hundreds of times more that any tuition paid by the new students.  This is so outlandish as to make me thing is is joke.
Now I am reading about the Iowa high school wrestlers going to Iowa to play football and that is why there OL is better than ours, because we don't have enough wrestlers?  Seriously?  I know, we'll fire Bo Pelini and hire Randy Orton or maybe even Stone Cold Steve Austin as our new HC!!!  The mentality of a wrestler and a football player are reasonably close and I'm NOT suggesting we stay away from wrestlers being recruited as football players.  Several very good NFL players have wrestling backgrounds.  But the stars of Iowa aren't coming to YSU and we don't have great wrestling programs around us to recruit from, this is just so much wasted key strokes.  The heart of the problem is the name of the thread, please re-read:  Fire Pelini 
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 14, 2019, 05:37:16 PM »
I'm reading some of these posts and am just incredulous!   Somebody thinks we are starting Men's swimming to attract 45 men as students who wouldn't have otherwise attend?  I read this twice to be sure I was reading correctly.  The cost of Men's Swimming will be hundreds of times more that any tuition paid by the new students.  This is so outlandish as to make me thing is is joke.
Now I am reading about the Iowa high school wrestlers going to Iowa to play football and that is why there OL is better than ours, because we don't have enough wrestlers?  Seriously?  I know, we'll fire Bo Pelini and hire Randy Orton or maybe even Stone Cold Steve Austin as our new HC!!!  The mentality of a wrestler and a football player are reasonably close and I'm NOT suggesting we stay away from wrestlers being recruited as football players.  Several very good NFL players have wrestling backgrounds.  But the stars of Iowa aren't coming to YSU and we don't have great wrestling programs around us to recruit from, this is just so much wasted key strokes.  The heart of the problem is the name of the thread, please re-read:  Fire Pelini

The best wrestling schools have the best football teams and it is not a coincidence

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 15, 2019, 08:58:08 AM »

The best wrestling schools have the best football teams and it is not a coincidence
That's why Lehigh is in the to 10 nationally and NOT A SINGLE SEC school is in the top 25?  I love blanket statements that clearly aren't supported by fact.
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline peteonastick

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 15, 2019, 04:13:09 PM »

That's why Lehigh is in the to 10 nationally and NOT A SINGLE SEC school is in the top 25?  I love blanket statements that clearly aren't supported by fact.

I think you are missing the point.  I don't think he meant in college..he meant high school as far as being the best football programs have good wrestling program.  Do me a favor...go on NDSU roster and randomly pick some of their starters and look at their high school accomplishments...I just did..lots of hockey, wrestling, basketball, baseball, state placers, state champions, etc..here is their starting fullback bio for example...

HIGH SCHOOL: Graduated in 2015 from Frazee-Vergas High School...Four-year starter for the Hornets coached by Jim Rader...Primarily played linebacker and offensive line...Three-time all-conference honoree...Conference defensive MVP as a junior and linebacker of the year as a senior...Helped lead the Hornets to a 24-7 record over his final thee years including a 9-2 mark and Section 8AA runner-up finish in 2014...Set school records for tackles in a season and career...Also a state champion wrestler...Went 48-0 his senior year in winning the Class 1A heavyweight title.

You will also notice that I started this thread so this is all about getting rid of Bo as a head coach and recruiting is a huge factor on why we cannot compete at this level and he is in charge of recruiting!  RECRUIT ATHLETES! Not only strong football abilities but the ability to COMPETE!  OTHER SPORTS GIVE YOU THAT SKILL AND ABILITY TO COMPETE AND THE DRIVE TO WIN!! 

Read this...

https://www.stack.com/a/iowa-footballs-offensive-linemen-are-multi-sport-monsters-of-athleticism

And this

https://www.si.com/college-football/2019/09/13/iowa-hawkeyes-offensive-line-wrestling

Also...if you think wrestling is the WWE stuff on TV then you really are not in touch with what this team is missing as far as athletes and what wrestling really is.  And I am not saying they have to be wrestlers...any sport...track, hockey, basketball, baseball, lacrosse...etc...They don't know how to recruit these kinds of kids and until we do we will not compete in this conference again...

THE DRIVE FOR 5

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 16, 2019, 06:50:26 AM »

You must be a liberal because you have to parse words to support your narrative. Lehigh is not high level football and should not be counted. It is a general statement that is accurate but not precise meaning that it obviously doesn't apply to all schools but there are more schools with that have elite football programs and good wrestling programs. I don't know if this is because of the strength coaches or athlete make-up but this is a well known thing that I am pointing out and there are some people on here that know this. Read this fact checker.

https://www.lenconnect.com/sports/20170130/is-there-link-between-countys-football-and-wrestling-success
« Last Edit: November 16, 2019, 06:56:42 AM by penguinpower »

Offline peteonastick

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 16, 2019, 08:14:47 AM »

You must be a liberal because you have to parse words to support your narrative. Lehigh is not high level football and should not be counted. It is a general statement that is accurate but not precise meaning that it obviously doesn't apply to all schools but there are more schools with that have elite football programs and good wrestling programs. I don't know if this is because of the strength coaches or athlete make-up but this is a well known thing that I am pointing out and there are some people on here that know this. Read this fact checker.

https://www.lenconnect.com/sports/20170130/is-there-link-between-countys-football-and-wrestling-success

WHAT???  All I am saying is our recruiting sucks because our coaches don't know how to recruit tough, hard nosed kids.  And the way to get those kids is find ones that are multi sport athletes that make them winners, not the losers we have out there on the field right now.  Again...you missed the point and make assumptions about my political stance...WTF???  You are weird...
THE DRIVE FOR 5

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 16, 2019, 10:21:50 AM »

WHAT???  All I am saying is our recruiting sucks because our coaches don't know how to recruit tough, hard nosed kids.  And the way to get those kids is find ones that are multi sport athletes that make them winners, not the losers we have out there on the field right now.  Again...you missed the point and make assumptions about my political stance...WTF???  You are weird...

Peteonastick, this was not directed at you.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 16, 2019, 03:19:47 PM »
Cough cough

Offline peteonastick

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 16, 2019, 04:14:55 PM »
Bo must go!!
THE DRIVE FOR 5

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 16, 2019, 05:10:58 PM »
would not want to be on the same bus as Bo
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 16, 2019, 07:31:05 PM »
would not want to be on the same bus as Bo

I would. I'd like to have a few minutes to ask him exactly WTF is going on with this program.

Offline Joe Bernastat

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 16, 2019, 09:58:44 PM »
Sad,,,Just sad what this has come to.  We got beaten by a second rate FCS program on a field akin to a small, rural D7 Ohio high school. I can’t see more than 1000 people showing up next week. Only parents, family, friends and diehards.  Good luck selling tickets and getting sponsors next season,,,this program has imploded.  So many to blame,,,just amazed it has come to this.
Joe Cool

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 17, 2019, 08:05:06 AM »
The pressure is on Bo but too bad the administration doesn't give a sh*t. Strollo is afraid of Bo.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 17, 2019, 08:10:20 AM »
I will be there
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne