Author Topic: Fire Pelini  (Read 82638 times)

Offline YSUFANSINCE1990

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Fire Pelini
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2019, 08:55:57 AM »
  The Pelini experiment is an epic failure.  Bottom line is that he has a losing conference record during his 4 plus years as head coach.  One playoff berth in what will be five years.

He is a disaster.  In all his years as a head coach how many conference titles has be won?  Zero.   His coaching staff is overwhelmed. Pelini is an arrogant bully and that kind of coach, aka Belichick and Saban win championships and get away with being that way.  Pelini has won nothing.

His days of being a head coach are over.  Yes, he can land a big time D coordinator job, coaching is the good old boys network.  Just look at his staff, all the Mooney guys.

Chief your comments that Carl Pelini will be head coach are wrong.  Yes, Strollo made that deal, not Jim Tressel.  Tressel will step in.   How insane would be in to promote the brother of the head coach who is putting the program in the tank.  What has Carl done to be a head coach?  He was a disaster at Florida Atlantic on and off the field.  Tressel and all his connections will hire the next coach.

The sad part is that Pelini likely will return next year.  Strollo doesn't have it in to fire Pelini, and who wants Pelini?

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2019, 09:41:36 AM »
Well, I was looking for a word and couldn't come up with anything better than "embarrassing".
That was shameful and while I'm on record as not a Mays fan, this was NOT on Nate or any player, it was on a staff that simply didn't get a team ready to play.  Since the pick six and Jones personal foul against SDSU them team has simply quit.  That is on the staff and the staff needs to go.
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2019, 11:01:59 AM »
Well, I was looking for a word and couldn't come up with anything better than "embarrassing".
That was shameful and while I'm on record as not a Mays fan, this was NOT on Nate or any player, it was on a staff that simply didn't get a team ready to play.  Since the pick six and Jones personal foul against SDSU them team has simply quit.  That is on the staff and the staff needs to go.
i am also not a Mays fan. It is not that I don't him as player. He just does not have the talent to be premium QB at our level. He has heart but we need hi to have arm also.
I personally do not think Tressel will be around YSU when Pelini's contract is up. #8 could not play or read the offense in his playing days. He is now coaching DB's.......that is the reason why #7 is still starting (he plays just like the coach (#8)....lost

Offline Kandrase

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2019, 01:59:24 PM »
i am also not a Mays fan. It is not that I don't him as player. He just does not have the talent to be premium QB at our level. He has heart but we need hi to have arm also.
I personally do not think Tressel will be around YSU when Pelini's contract is up. #8 could not play or read the offense in his playing days. He is now coaching DB's.......that is the reason why #7 is still starting (he plays just like the coach (#8)....lost

The way our oline is pass blocking, it wouldn’t matter if we had Aaron Rodgers as QB ... still needs time to throw

Offline YSU1

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2019, 03:13:39 PM »
I am not happy with the direction the football program is headed.  We basically are now similar to Kent State and Akron but on the FCS level.

Offline peteonastick

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2019, 06:16:57 PM »
13   Princeton   5-0   323   16
14   Furman   4-3   268   8
15   Nicholls   4-3   232   9
16   Dartmouth   5-0   225   21
17   Towson   4-3   212   20
18   North Carolina A&T   4-2   207   11
19   Delaware   4-3   115   24
20   UIW   5-2   113   25
21   Jacksonville St.   5-3   101   14
22   UC Davis   4-4   96   22
23   Florida A&M   6-1   86   NR
24   Central Connecticut St.   6-1   83   NR
25   Sam Houston St.   5-3   75   NR

I listed 13-25 rankings...seriously...we can't break the top 25 with these teams?  How embarrassing!  Two Ivy's ranked?  The tradition is gone.  He has to go...he is not all in!  You have to be all in in this league.  He thought he was coming into a joke conference and that he could just cruise.  Welcome to the MVFC Bo!  We have regressed.  This is real football...you can't lose on the road and have to win big games...not like Nebraska. 
THE DRIVE FOR 5

Offline gbs20

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2019, 09:12:35 AM »
On several threads, Strollo is taking the hit for Pelini. Im not inside, but perhaps the decision to hire and keep Pelini is above Strollo.  Tressel gets major passes. Its on him too and maybe more than Strollo.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2019, 09:58:33 AM »
On several threads, Strollo is taking the hit for Pelini. Im not inside, but perhaps the decision to hire and keep Pelini is above Strollo.  Tressel gets major passes. Its on him too and maybe more than Strollo.
All I can go by is 1AA claiming that Pelini is here, and his contract extended 100% by Strollo and JT had NOTHING to do with it.  If Strollo didn't know Pelini was as ass after his first several years and before offering an extension, it's a lot on Strollo too.  Time to clean house IMO!

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2019, 01:42:39 PM »
All I can go by is 1AA claiming that Pelini is here, and his contract extended 100% by Strollo and JT had NOTHING to do with it.  If Strollo didn't know Pelini was as a$$ after his first several years and before offering an extension, it's a lot on Strollo too.  Time to clean house IMO!

I fully believe that Strollo was much more involved in the coach P hiring than most think. However, as with any HC, He will have to answer up to the administration.  That is more than JT. So if we really wish to "clean house" we would be dumping a few administrators.

That being said, Strollo is not going to walk in and fire a coach that is 2.5 seasons out of a national championship appearance. I think he will ride this season out, let Bo talk directly to the fans, players and administration. Try to present his ideas to demonstrate that he is aware of any issues and how he is going to deal with them. If this fails, I expect that Strollo will do the talking the second time any any failure here will result in a resignation/termination. Strollo does owe Bo a chance to state his case.

Remember, we have 2 ranked teams remaining on our schedule, including #1. So it is possible we win out and see the play-off. Anything less and I do not wish to go. Anymore losses and we would be going to the post-season as second-string.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 02:04:26 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline gbs20

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2019, 03:05:09 PM »
IAA Fan---reasonable answer that makes sense. It will be interesting to see how this unfolds, both short and long term.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2019, 03:18:29 PM »
All I can go by is 1AA claiming that Pelini is here, and his contract extended 100% by Strollo and JT had NOTHING to do with it.  If Strollo didn't know Pelini was as a$$ after his first several years and before offering an extension, it's a lot on Strollo too.  Time to clean house IMO!

I fully believe that Strollo was much more involved in the coach P hiring than most think. However, as with any HC, He will have to answer up to the administration.  That is more than JT. So if we really wish to "clean house" we would be dumping a few administrators.

I think he will ride this season out, let Bo talk directly to the fans, players and administration. Try to present his ideas to demonstrate that he is aware of any issues and how he is going to deal with them.
This is Bo Pelini you're talking about, isn't it?  Bo is going to talk directly to fans?  Seriously.  Bo Pelini?  He's too good for all that schmoozing crap, just ask him, he'll brush you off in a heartbeat!

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2019, 06:11:49 PM »
I remember when coach Heacock (who was more than aware of the Youngstown fan base and preferred smash-mouth style of ball) told Strollo that he had to covert the style of offense to more of a spread. He used the play-off loss to App State and Strollo (who was against the style change initially) agreed to let him try & renewed the contract. We then had all of those injuries during the conversion. Coach H simply told Strollo that he needed another year & that if he could not get to the post-season ... he would resign. Heacock was a man of his word & he resigned after the 4th loss. Coach Wolf was hired and at Heacock's last home game Wolf was watching from the loges/press box.

I would suspect something similarly respectful when Bo leaves. If it is Carl as the replacement, then I would expect Bo to stick around for a year to help out before he retires. Now if Bo picks up a bigger job, all bets are off. Carl may go with him.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2019, 06:14:39 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline YSU1

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2019, 07:25:31 PM »
I do not think any schools will be knocking on Bo's door

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2019, 08:44:31 AM »
I do not think any schools will be knocking on Bo's door
Yeah, it's a damn line around the block!  College football is all about recruiting.  Bo cam here and stayed here because he hates recruiting and thought his name would get the second tier players without effort.  When that didn't work, he hired young, enthusiastic guys like Crist and D'Alesio to do the work for him.  That obviously has been a full blown disaster.  Maybe Bo could get a job if he wanted it as a coordinator with no recruiting, or press, or speaking responsibility, but that's it.  I don't know Bo at all, and so this is obviously idle speculation, but he has TONS of money, and might like and do well and enjoy being defensive coordinator at Mooney?   

Offline YSU1

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2019, 08:39:15 PM »
I listened to the Oct 22nd weekly press conference and what Bo is saying is that coaching, game preparation and in game adjustments are flawless but the players are not executing or making too many mistakes.  It is nice to know that coaching is not the issue.   ;D