Author Topic: Chair Backs  (Read 4249 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Chair Backs
« on: October 17, 2019, 06:55:14 AM »
Go Guins mentioned buying a chair back in the attendance thread. I would like to register a complaint that we enforce a "no portable chair-back" policy. I think that it may already be a rule (as with umbrellas and smoking). Sorry, but there is not enough room front-to-back or left-to-right and they need to start posting and announcing this policy. It forces me to stay in my seat and not stand up and cheer. Just ruins the experience.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Chair Backs
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2019, 08:43:22 AM »
Go Guins mentioned buying a chair back in the attendance thread. I would like to register a complaint that we enforce a "no portable chair-back" policy. I think that it may already be a rule (as with umbrellas and smoking). Sorry, but there is not enough room front-to-back or left-to-right and they need to start posting and announcing this policy. It forces me to stay in my seat and not stand up and cheer. Just ruins the experience.
Yes I did mention it and the people a couple rows behind us have been using them for years.  I've never seen or heard of a no seat back policy and can't begin to understand your complaint.  Measure a portable seat back, front to back, then measure my red Penguin Club seat front to back and tell me what you find.  The portable is a couple inches NARROWER AND SHORTER!  I HATE making negative announcements, and DEFINITELY don't want such a policy announced even if it exists.  You can't sneak one into the stadium, so every portable seat back it there with the blessing of YSU. 
This is a weaker argument than even your Nate Mays position!
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2019, 05:56:00 PM »
Why does everything need to be an argument? It is just a discussion. I have 4 people in front of me with chair-backs (all in a row). It is a wall that goes about 3-4 inches behind them & I have to sit sideways. Before I used to put my knees between them. I am a big guy though.

Pain in the butt and they are not allowed in most stadiums that I have been to, but I have no idea if YSU allows them. I would think not.

Here is Nebraska & OSU has the same policy against them:
https://news.unl.edu/newsrooms/today/article/memorial-stadium-policies-announced-for-2018/

I know that USC, Texas A&M and Cal all just recently removed their bench seating (or will at the end of the season)..so it looks like a trend. It resulted in and average loss of around 7,500 seats. However, A&M says they actually gained in revenue because they charge more. Cal added the metal seats that fold up & down. Not quite as nice as our chair back seats.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2019, 07:37:39 PM »
I have a heavy duty one and it does not hang over the back of the bench any more then my butt does. Never heard that they were taboo, I hope not really helps my back.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2019, 09:32:29 AM »
Why does everything need to be an argument? It is just a discussion. I have 4 people in front of me with chair-backs (all in a row). It is a wall that goes about 3-4 inches behind them & I have to sit sideways. Before I used to put my knees between them. I am a big guy though.

Pain in the butt and they are not allowed in most stadiums that I have been to, but I have no idea if YSU allows them. I would think not.

Here is Nebraska & OSU has the same policy against them:
https://news.unl.edu/newsrooms/today/article/memorial-stadium-policies-announced-for-2018/

I know that USC, Texas A&M and Cal all just recently removed their bench seating (or will at the end of the season)..so it looks like a trend. It resulted in and average loss of around 7,500 seats. However, A&M says they actually gained in revenue because they charge more. Cal added the metal seats that fold up & down. Not quite as nice as our chair back seats.
I make an innocent comment about considering giving up the Penguin Club for some chair backs and you start a thread against chair backs referencing my pen name, and YOU ACCUSE ME of starting an argument!  Ever hear the one about the pot calling the kettle black?  (maybe politically incorrect, but that's what my mother said!) This ones on you.

For the record, I'm with quinpen, my brother had one in the pre-Penguin Club days and it was flush in the back.  Sounds like you have a personal problem with the model of the people in front of you.  You can deal with  it or, you have some options:
Move, there are thousands of empty seats, so you don't need to sit right behind the offending chair backs
Upgrade to Penguin Club plastic seats (mine will probably be available next year)
Get smaller, (It's better for your health too)
That's all I've got for you. Have a great weekend.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2019, 01:36:02 PM »
I am sorry I referenced you. Has nothing to do with you really, you just reminded me of what I think is a good topic...the pros and cons of portable chair backs. That is why I said it does not have to be an argument., just a conversation.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2019, 09:52:58 AM »
I am sorry I referenced you. Has nothing to do with you really, you just reminded me of what I think is a good topic...the pros and cons of portable chair backs. That is why I said it does not have to be an argument., just a conversation.
I don't see it as an argument either, but unfortunately this thread reminds me of the old phrase about" "arranging the deck chairs on the Titanic!
Well, the "good news" is you won't have any problem with people sitting in front of you the rest of this year!  The game preparation for SIU insured that!