Author Topic: Game Day: YSU Opens MVFC Play With Contest at No. 13 UNI  (Read 30905 times)

Offline Penquin68

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Game Day: YSU Opens MVFC Play With Contest at No. 13 UNI
« Reply #75 on: October 06, 2019, 08:31:51 PM »
I thought our QB position was the weakness of our team all season coming into this game.  I was dead wrong.  Nate Mays played his heart out and did well under extreme pressure and poor play calling especially in the 1st half.  He was not perfect but darn good.  Two 3 and outs with runs mostly up the middle over and over at the beginning of the game when we could have taken charge.  He is not the problem in my opinion, in fact he is a definite asset.  Our O line was over matched and with our play calling very predicable, it made their job difficult and Nate Mays job nearly impossible.  Our play calling needs to be less predictable and the qb needs to change out of dead plays.  Not sure that is possible under our system.

On defense I was surprised by the breakdowns on the long pass plays and some of the 3rd and longs.  Our back end needs improvement and not sure if it is scheme or players or both.  Our D line did well I thought and nearly had the QB on many occasions, but he slipped away.  On the one TD pass there was holding of our D tackle that was not called.  The other way we got called on iffy plays.  The refs didn't do us a fair job in my opinion.  Probably a result of our history so no fair calls for us in any tossup play.

Hope Nate Mays is ok and can play after all he gave us.  And we need him.  This week will be almost like week 2 of a season where teams have a chance for the biggest improvement.  Our first four games didn't do that. We shall see on Saturday.

Offline YSUFANSINCE1990

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 07, 2019, 09:23:46 AM »
Penguin68 I couldn't agree more on Nate Mays.  He was our offense on Saturday.  He has played at a high level.  I think our backs are average, and the poor competition the first four games led some to believe we have these great running backs.  None anywhere near elite, and not close to Tevon McCaster.

Our defense allowing all those big third down conversions is the biggest reason we lost.  When is Bo Pelini going to win some close games?   Doesn't happen in the conference, his teams find ways to lose.

Offline YSU1

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 07, 2019, 01:57:12 PM »
they need to improve the play calling

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 08, 2019, 12:08:43 PM »
I thought Mays played a good game, despite the kitties' d-line outplaying YSU's o-line.  Mays can thank his left tackle for the big hits he took on those last 2 sacks.  The D-end went right through him.

Does anyone know who the fella was on the sidelines that was yelling at Bo after Bo got the 15 yard penalty?  He was dressed in YSU gear, but was not one of the coaches.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 08, 2019, 07:36:56 PM »

Does anyone know who the fella was on the sidelines that was yelling at Bo after Bo got the 15 yard penalty?  He was dressed in YSU gear, but was not one of the coaches.

Who was the penalty actually on? Was it on Bo for sure, the "fella" or another coach?
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 10, 2019, 12:24:35 PM »

Who was the penalty actually on? Was it on Bo for sure, the "fella" or another coach?

Not exactly sure.  The TV announcers said YSU coaches were on the field.  I doubt the penalty was on the guy yelling at Bo, or Bo would have yelling at him.