Author Topic: No more Blind Center and Jerry's kids,, let the party begin!  (Read 8732 times)

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
No more Blind Center and Jerry's kids,, let the party begin!
« on: September 30, 2019, 10:58:36 AM »
WOW! it is finally here the MVFC games and to start it off on the road in the big gym of horrors known as the UNI dome.

YSU needs this one! UNI is good but has flaws like we do so it will come down to game management.

GooooooooooooGuins!

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: No more Blind Center and Jerry's kids,, let the party begin!
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2019, 11:09:16 AM »
Not sure exactly what "game management" is, but this game, like almost all football games, comes down to blocking, tackling, and turnovers.  That's why Mays concerns me, every game he seems to chuck up some bizarre pass that he has no idea where it is going.  Cost us a FG against RMU, could cost us a game against UNI.
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2019, 11:25:09 AM »
Not sure exactly what "game management" is, but this game, like almost all football games, comes down to blocking, tackling, and turnovers.  That's why Mays concerns me, every game he seems to chuck up some bizarre pass that he has no idea where it is going.  Cost us a FG against RMU, could cost us a game against UNI.
Yes, Mays' passing game (or lack off) really concerns me. On the INT that he threw,  I am not sure what he was looking at. The other long passes were also way off target. Coach might have to devise a game plan to have him throw more to the backs or TEs. Hopefully, we could get into the red zone enough times that he did not have to throw long passes down field to score.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2019, 11:40:16 AM »
Yes, Mays' passing game (or lack off) really concerns me. On the INT that he threw,  I am not sure what he was looking at. The other long passes were also way off target. Coach might have to devise a game plan to have him throw more to the backs or TEs. Hopefully, we could get into the red zone enough times that he did not have to throw long passes down field to score.
No, setting up a game plan to cover for a players failings usually doesn't work. Look at Baltimore yesterday, Jackson can't throw deep, so the go short and try to run and not much.  It took a garbage time TD to get to 20.  Even with 3 of 4 DBs out we shut them down.  What we need is to do what Bo IS doing, work Craycraft into the game every week so he is ready to take over.  You can't beat NDSU, SDSU UNI and ISU  if you can't throw.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2019, 01:11:42 PM »
There is no question that Mays has had a couple passes float-up and he has also led too much on a couple of occasions, but are we talking abut the same Craycraft? He has not demonstrated to me that he has the arm (or vision) of Mays in any way. Offense is stagnant. His advantage is that he is a bit more "shifty" on his feet; while Mays takes more deliberate, longer strides. I want to see what Connor can do in a game situation. He just ran the clock out Saturday. He always looks good in practice, he is 6'7' and he has a nice resume. I am not sure that we will have any chance to get him in though

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2019, 02:04:10 PM »

Game management is pretty much what you said without listing it all.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2019, 08:50:20 AM »
There is no question that Mays has had a couple passes float-up and he has also led too much on a couple of occasions, but are we talking abut the same Craycraft? He has not demonstrated to me that he has the arm (or vision) of Mays in any way. Offense is stagnant. His advantage is that he is a bit more "shifty" on his feet; while Mays takes more deliberate, longer strides. I want to see what Connor can do in a game situation. He just ran the clock out Saturday. He always looks good in practice, he is 6'7' and he has a nice resume. I am not sure that we will have any chance to get him in though
Craycraft's completion percentage is higher and his interception rate is infinitely lower.  Mays yards per carry is higher.  As normal when talking about Mays, your observations are pretty much just the opposite of the facts.  At this point in his career, it is clear Mays is the better "field general" (don't hear that much any more) but Joe is clearly the better passer.  IMO, we can far more easily make improvements in Craycraft's presence on the field than we can in Nathan's passing.  He's a 5 year senior and as even you point out, throws floaters and wild leads.
Conner?!?!?!?  Waid is the future!

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2019, 09:11:18 AM »
Craycraft's completion percentage is higher and his interception rate is infinitely lower.  Mays yards per carry is higher.  As normal when talking about Mays, your observations are pretty much just the opposite of the facts.  At this point in his career, it is clear Mays is the better "field general" (don't hear that much any more) but Joe is clearly the better passer.  IMO, we can far more easily make improvements in Craycraft's presence on the field than we can in Nathan's passing.  He's a 5 year senior and as even you point out, throws floaters and wild leads.
Conner?!?!?!?  Waid is the future!

We'll see Saturday! Waid might be now,,, just saying.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2019, 01:33:50 PM »
You have to admit that the offense is stagnate under the direction of Craycraft. I am not saying that he doesn't have it in him, I have just yet to see it. As to Waid, he is given the ball not once, but twice on practically the goal line, then he is given 4 chances to make a TD? Of course anyone that watched the scoreboard this past week saw why. Nice little advertisement for Thom Dumas Jewelers.

Mays pass to Braswell (?) was just a thing of beauty this past week.

#7 Mays, Nathan  Comp-Att-Int  Pct  Yards  TD  Long  Sack-Yds  Effic 
Samford  10-18-0  55.6  124  31  1-9  150.09 
Howard  8-14-1  57.1  182  38  0-0  199.20 
Duquesne  8-11-0  72.7  131  58  0-0  172.76 
Robert Morris  9-14-1  64.3  106  25  0-0  137.17 
TOTALS  35-57-2  61.4  543  58  1-9  163.35 

#5 Craycraft, Joe  Comp-Att-Int  Pct  Yards  TD  Long  Sack-Yds  Effic 
Samford  3-3-0  100.0  35  14  0-0  198.00 
Howard  1-4-0  25.0  0-0  33.40 
Duquesne  1-1-0  100.0  31  31  1-9  690.40 
Robert Morris  4-6-0  66.7  31  12  0-0  110.07 
TOTALS  9-14-0  64.3  101  31  1-9  148.46 

#81 Emans, Ryan  Comp-Att-Int  Pct  Yards  TD  Long  Sack-Yds  Effic 
Duquesne  1-1-0  100.0  18  18  0-0  251.20 
TOTALS  1-1-0  100.0  18  18  0-0  251.20 

Against Samford Craycraft threw 3 passes into space and all 3 were stopped.  I understand he is young. Against Howard he was 1 of 4. 

Hey I do not like May's INT's either, but he threw a total of 2 INTs in 4 games, The first one was a "catchable" ball. He also has a QB-rating of 163

How can you even compare these two stats and say that Craycraft is superior in any way? Conference ball will mean Mays has to increase his game, let's hope he does just that and we have enough leads to put in a backup and not a "need" to put in a backup.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2019, 01:35:10 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2019, 10:08:28 AM »
I can say I like Craycraft better because I watch the game and see his ball vs. "Floater" Mays.
I know you love Mays, but he throws too may lame ducks to win consistently in the MVFC.  He'll lake himself out with an ill-advised dive for an extra yard, after a 6 yard gain on a 3rd and 10 and we'll see Joe settle in. Battle comes next fall between Craycraft and Mays for the #1 spot.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2019, 05:14:17 PM »
There is no question that Mays is not 100% healthy & I do not love any QB. It is just that Mays IS the clear #1 on paper and on the field. This is as of 10/2/2019. If they decide to pull that maneuver and start Craycraft again this week, we will suffer. Bo said it was a "minor violation of team rules" by Mays.

As to your earlier comment on Conner. If we knew nothing about two QBs out of HS, one came from Bishop Hartley and the other from Girard; everyone would have higher expectations from the Hartley QB. I am saying that I would like to see him throw a few in a real game setting. We all have to trust the coaches on their decisions.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2019, 08:38:23 AM »
There is no question that Mays is not 100% healthy & I do not love any QB. It is just that Mays IS the clear #1 on paper and on the field. This is as of 10/2/2019. If they decide to pull that maneuver and start Craycraft again this week, we will suffer. Bo said it was a "minor violation of team rules" by Mays.

As to your earlier comment on Conner. If we knew nothing about two QBs out of HS, one came from Bishop Hartley and the other from Girard; everyone would have higher expectations from the Hartley QB. I am saying that I would like to see him throw a few in a real game setting. We all have to trust the coaches on their decisions.
You say "we have to trust the coaches on their decisions" and they you clearly DON"T!  The coaches clear decision is to move Mark clearly ahead of Conner.  Do you, or do you NOT trust the coaches decision on this?
If we knew nothing, but we do know some things.  Where, in God's name, did you come up with a Mays injury?  You making that up to cover for bad passing?  If he is hurt and can't throw, SET HIM DOWN!

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2019, 10:05:28 AM »

Was thinking about the argument you all have been having about the OOC schedule. UNI is pretty battle tested already with playing a power 5 ISU (overrated) team and Top 10 (FCS) Weber State on the road. YSU has had a cake walk and came through with minimal injuries and seem very healthy. The game Saturday will tell a lot "IF" the OOC is fact or fiction.

1. YSU wins then OOC may not be a big deal and we'll be at 5 Div 1 wins

2. YSU loses and looks bad doing it then the argument for a tougher OOC might hold water.

Side note: Mays is always rotating his right arm after throwing as to indicate he's got a bad rotator cup.

I say Waid should be the man. Clemson sent Lawrence out on the field as a true Freshman never looked back and you see how that worked out. Not saying YSU is Clemson or Waid is Lawrence but Waid is the future.   

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2019, 02:31:15 PM »

Was thinking about the argument you all have been having about the OOC schedule. UNI is pretty battle tested already with playing a power 5 ISU (overrated) team and Top 10 (FCS) Weber State on the road. YSU has had a cake walk and came through with minimal injuries and seem very healthy. The game Saturday will tell a lot "IF" the OOC is fact or fiction.

1. YSU wins then OOC may not be a big deal and we'll be at 5 Div 1 wins

2. YSU loses and looks bad doing it then the argument for a tougher OOC might hold water.

Side note: Mays is always rotating his right arm after throwing as to indicate he's got a bad rotator cup.

I say Waid should be the man. Clemson sent Lawrence out on the field as a true Freshman never looked back and you see how that worked out. Not saying YSU is Clemson or Waid is Lawrence but Waid is the future.   

Boy, are you going to piss off 1AA!!  Waid over Mays, Conner and Craycraft?  Two things, 1. I agree 2. 1AA has some strange fixation with seniors having earned the "right" to start and he WILL NOT agree!  When a ball flutters out of the hand of the QB, not every time, but certainly not rarely, that floater is going to get picked and has cost us points in a couple games already.  You can afford that against a Howard or Robert Morris, but we have 4 TOP !0 FCS teams coming up and you can't do that with them!

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2019, 02:33:12 PM »

You say "we have to trust the coaches on their decisions" and they you clearly DON"T!  The coaches clear decision is to move Mark clearly ahead of Conner.  Do you, or do you NOT trust the coaches decision on this?
If we knew nothing, but we do know some things.  Where, in God's name, did you come up with a Mays injury?  You making that up to cover for bad passing?  If he is hurt and can't throw, SET HIM DOWN!

I think that you are losing it, why so upset? For that matter why do you you go on about Mays? He IS the starting QB for this team, that is it. Whether or not you like him does not change this. Start an "I hate Mays" thread and post all you wish. He does plenty of things wrong , but he does plenty more right.

He is not 100% & never will be. I am not talking about a new injury; I am talking about his off-season surgery. He can clearly play & yes he is the best we have now, which is why he is your starter. As to Connor, yes I do trust the coaches. He was in last week's game and I wish he could have done a bit more so we can see him. How often do we see a 6'6"+ kid at this level?
« Last Edit: October 03, 2019, 02:43:22 PM by IAA Fan »