Author Topic: Duquesne Week  (Read 19323 times)

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Duquesne Week
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2019, 05:28:32 PM »
How many more interviews is Hannon gonna ask the same question to President Tressel:  Do you think the MVFC is the best conference in our division?  I think its been validated.  The real question is how is YSU gonna compete year in and out?  We have the facilities and support.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2019, 08:16:56 PM »
Glad to get the win but lots to clean up.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2019, 09:26:30 PM »
OK, more good than bad this week.  We have three weeks to seek remedies for flaws that are obvious and need not be repeated.

I wonder if the voters in that STATS poll will place us above Duquesne this week?

I wonder if Joe Simon, the Tribune sportwriter who now appears in the new Vindicator, will start to understand the distinctions between the top and bottom of the FCS hierarchy?  He predicted a close game with us winning, 28-24.

It was helpful that Duquesne could actually tackle somebody when they placed 8 men in the box.  Samford and Howard certainly could not.  That forced us to try other things today.  It was the equivalent of a good scrimmage.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2019, 10:23:30 PM »
The pussification of football as we know it.  This is the worst targeting call I have ever seen.  This is how millennials are pussifiying football.  They needed to throw a penalty on the tackle for sucking so bad and instead that penalized the talent.  These Referees are Pieces of sh** and someone needs to report them to the league office.  Bastards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCbOxR5Mf3s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmUsnEyUsTk
« Last Edit: September 14, 2019, 10:26:39 PM by penguinpower »

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2019, 10:56:23 PM »
Penalty kept the Dukes in the game. The so call phantom targeting call, instead of 1st &10 for us at their 20, it wounded up 1st & 10 for them at our 35. It costed us a whooping 45 yards plus the posesion of the ball. After reviewing the YouTube replay, I could not how that call could be made.
I didn't see it in the game and I still don't see it now. How could these refs hold on to their job? These guys were so incompetent. It was even worse since the call was not made during the play. It was called when they reviewed the fumble by their qb.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2019, 11:15:40 PM »
power,

Good job showing that atrocity of a call to the entire world.  Did Reed lead with his helmet? No.  Did Reed hit the qb after the ball was thrown?  No, the hit CAUSED the fumble.  Did Reed cause the qb to hit the ground and possibly get a boo-boo?  Yes, that must be it.

The league office should overturn this call, but they will protect their gutless, incompetent officials.  Fortunately, Reed should not be missed in the first half against another NEC pushover.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2019, 06:46:02 AM »
The only targeting committed for that play was done by the ref against fairness and against Reed.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2019, 02:55:57 PM »
not the only time in the game the ref's were clueless, that was just a good football play
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2019, 08:22:44 PM »
Hey ref, because of you guys, there was no "Justus" for this game.

Offline Penquin68

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2019, 03:33:06 PM »
On another issue it seems that teams are trying to get tall wide receivers on our shorter dbs, especially number 2 and 7.  Many pass interference penalties when they make contact with the receivers.  Not sure what we can do in the future about this, but it seems like it will be an issue all season.

Punting is also an issue.  Watched 43 punting in warm-ups and he can really boom the ball.  In the game with a rush and at times less than ideal snaps, he has had trouble. I think this will improve.

QB play better than I expected.  Hope it holds together.

D and O lines are fine.  RB is fine. Receivers fine. Tight ends really good. Line backers fine.  Safeties fine. Corners may be an issue.

My uneducated opinions.

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2019, 03:53:23 PM »
On another issue it seems that teams are trying to get tall wide receivers on our shorter dbs, especially number 2 and 7.  Many pass interference penalties when they make contact with the receivers.  Not sure what we can do in the future about this, but it seems like it will be an issue all season.

Punting is also an issue.  Watched 43 punting in warm-ups and he can really boom the ball.  In the game with a rush and at times less than ideal snaps, he has had trouble. I think this will improve.

QB play better than I expected.  Hope it holds together.

D and O lines are fine.  RB is fine. Receivers fine. Tight ends really good. Line backers fine.  Safeties fine. Corners may be an issue.

My uneducated opinions.

You did a fine job on evaluations there 68. My biggest concern is the penalties. I mentioned when the heat is turned up in conference play and not the stiffs we faced so far how are they going to react?  I'm hoping it's a bit of a bully syndrome and some playing down to the competition causing the mental lapse. The ref's are really watching the Guins because of this stuff so it seem like they will be called for anything. my two cent on that.

Online IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #41 on: September 16, 2019, 05:29:35 PM »
Some good opinions there 68. I also noted that Duquesne played opposite side to #55 after the first couple of series...that guy can play.

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2019, 10:59:10 AM »
Our corners are going to get their fair share of PI penalties.

That's just how we play, tight man coverage, with a lot of contact. Them being short doesn't help, its very tempting for a QB to throw it up and see what happens.

They are killing themselves by not getting their heads around and looking for the ball. I know that face guarding isn't a penalty in NCAA, but the look of a DB with his hands all over a guy is a LOT different if he is looking to play off the receiver and go for the ball or if he is impeding the receiver and has his back to the play.

As long as these guys play like they are following the receivers around and grabbing, the flags will come.

If I'm RMU I throw deep at least 15 times against those guys. Half fly pattern half back shoulder\comeback throws. The way things are going now you'll probably get 10 or more completions and penalties on those 15 throws.

Think back to the season opener. The Samford coach was livid after the picks, because our guys made contact. And they did, no question they had hands around the waist and were hand fighting with the receivers. But they were also looking back at the QB and making a play for the ball, so no call.

I think the success of our D is really that simple. If the CB can hang 1-1 without getting PI calls we can beat most anyone.