Author Topic: Handicap parking  (Read 13092 times)

Offline pen4life

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
Handicap parking
« on: September 06, 2019, 10:15:13 PM »
Was talking to you parking supervisor who said they did away with handicap parking behind east stands so they could create tail gate lot. Meanwhile us gimps have to park on wick, take a shuttle to the front of the stadium and walk around to the east stands. I've been supporting the guins since1963. My wife and I have been season ticket holders for over 20 years. Well thanks to this pack of insensitive dolts next year we are staying home and watching the guins on tv.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Handicap parking
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2019, 09:05:58 AM »
pen4life,

That is terrible but, unfortunately, not surprising.  Don't accept such a decision from the idiots that run parking.  I urge you to write polite letters to both Tressel and the chair of the Board of Trustees in which you note that parking spaces for handicapped fans are more important than additional tailgating space.  Sent both to this address: Youngstown State University, One University Plaza, Youngstown, OH 44555.

My guess is that they would accommodate you and others that need the service.

Online guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2019, 08:19:46 PM »
I walked through that lot about 10 minutes before kickoff and it was only half full. I also parked in the Wick deck.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline YSU1

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2019, 09:06:20 AM »
the whole stadium isn't senior friendly.  they should have built a bowl type stadium.  less steps

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2019, 07:41:40 PM »
I do not know if I completely agree. The new walkway is nice on the north-end, so people can avoid the east-side steps. It would be very simple to join the M-82 lot and the elevator. Frankly I am surprised this was not done. Include that in your note. I will support you all that I can.(not that it means anything).

Offline pen4life

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2019, 10:14:23 PM »
Spoke with a variety of university officials and no one seems to know nuthin. Admin says it's decision of events who say it's the athletic dept who in turn passes the buck to parking services. Nobody is willing to  seriously address this problem. Come on president Tressel this is no way to treat the handicapped and elderly. We are some of the teams most loyal supporters and we are being treated like dirt. It was us who were there when Dick Adipotti and the team faced Southern Connecticut, we were there when Denny Klembera faced Rodger  Staubach and now we can't get into the stadium.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2019, 09:51:36 AM »
Unless I'm missing something, this situation is simply WRONG and YSU should step up IMMEDIATELY to remedy.  I mean JT, the trustees, parking services, the AD and his department.  This isn't for "somebody" to fix, it's for EVERYBODY involved to fix, and NOW.  I't Wed. and there is a game Saturday.  If there isn't concrete action by them, heads should roll!
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline pen4life

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2019, 04:01:44 PM »
Sitting at home watching game on TV. My wife’s and my season tickets are sitting on the dining room table. My condition is acting up today and I would never have been able to walk the 1/2 mile uphill from the “handicap “ parking the University so graciously provided us. Good game so far, would liked to have been there but YSU does not seem interested in the attendance of handicapped or elderly. Go Guins !

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2019, 09:14:06 PM »
I went out of my way to walk through that new "tailgate" lot about fifteen minutes before kickoff.  There were two small tents erected and plenty of spaces available.  Meanwhile, pen4life sits at home.  This is an abomination.

So handicapped people should park in the Wick deck and take the shuttle.  Oh, the shuttle that loads in front of the art museum off Wick Avenue.  To reach that destination from the Wick deck, a person with mobility issues has two choices: park on level two and walk uphill a reasonably long distance up the entrance drive and then more yards to the front of the museum.  Or park on level three, take a bridge at the back of the museum, and then climb two steep stairways to the bus loading area.  Do you think that these idiots could have that shuttle pick up patrons at the Walnut entrance, so that handicapped folks could park on the bottom level and reach the shuttle after a brief, LEVEL walk?  NO, that would require a degree of intelligence beyond the capabilities of this so-called staff.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2019, 08:27:46 AM »
It seems like all we need to do is increase the quantity of spots. There is a simple and quick solution. Either lot M2 (in part), M53 (right next to police), or M52 should be designated for handicapped and a shuttle should run at 15-minute increments that drops people off at the elevator. However, I will say this. My parents parked in the handicapped lot (grass) back when they had it ... & 80% (possibly more) of those parking there were not even close to handicapped. They just borrowed stickers; this is why you have no real consideration today. Same thing with every overweight teen in America because they have grandmother's second sticker that the gov't generously provides widows with one vehicle.

Anyway, let's offer a real solution and the university will provide. The lower level of the parking deck is marked handicapped and is currently being used. This is level for walking. It is not the university's fault people abuse it. If we give part of the new M-80 tailgate lot, which is what some propose, then why did I pay $210 for my M80 pass while young miss Walmart's family enjoys the privilege for free? That is not a fair solution. If you are handicapped and wish to tailgate, then pay for it like everyone else.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2019, 08:59:25 AM »
Ridiculous to have that lot behind the east stands as a tailgate lot. Anything to bring in "money" for this incompetent athletic department.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2019, 11:35:18 AM »
IAA Fan,

You asked for a real solution, so here it is.  You actually hit upon it in your last post.  Make parts of the large lot on Rayen across from the Education School a reserved section for handicapped parking.  Run a special handicapped shuttle from that lot to near the elevator on the west side. That is the solution since the university obviously won't take away your new tailgate lot.

Why is that special shuttle necessary?  Because as I outlined yesterday, the current shuttle service at the Wick deck is worthless and inaccessible to truly handicapped people. 

You have contacts.  It is up to you to get this done. 

Online guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2019, 03:03:06 PM »
Ridiculous to have that lot behind the east stands as a tailgate lot. Anything to bring in "money" for this incompetent athletic department.
I have no problem with them making some money but the trick is balance, they do not seem to have a grip on that yet. The east lot was nowhere full again, they could have easily used it to make some handicap and/or season ticket holders very happy with a special parking rate.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline pen4life

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2019, 04:04:56 PM »
1AA Fan.    It is very unfair to imply that the victims of this mess are actually to blame because your parents said ”80% or more were not really handicapped. People have a gross ignorance of disability. Just because someone looks OK on the outside doesn’t mean the disability doesn’t exist on the inside. Even the fat kid you talked about may be dead in 6 months from a disorder most people can’t even spell much less recognize.  I am sure a few people abuse handicapped parking but all should not be punished because of the few. These views do not offer a realistic solution but are part of the problem.

Offline Joe Bernastat

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2019, 04:10:48 PM »

Yeah,,,how awful of them to try to make “money”,,,,,foolish statement,,,,utterly foolish
Joe Cool