Author Topic: This weekend's Games  (Read 5212 times)

Online IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
This weekend's Games
« on: August 31, 2019, 06:54:29 PM »
Salukis and MSU looked bad. Indiana State was the surprise. Who caught that fantastic 2nd OT throw for UNI? JMU played well, but did not take advantage of a WVU that was not playing well early. WVU could not run the ball against JMU.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: This weekend's Games
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2019, 08:13:33 PM »
This league is gonna be a bloodbath.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2019, 11:14:58 PM »
OK, what is wrong about this?

SDSU takes a 2018 bowl victor Big Ten team down to the wire.
UNI loses to a top 25 ranked P5 team in triple overtime.
Akron gets blown out 42-3 by perennial P5 doormat, Illinois.

You just got to love those fools in Zipperland.  They hired a coach whose claim to fame was beating Mount Union once while he was at John Carroll.  He then went to Chattanooga where he transformed a FCS playoff contender into a thorough mediocrity.  That "accomplishment" made him, apparently, the perfect choice for Akron.

Offline Kandrase

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2019, 08:46:59 AM »
OK, what is wrong about this?

SDSU takes a 2018 bowl victor Big Ten team down to the wire.
UNI loses to a top 25 ranked P5 team in triple overtime.
Akron gets blown out 42-3 by perennial P5 doormat, Illinois.

You just got to love those fools in Zipperland.  They hired a coach whose claim to fame was beating Mount Union once while he was at John Carroll.  He then went to Chattanooga where he transformed a FCS playoff contender into a thorough mediocrity.  That "accomplishment" made him, apparently, the perfect choice for Akron.

To be fair, as someone who follows d3 football, Akron’s new coach Arth, made John carrol a perennial playoff team and had a semi finals appearance. He did a little more than just beat Mount.

However I’m not saying it was a great hire either.

Offline Penquin68

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2019, 11:32:42 AM »
Don't forget that Indiana State was ahead of Kansas with 4 minutes to go in the game.  SDSU, UNI, and Indiana State did very well against FBS opponents.  Indiana State's QB is the real deal passing the ball.  It will be interesting to see how we match up against these teams.  Find out the first MVFC game against UNI. I still think our major question mark is QB.  The rest is mostly ok in my opinion.  Defense is much improved overall, kicking game is better, O line better, and Chapman is the real deal running the ball.  Kick coverage is a bit of a question.  Howard lost 79 - 0 against Maryland so probably won't learn much this Saturday. Hope Craycroft gets some meaningful snaps with deep throws to see if that is a good part of his game.

Offline YSU1

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2019, 12:51:28 PM »
Indiana States offensive line was huge.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2019, 05:01:15 PM »
Impressed with SDSU, UNI, INDIANA STATE, NDSU and GUINS. Rest of league stinks.  Some poor defenses in week 1. Let's see how next week pans out. Go Guins!!!

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2019, 07:08:31 PM »
The Jury is still out on our OL, RB's and especially QB positions.  I throw in the OL because Samford was not a true test.  The glaring issue I see is that we will have issues in the running game against the top teams and what magnifies this issue is the QB position.  I like Mays, think he is a gamer, but he does not possess the talent to win the game when it is on the line with his arm. Hell, I am not sure that he will hold up considering the abuse he takes running the ball.  I am a skeptic and don't necessarily believe we are as good on offense in comparison to the top tiered teams.  Maybe we are better than what I saw.....but RB by committee and QB usually does not result in post season statistics.  I think the coaching is better this year having Carl back and that should translate to wins plus improvement with underclass over the season.  That being said we still have to deal with the MVFC and many of the top teams.  If we can get a few W's from teams we aren't supposed to beat we will be in good shape come playoffs.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2019, 07:09:31 PM by penguinpower »

Online IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2019, 09:29:53 AM »
Let's be fair. The jury is still out on the defensive side of the ball as well. Aside from and abundance of DL's, the rest in questionable. The secondary had no idea what they were doing against the back-up QB. Kick coverage is more than questionable...it is bad. In fact the offense improved dramatically. McFadden seems skilled and DeSalvo can at least get the ball across midfield when we need it. I think his accuracy will improve. Jones had a couple of snafu's ... that cannot happen. Hope he gets back to work.

Overall I am excited about the season and I am excited for Saturday to come.

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2019, 12:06:15 PM »
A point on the DBs with the backup QB. The backup was more mobile and was able to evade the pass rush, buying time for the receivers to get open. And the few times in the game we had blown coverage looked correctable (it was a week 0 first game after all). I think our secondary is going to be pretty good provided no injuries. maybe that's just my opinion.

Also, to be fair to Jones, having our offense switch out QBs made that high snap more likely. Also to be fair the qb should have still fielded it and the punter should have fielded the snap he got. So can he be better? Sure but it wasn't like his were all that bad, the other players share responsibility for those too.