Author Topic: The MVFC maybe dead?!  (Read 10056 times)

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
The MVFC maybe dead?!
« on: August 30, 2019, 08:55:00 AM »
Nice performance going 0-4 last night.

Watching those games YSU should get 4 win's there. The goofers suck so I don't need to hear B1G team BS.

Figures YSU don't have MO State on the schedule :o
« Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 09:06:17 AM by ysubigred »

Offline Kandrase

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: The MVFC maybe dead?!
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2019, 10:30:06 AM »
Minnesota won a bowl game last year. SDSU had the leads with like 5 minutes to play but fumbled in their own territory... and one of the gophers scores came off a pick 6. A cleaner game and SDSU wins. I disagree the jackrabbits look like a national power to me.

Missouri state is always bad so not surprised, I was surprised that western lost though.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2019, 10:34:23 AM »

Watching those games YSU should get 4 win's there. The goofers suck so I don't need to hear B1G team BS.

Anybody can type "goofers suck" but they thumped Wisconsin last year and beat Georgia Tech in a bowl game, so you credibility is drawn into question.  SDSU lost on late turnovers; your implication that SDSU should be a walkover for the Quins is highly doubtful. 
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2019, 10:55:34 AM »
SDSU is legit. They were the better team more than half that game.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2019, 01:34:58 PM »
I thought (hoped) that SDSU would decline after they lost their elite quarterback.  Nope.  They are as good as ever. 

Missouri State and Southern Illinois play no defense, so road losses are to be expected.  The performance by Western Illinois might have been surprising on the surface, but that entire school is in serious trouble.  They have lost over 25% of their enrollment.  Hard to believe that they still have the resources to compete on the top of FCS.

The top five in the MVFC is still vastly superior to the top five in any other FCS conference.

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2019, 01:35:09 PM »

Anybody can type "goofers suck" but they thumped Wisconsin last year and beat Georgia Tech in a bowl game, so you credibility is drawn into question.  SDSU lost on late turnovers; your implication that SDSU should be a walkover for the Quins is highly doubtful.

Usually if you have nothing and question someone's credibility you have to go to what happened last year  ;) SDSU has a decent defense and "IF" YSU don't improve on Offense yes I agree it could be a long game.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2019, 04:18:44 PM »
I thought (hoped) that SDSU would decline after they lost their elite quarterback.  Nope.  They are as good as ever. 

Missouri State and Southern Illinois play no defense, so road losses are to be expected.  The performance by Western Illinois might have been surprising on the surface, but that entire school is in serious trouble.  They have lost over 25% of their enrollment.  Hard to believe that they still have the resources to compete on the top of FCS.

The top five in the MVFC is still vastly superior to the top five in any other FCS conference.
YSU connection.... Did know that YSU's last Provost (forced to resign) became their new provost and it was reported that before he started the new job, he was made their new interim university president...

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2019, 09:06:53 AM »
Week 0/1 in the books.

MVFC 2-8 2 wins against poor teams.

Most impressed with UNI. Least impressed with SIU.

Next up Howard for the Guins a 79-0 loss to Maryland. Don't think the Guins got the horses or the fortitude to pin 79 on the Bison but I'll be disappointed "if" they don't pitch a shut out.

**Scalp of the week Kennesaw State will drill Kent State 41-17

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2019, 09:54:55 AM »
Time will tell, but IMO I don't write off Samford as a poor team just yet.  Unless Maryland is going to challenge New England for the Super Bowl, it seems fair to say Howard is poor, but so was Butler last year!

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2019, 10:36:36 AM »
Butler wanted it more than YSU. Face it YSU last year was heartless and did not perform well. I believe bringing in the ND QB for one year was not good and was a bad thing for the total team.

From what I seen in just one game this is a YSU team that has more heart and with the culture change (the sledged hammer and helmet thing) I believe we will see a more spirited team. Hell, I've went to YSU game in the last 10 years where I thought I was at a wake not a football game, coming from both the team and the fans.

Yes Go time will tell and the MVFC will be a challenge. Nice to have the two big Dakota schools at home. UNI will be out for revenge. The Dukes will bring their "A" game so YSU better not be sleeping here.

I'm more interested this year in YSU football than the last 10.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 10:44:35 AM by ysubigred »

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2019, 11:45:33 AM »
Butler wanted it more than YSU. Face it YSU last year was heartless and did not perform well. I believe bringing in the ND QB for one year was not good and was a bad thing for the total team.

From what I seen in just one game this is a YSU team that has more heart and with the culture change (the sledged hammer and helmet thing) I believe we will see a more spirited team. Hell, I've went to YSU game in the last 10 years where I thought I was at a wake not a football game, coming from both the team and the fans.

Yes Go time will tell and the MVFC will be a challenge. Nice to have the two big Dakota schools at home. UNI will be out for revenge. The Dukes will bring their "A" game so YSU better not be sleeping here.

Wish I shared your enthusiasm for this season.  I see us critically hanging on by the health of one player only in several different areas.  If we lose Zaire Jones the DB goes completely in the dumper.  We lose Matt Jones and the OL is crap, we lose Justus Reed and the DL is done.  Front line players are pretty much OK, but we have -0- depth and I afraid 8 MVFC games is going to expose that.  Frankly I'd rather play AT ND and SD for the State U teams.  We go 4-0 pre-league, lose to NDSU and SDSU up there and we would need to go 4-2 with 4 of those being home to make the playoffs.  NOW we lose to NDSU and SDUS and we have to go 4-2 with 4 of the games on the road. We have such a good track record inside the UNIDOME (NOT) and need something in S Ill, SD or Ill St.  this is a TOUGH schedule and we NEED every player healthy.  Tall task.

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2019, 02:55:01 PM »

Wish I shared your enthusiasm for this season.  I see us critically hanging on by the health of one player only in several different areas.  If we lose Zaire Jones the DB goes completely in the dumper.  We lose Matt Jones and the OL is crap, we lose Justus Reed and the DL is done.  Front line players are pretty much OK, but we have -0- depth and I afraid 8 MVFC games is going to expose that.  Frankly I'd rather play AT ND and SD for the State U teams.  We go 4-0 pre-league, lose to NDSU and SDSU up there and we would need to go 4-2 with 4 of those being home to make the playoffs.  NOW we lose to NDSU and SDUS and we have to go 4-2 with 4 of the games on the road. We have such a good track record inside the UNIDOME (NOT) and need something in S Ill, SD or Ill St.  this is a TOUGH schedule and we NEED every player healthy.  Tall task.

Of course every starter staying healthy is better. Why I feel so good about this team is there is depth and the attitudes are now the next man up not oh sh** what do we do!

The power of positive thinking my friend!

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2019, 09:44:04 AM »
If you see depth in behind Zaire, Matt and Justus, you're one up on me.  We had 3 interceptions last YEAR and Jones was responsible for 3 against Samford.  Last year we averaged less than 1-1/2 sacks a game, Reed has 2-1/2 against Samford.  The improvement at center is less dramatic at center because our center last year was a 4 year starter and our best player, but Jones centered a run game that rushed 59 times for 317 yards.  You see "next man up" adequate backups and I see HUGE holes if any of them go down.  Hope your right, but "fan" is short for fanatic and IMO your optimism lacks honest realism.

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2019, 04:55:19 PM »
Dayton  ;D

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2019, 08:50:14 PM »
Dayton  ;D

Yea what a difference a week made for ISU Blue.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne