Author Topic: Penguin Game Day: Samford  (Read 20389 times)

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Penguin Game Day: Samford
« Reply #45 on: August 28, 2019, 10:19:01 AM »
1AA, I find it interesting you have the 80's defensives better than the 2016 D, lead by two NFL DE's that played for the national championship.  In fact, I think this current defense may be the most individually talented D I've seen at YSU and that includes all 7 times we've played for the national championship!  In fact, I don't believe any of the 80's teams made it past the quarterfinals and in the one quarterfinal we played, we gave up 42 to Furman.  Not the greatest D imaginable.  I find your fascination with Haycock and Montgomery interesting, in a perverted sort of way maybe, but interesting.  Monty is long gone.  He is gone because his offensive philosophy doesn't match Bo's. So the implication that we are reverting to Monty's O is just blind loyalty to a guy gone and best forgotten.
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #46 on: August 28, 2019, 03:49:34 PM »
You are quite correct go guins. It may be 1st-game excitement, but we were so much more opportunistic on D as well...very exciting to watch. Although we paid for it twice. That will diminish with experience.

I have no loyalty to coach M once he left, I only follow YSU. Why do you guys get so bent out of shape that a coach would call plays similar to the guy he trained under? Why would you even care that I made a comment. Heck I simply ignore comments on topics that I do not care for. Every single coach does the same thing. The mere fact that we had 2 NFL-caliber DE's shows you how difficult & limited our defensive schema is.

In 2016 we gave up 20ppg average. We gave up an average of almost 5 (yes 5) first downs per game on defensive penalties. We gave up an average of 3.8 ypa rushing and 7.2 ypa passing (5.2 yards per play given up by the 2016 Penguin defense)  In short, it took less than 2 plays (on average) to get a first down against us. Well, the rules allow 4 tries to get a first down and averaging 5.2 per snap is basically allowing your opponent to score every time they get the ball, so we better have darn good special teams. These are not good, but acceptable numbers by today's standards. Conversely, Heacock's 1990's defense set an NCAA record for fewest PPG ...at the end of regular season it was 7.8 and jumped to 10.2 for the season. (1994 I think). That defense gave up and average of 3.2 yards-per play. On average, 3-plays that year did not yield a 1st-down against YSU.

So, clearly football has changed over the past 20+ years. However one thing has never changed ...The bottom line is that a team's defense needs to average less than 10-yards per 3-downs or be prepared to score often. It was that way in the 90's & is that way in today. This is called winning the game in the trenches it is what YSu has always done better than most.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 03:51:43 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 29, 2019, 04:57:40 PM »

So, clearly football has changed over the past 20+ years. However one thing has never changed ...The bottom line is that a team's defense needs to average less than 10-yards per 3-downs or be prepared to score often. It was that way in the 90's & is that way in today. This is called winning the game in the trenches it is what YSu has always done better than most.
This may be part of your problem, this is CERTAINLY NOT TRUE and probably hasn't been true for decades!  We average may 4.5 per rush and 6 per pass AND SO DO OUR OPPONENTS within a yard or so most seasons.  You average MORE than 10 yards per 3 plays, it's the big plays that count.  We have some playmakers on D, but not so much on O and that is what will be our downfall eventually, and that's the reason we are clamoring for Craycraft/Waid because they have the arms to make the big plays on offense.  Mays is that dreaded "game manager", but not so much with the playmaker.  We NEED big plays on O.   
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!