Author Topic: Samford Game  (Read 16150 times)

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Samford Game
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2019, 06:34:57 AM »
From today's Vindy:
By Dan hiner

dhiner@vindy.com

Youngstown

Nearly a month of practice, film study and conditioning is in the books. The wait is finally over.

Game week has arrived for the Youngstown State football team.

The season opener on Saturday against Samford in Montgomery, Ala., doesn’t just provide an opportunity for a win. It’s a shot at redemption.

The Penguins’ 23-21 loss to Butler in last year’s opener is still on the players’ minds. The loss to an eventual 4-7 team derailed the season.

YSU’s path to atonement starts on the national stage. The Penguins don’t play an FBS program this season, so the players view Samford as their key non-conference opponent.

“I would say that the gravity — the fact that it’s on TV [ESPN} — the first one is always the easiest to get a little extra juice for,” quarterback Nathan Mays said.

Other veterans are returning to help. Defensive end Justus Reed and safety Kyle Hegedus are back for the Penguins.

Both suffered season-ending injuries and missed the opener against Butler. Both will start on Saturday, aiding a defense that allowed nearly 200 passing yards per game last season.

“We have everything to prove,” Hegedus said. “In previous years, we had a standard to being the No. 1 pass defense in the country. ... We’re still holding that standard. We’re looking to make a statement that we are who we say we are, being the No. 1 pass defense in the country.

“So we have something to prove, but we also have the confidence. We talk about it in our meeting room. We want the swagger, we want the discipline, we want to be violent, we wanna be relentless.”

Help in the passing game will be needed.

Samford has averaged 33.9 points per game since Chris Hatcher took over the program in 2015. The Bulldogs threw for an FCS-leading 392.7 yards per game last season. They also ranked sixth with 34 passing touchdowns.

However, quarterback Devlin Hodges, who started for four years at Samford, is currently on the Pittsburgh Steelers roster.

Liam Welch and Chris Oladokun have competed for the starting quarterback job. Oladokun played in six games — starting in three — for South Florida before transferring during the offseason.

“We’re not really worried about what they do, more so how we come out and how we play that day,” Reed said.

Quarterback Questions

Mays and Joe Craycraft are listed as potential starters under center.

The duo has battled for the starting job throughout fall camp, but YSU head coach Bo Pelini said this week’s practice will dictate who gets on the field first.

Leftover Left Guard

Quarterback isn’t the only position still up in the air.

The depth chart had senior Myles Douglas and West Branch graduate Jacob Zinni both listed as the left guard.

Pelni said the team is still trying to figure out it’s offensive line combinations and the split starter is a product of interior O-line depth.

“They’re both playing well,” Pelini said. “They’re both doing some good things. I’m sure you’ll see ‘em both at some point.”

MCFADDEN Gets the Call

Poland graduate Colten McFadden will start at kicker. He transferred from Akron during the offseason.

Pelini said Grant Gonya has been dealing with a quad injury, but could be available if needed.

Austintown Fitch graduate Nick DeSalvo was named the starting punter.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2019, 03:37:02 PM »
If YSU is fortunate enough to WIN and be 1-0 it doesn't guarantee 4-0.  I would be concerned about Duquesne as they seem to improve every year and always seem to add FBS transfers that contribute.

Good Post! Samford is not the most-challenging team of the first 4. They are very 1-dimensional on offense. May be the best D of the 4 though. With the loss of Hodges, they may need to run the ball.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2019, 04:31:29 PM »
If I had to guess, Mays will be the guy to start.
It is hard to believe that we have not yet announced the starters (especially QB) 3 days before the game. I was hoping the coach would  give Craycraft the chance to start.

I'm not surprised. Mays is Bo's guy.

When did he become "Bo's guy" Chief? I always thought Bo sees Mays as a Monty hold-over, drop-back QB. Not that I see anything wrong with that assessment, but I understand that Bo and Monty shared words over Wells and he only went in as our last healthy option. I mean Wells took us to the promise-land with it. Do you see anything coming from Collins? With that height and HS pedigree you would think his vision and talent is excellent.

Offline OleYSUfan

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2019, 06:35:06 PM »
Here we go -  our 1st game of the season.

Mays will start at QB, not necessarily because Bo likes Mays more. Bo likes veterans that have seen action in tough situations. So, I believe Mays will start, but he may not finish.
  Samford will be a formidable opponent and last years films will not show anything about this year's Samford team. Thus we will have to adjust on the fly, something we did not do well against Butler last year.
  Maybe that horrible lost to Butler will motive and inspire this years team to be determined. I expect the game to be close, but following YSU for years I have seen many errors that put us in the lost column due to dropped passes, fumbles, interceptions missed tackles and critical injuries.
  It would be very nice to win this one in front of a large TV audience. So GO BO and the YSU team to a victory!!

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2019, 11:11:13 PM »
The Southern Conference used to be an elite IAA/FCS force, producing national champions like Georgia Southern, Marshall, and Appalachian State.  Today, nobody in the Southern Conference can compete against the first division of the MVFC.  The obvious question is whether we qualify as a first division component of our conference.  We find out on Saturday.

I always like our matchups against pass-happy teams.  I have never seen such a FCS team defend against a power running game.  They can't even simulate it in practice as their o-linemen have been recruited to pass-block, not attack.

Be relentless, pound them between the tackles, pass when we want to, and avoid stupid penalties and blown assignments.  If we play well and still lose, then quite frankly we have surrendered any claim to be relevant on the FCS national stage.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2019, 09:18:34 AM »
Run the ball and play sound defense. Let the D-Line wreak havoc and I predict a YSU winner.

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2019, 09:49:32 AM »
Run the ball and play sound defense. Let the D-Line wreak havoc and I predict a YSU winner.

We seem pretty inexperienced at DT. How are they looking chief?

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2019, 10:02:26 AM »

We seem pretty inexperienced at DT. How are they looking chief?

Talented but Samford OL is big and experienced. They return 4 out of 5 from last year. Gonna be a handful.

Offline Kandrase

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2019, 12:36:20 PM »
If YSU is fortunate enough to WIN and be 1-0 it doesn't guarantee 4-0.  I would be concerned about Duquesne as they seem to improve every year and always seem to add FBS transfers that contribute.

Good Post! Samford is not the most-challenging team of the first 4. They are very 1-dimensional on offense. May be the best D of the 4 though. With the loss of Hodges, they may need to run the ball.

Who is going to be more challenge? The other 3 are at home, 2 are reduced scholarship and 1 was 4-6 last year.

I just remembered Duquesne won a playoff game last year. So I guess you can make an argument for them... but we usually just roll Duquesne at home and I just don’t think it’ll be much different this year
« Last Edit: August 22, 2019, 12:47:44 PM by Kandrase »

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2019, 12:40:25 PM »
Samford will do what they do. Short, quick passing game with tempo. They have an experienced O-Line and some good WR's and RB. We'll see.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2019, 06:27:40 PM »

Who is going to be more challenge? The other 3 are at home, 2 are reduced scholarship and 1 was 4-6 last year.

I just remembered Duquesne won a playoff game last year. So I guess you can make an argument for them... but we usually just roll Duquesne at home and I just don’t think it’ll be much different this year

You can say that, but we should roll over Samford as well & did not the last time we played them. Also, the last time we were rebuilding we had to score in the final seconds to go into OT against RMU. Duquesne did well early last year & then injuries took their toll, but SDSU won comfortably. I was actually talking about Butler (recalling our embarrassment last year), but I forgot it was replaced with Howard. My mistake. Let's not overlook Howard though, just the kind of game to get us in trouble. Howard played well against OU, Bethune-Cookman, FLAMU and Bryant last year. They almost beat UNLV the year before. Newton and Ezzard make a real good combination, both players (QB and WR) are the best in the MEAC.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2019, 10:10:52 AM »
It's going to come down to which team can adjust better in the 2nd half. I expect a close game down to the wire.

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2019, 08:52:31 PM »
I'm excited football is coming back! I hope my penguins win this one.

Offline Penquin68

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2019, 10:40:25 PM »
Looking forward to the game. I am cautiously optimistic; my only big concern is QB as with most.  I hope our Farrell running back, Chapman, is ready to give us a big and somewhat fast RB like Tamron or the RB we had from the Akron area; can't recall his name now. That will take the heat off the passing game. Also saw our scrimmages and the the O and D lines looked ok to me. Much improved safety play also. I know I am a fan so I hope I am right not just hoping for a big turn around. The league sure doesn't think much of us. Tomorrow will be interesting.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2019, 05:26:05 AM »
If our defense is as good as what I’ve read on all of these message boards and we can run the ball it should be our game as long as we don’t turn the ball over. I’ve read a few articles that say they are a pass first team but I’ve also read that they do have a good running game. If the game is won on the line of scrimmage as I believe it to be, then we have the advantage as long as we don’t commit stupid penalties or turnovers. If we are see average QB play it should be enough with our defense being the strength of the team. The problem is that it is the first game and mistakes can be be costly to the point where you can’t recover. If we end up with penalties, blown assignments on defense or interceptions and fumbles on offense we will blow it just like what happened last year. Good teams don’t let you get away with that. It sounds to me that they are well coached and just do what they do, meaning they have an identity on offense unlike what we had last year.