Author Topic: Samford Game  (Read 16017 times)

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Samford Game
« on: August 19, 2019, 03:56:28 PM »
Well folks, it's game week. Let's get it started!

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Samford Game
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2019, 04:03:55 PM »
From the East Liverpool Review

YSU kicks off 150th season of college football

YOUNGSTOWN — Even though Youngstown State’s football history began nearly 70 years after the birth of college football, the Penguins will be a part of the opening game of the sport’s 150th season.

YSU will face the Samford Bulldogs at 3 p.m. Saturday in the sixth annual FCS Kickoff at the Cramton Bowl in Montgomery, Alabama. The game will be nationally broadcast on ESPN.

“It didn’t really strike me until I saw these patches on our uniform,” West Branch graduate and senior offensive lineman Jake Zinni said. “I was like ‘Man, 150 years of college football is pretty sweet and I get to be a part of that.'”

https://www.reviewonline.com/sports/local-sports/2019/08/ysu%e2%80%88kicks-off-150th-season-of-college-football/
« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 04:04:29 PM by ysubigred »

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2019, 05:08:56 PM »
Chief22,

Did they announce the starting line up yet?

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2019, 05:54:23 PM »
ET,

Pelini's first radio program is this evening.  We may or may not learn more today.

Most of you could not care less about this, but the NCAA is celebrating the 150th anniversity of absolutely nothing.  The notion that Rutgers and Princeton played the first "football" game in 1869 is as ridiculous as the myth that Abner Doubleday created baseball.  Yes, students from those schools met and played a game....it was like freakin' soccer.  You advanced the ball by KICKING it or batting it with your hand.  You COULD NOT RUN WITH THE BALL and you COULD NOT TACKLE ANYBODY. >:(

REAL FOOTBALL evolved from rugby which students from McGill University in Canada introduced to Harvard students in 1874.  The next year, Harvard and Yale played a rugby style game much more similar to real football than that soccer-like junk.  A young Yale student played in that game.... Walter Camp.  He would subsequently be the central force in forming football out of rugby over the next several decades as the Yale team captain and then long-time coach.

Sorry for this rant.

Offline YSU1

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2019, 06:07:15 PM »
Maybe YSU can play some REAL football this year.  Losing to Butler last year was devastating.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 06:11:21 PM by YSU1 »

Offline Kandrase

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2019, 07:07:15 PM »
The importance of this game can not be overstated. A win sets us up to go 4-0 headed into conference play. Hero sports preview of YSU made a great point that If we go 4-0 to start we only have to go 4-4 in conference to make the playoffs. Big game on national TV, really need to set the tone for the season... go Guins!

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2019, 09:54:09 PM »
I listened to, or tried to listen to, Pelini's interview this evening.  Radio station 1390 made a mess out of it.  Sound kept going on and off repeatedly for the whole hour.  Anyway here is what could be dug out from the audible portion.

No decision yet between Mays and Craycraft.  Also, Waid will play early in the season as there are special packages in the offense designed for him.  Pelini is well aware of the 4 game limit for redshirting freshmen.

Pelini is very happy with the depth and talent of the defensive line.  Also satisfied with the overall defense.

No mention about the kicking game, at least in the parts of the hour that somebody could hear.

Offensive line coach Peterson also interviewed, but that was the portion where the sound was really messed up.  He did mention the usual platitudes about his players reflecting the work ethic of Y-town.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2019, 11:48:09 AM »
If I had to guess, Mays will be the guy to start.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2019, 12:21:22 PM »
It is hard to believe that we have not yet announced the starters (especially QB) 3 days before the game. I was hoping the coach would  give Craycraft the chance to start.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2019, 12:37:46 PM »
It is hard to believe that we have not yet announced the starters (especially QB) 3 days before the game. I was hoping the coach would  give Craycraft the chance to start.

I'm not surprised. Mays is Bo's guy.

Offline pittsburghpenguin

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2019, 02:01:46 PM »
If you go to Samford's website it gives the game notes for both team. It has Mays as starter then Craycraft and Waid

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2019, 02:14:09 PM »
I know some guys are banged up so we'll see come Saturday.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 03:17:29 PM by ytownchief22 »

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2019, 03:16:26 PM »
ET,

Pelini's first radio program is this evening.  We may or may not learn more today.

Most of you could not care less about this, but the NCAA is celebrating the 150th anniversity of absolutely nothing.  The notion that Rutgers and Princeton played the first "football" game in 1869 is as ridiculous as the myth that Abner Doubleday created baseball.  Yes, students from those schools met and played a game....it was like freakin' soccer.  You advanced the ball by KICKING it or batting it with your hand.  You COULD NOT RUN WITH THE BALL and you COULD NOT TACKLE ANYBODY. >:(

REAL FOOTBALL evolved from rugby which students from McGill University in Canada introduced to Harvard students in 1874.  The next year, Harvard and Yale played a rugby style game much more similar to real football than that soccer-like junk.  A young Yale student played in that game.... Walter Camp.  He would subsequently be the central force in forming football out of rugby over the next several decades as the Yale team captain and then long-time coach.

Sorry for this rant.

Just kidding Wick, your rant is totally valid.  :afro:

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2019, 03:47:22 PM »
If YSU is fortunate enough to WIN and be 1-0 it doesn't guarantee 4-0.  I would be concerned about Duquesne as they seem to improve every year and always seem to add FBS transfers that contribute.

Offline Kandrase

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2019, 09:31:19 PM »
If YSU is fortunate enough to WIN and be 1-0 it doesn't guarantee 4-0.  I would be concerned about Duquesne as they seem to improve every year and always seem to add FBS transfers that contribute.

Nope certainly doesn’t guarantee it, but it’s a very good possibility.