Author Topic: Camp Thread  (Read 26862 times)

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Camp Thread
« Reply #45 on: August 13, 2019, 11:44:24 AM »
Bo obviously likes Mays and he says that he's comfortable with all 3 starting but you know the old saying....
IMO, Mays might be ok in Bo's mind if we have a dependent OL (opening the gaps) where we can use the run to setup the timely passes. With a marginal OL, we may have to use the pass to set up the run and this is where Mays could have the problems.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #46 on: August 13, 2019, 01:48:07 PM »
Well we certainly seem to have our share of D-linemen, maybe we can convert a 2 or 3 of them to the other side? Although I will say that a number of those are small & probably came from Bo looking for a couple of big-time DE's. ET is right on with the required oline. GoGuins, you a re right on with the TB's, but I will say that I was never a big fan of McCaster. Too much of a full-back. However, give him credit, he trimmed up and did some footwork his senior year. This year's crop of TB's has tremendous potential, but who knows?

- Braxton Chapman    TB    So.    6-2            220
- Christian Turner    TB    Jr.    5-10    195    
- London Pearson    TB    Jr.    5-11    195
- Dra Rushton            TB    RFr.    5-11    170
- Joe Alessi            TB    Sr.    5-10    190

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 13, 2019, 02:23:35 PM »
IAA,

We need those two speedy/quick backs (must be getting old... I forgot their names already.... especially that kid from Toledo) from our championship game 3 years ago. Do we have anyone on our roster matching that?

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 13, 2019, 04:51:02 PM »
Well we certainly seem to have our share of D-linemen, maybe we can convert a 2 or 3 of them to the other side? Although I will say that a number of those are small & probably came from Bo looking for a couple of big-time DE's. ET is right on with the required oline. GoGuins, you a re right on with the TB's, but I will say that I was never a big fan of McCaster. Too much of a full-back. However, give him credit, he trimmed up and did some footwork his senior year. This year's crop of TB's has tremendous potential, but who knows?

- Braxton Chapman    TB    So.    6-2            220
- Christian Turner    TB    Jr.    5-10    195    
- London Pearson    TB    Jr.    5-11    195
- Dra Rushton            TB    RFr.    5-11    170
- Joe Alessi            TB    Sr.    5-10    190
I can type too, just the the people in the sports information department.  if Christian Turner and London Pearson are 195 then i'm 165   if they can add 20# to each of them, they I can take 20# off my weight!   

I count 15 DL but we have tons of OL also. (I count 18 OL)  Just body count doesn't mean much if they can't play. 
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline YSU1

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 13, 2019, 07:36:38 PM »
If we can"t pass very well and we can't run the ball, how are we going to score.

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 13, 2019, 07:56:42 PM »
We have a chance to be a good football team according to the head coach.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 13, 2019, 10:52:44 PM »
One thing has not changed about college football since it started to evolve in the 1870s.  Teams with the best offensive and defensive lines usually win.  Strength up front covers up a whole lot of problems.

Of course the o-line was disappointing last season, but why are so many of you sure it will not improve?  Are we not starting four new guys there?  Is not the vital center position now manned by a transfer that started for a very high-powered FBS offense?  Most importantly, Pelini had inherited Wolford's o-line coach.  Now he has a guy that he knows and trusts, having played with him at OSU,  More importantly, Peterson coached for Tressel at OSU for 8 years. 

The d-line sees the return of a top-notch end, and there is more depth there then we have had in a long time.  Some of those guys are inexperienced, but they have quite good credentials coming out of high school. It is not unreasonable to expect significant improvement there also.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 15, 2019, 09:37:10 AM »
QB's really struggling throwing the ball in practice. INT's and overthrows galore. Time to be concerned yet?

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 15, 2019, 10:39:02 AM »
Its pretty obvious that the lack of quality coaches on this team is a major issue.  Outside of the 2 Pelinis and Peterson, the rest should be cutting their teeth on Friday nights not Saturday afternoons in FCS.  They are unproven and over-chaired.  I dont blame them but the HC for assembling such a green horn staff.  Which is another topic in and of itself.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #54 on: August 15, 2019, 01:05:21 PM »
Great point on staff and maybe I will break that topic out to a thread.

I will say this. I was never a fan of Mark Brungard, talk about missed throws, but he achieved great things. I remember that they let him go wild against Alcorn. Then again, they had no chance against us. The next week he kept Mark in check against EKU and it was close. Our TB back then was Shawn Patton, who struggled at times against big lines with Tressel's off-tackle offense. I cannot remember his name, but coach T knew we would struggle on the ground against Alcorn and brought in a converted linebacker who had a great day for us.

Maybe this team will do the same with Mays and our crop of TB's?

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 15, 2019, 02:16:06 PM »
Goodnews.  Excellent point that is hard to disagree with.  But let's look at this from another perspective. Wolford had many veteran coaches and constantly bragged about them.  Yet those he brought in on the defensive side of the ball failed, and failed badly.

On the other hand, Tressel had Conatser (spelling?) and veteran and respected high school coach Bob Stoops.  Usually, the rest of this staff consisted of young coaches trying to make their mark in the profession: Dantonio, Bollman, Treadwell, Heacock, the much maligned Klacek, and even student volunteer Mangino.  All of these men advanced to be head coaches at the college level or coordinators at big time programs.  All of them had the same standing as the "kids" that Pelini uses when they worked at YSU.

So given the financial restrictions of FCS football, is it better to hire inexperienced, ambitious young assistants or established, experienced veterans looking for jobs?  Or perhaps a mixture of both.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 16, 2019, 09:11:29 AM »
We have a chance to be a good football team according to the head coach.
And two years ago the Browns had a chance to win the super bowl.  (It just wasn't a good chance!)

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 16, 2019, 09:26:22 AM »
Now we are going to blame the mess that is the YSU offensive on the assistant coaches?  Give me the Browns DL and I'll be a good DL coach,  Give Bill Belichick me and 3 of my friends and he'll be a TERRIBLE DL coach.  College football is all about recruiting.  I think we may have some decent 1AA QB talent on the roster, but there are serious questions at OL, TB WR and TE.  I've watched Tom Brady for years, that SOB can't throw a lick when laying on his back.  I'll bet we find the same is true for Mays, Craycraft Waid, et. al. 

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 20, 2019, 12:08:11 PM »
One quick note. There's another quality control coach on staff in Devin Jordan who was a WR at Ohio State and was a student assistant under JT. Holds almost every receiving record at Massillon high school. Not a bad guy to have on staff.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 20, 2019, 12:18:33 PM »
One quick note. There's another quality control coach on staff in Devin Jordan who was a WR at Ohio State and was a student assistant under JT. Holds almost every receiving record at Massillon high school. Not a bad guy to have on staff.

What is his responsibility?