Author Topic: Camp Thread  (Read 27223 times)

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Camp Thread
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2019, 08:50:45 AM »
After the QB questions (none of which has even a hint of an answer, despite all the wishful hopes on this thread) The return to form of Reed, Hegedus and Hawkins from injury would go a LONG way to get us to .500 
With Mays at QB Turner at TB, and Justus, Kyle, and Kierre shadows of their former selves, we look 3-9 to me. 
Being "cleared to practice" and being back to full speed, and having the confidence to plant a foot and cut full out are very different things.  The psychological recovery period us almost always longer than the physical recovery. 
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2019, 10:13:37 PM »
Starting QB's and starting offense in general really struggled today. Mays was picked off early. Defense was on point.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2019, 10:11:20 AM »
Those first two drives were with the 1st-team O-line Chief. No protection what so ever. Has me very concerned. Seemed like every pass was tipped and they got to McFadden. Am I overreacting? Mays mixed it up on the 5th drive, as did Waid on the 6th. I forgot about Mitchell at LB, so that unit is looking deeper than expected.

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2019, 12:16:49 PM »
The staff keeps kicking the can down the road with quarterbacks.  Unsure who to start and when.  Its been a problem for the past 4 years.  Need I bring up Hunter? Pick a QB that gives us the best chance to win today.  If its close, pick the younger QB.  This isn't a new phenomenon.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2019, 04:09:14 PM »
I suspect that this quarterback derby is just hype fed to the media.  Coaches know who will start in Alabama.  Mays has experience in big games, and it is probably not wise to start a completely inexperienced quarterback in the opener on the road.  The game plan undoubtedly will be to run right at Samford, as teams that throw the ball all over the place usually are weak defending against the run.  That fits Mays perfectly.  Whether Mays can keep the job for the entire season is another issue.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2019, 05:42:06 PM »
I suspect that this quarterback derby is just hype fed to the media.  Coaches know who will start in Alabama.  Mays has experience in big games, and it is probably not wise to start a completely inexperienced quarterback in the opener on the road.  The game plan undoubtedly will be to run right at Samford, as teams that throw the ball all over the place usually are weak defending against the run.  That fits Mays perfectly.  Whether Mays can keep the job for the entire season is another issue.

Spot on.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2019, 08:48:27 AM »
Doesn't matter who starts the season at QB.  Mays will knock himself out 1/2 way through the first game anyway.  We've seen him for 3 years now and I don't think he's made 2 games in a row yet?
There is no doubt in my mind we have much better talent on the D than the O, but you can't win in today's game with just D.  You've got to put up 28 minimum and if anybody can see this team doing that, please speak up, I'll feel a lot better than I do now!

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2019, 09:00:29 AM »
Doesn't matter who starts the season at QB.  Mays will knock himself out 1/2 way through the first game anyway.  We've seen him for 3 years now and I don't think he's made 2 games in a row yet?
There is no doubt in my mind we have much better talent on the D than the O, but you can't win in today's game with just D.  You've got to put up 28 minimum and if anybody can see this team doing that, please speak up, I'll feel a lot better than I do now!

O will not put up 28 points in league play unless a new QB emerging (other than Mays) or defense scoring 2 tds (or put the ball inside the two yard line) in a game.
I still think we could be capable being a .500 team if O would not turn the ball over couple of times a game, especially in our side of the field.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2019, 02:42:34 PM »

O will not put up 28 points in league play unless a new QB emerging (other than Mays) or defense scoring 2 tds (or put the ball inside the two yard line) in a game.
I still think we could be capable being a .500 team if O would not turn the ball over couple of times a game, especially in our side of the field.
ET, lots of "IF's" in your comments.  Do you see any of that happening?  Mays doesn't throw many INTs, since he takes a quick look 5 yards downfield, if somebody isn't wide open, he tucks and runs, but I see a lot of RB fumbles with Turner as your every down back, (we fumbled 20 times last year, forced 11) and a lot of 2nd and 12 and 3rd and 14 with this O line.  We (all of us) have focused on the HUGE question at QB, correctly so IMO, but we have made little comment about losing most of what was at best a very mediocre OL and with the exception of a "one and done" WVU transfer in, added NOTHING.  One thing about ANY defense, if it has to play 75 plays it is going to get toasted in the 2nd half.  I see a LOT of 3 and outs in our future.  I wish I could see 6-6 but Frankly I see more like 3-9 None of the QB's is as good as Montgomery, None of the RBs is as good as McCaster. None of the OL is better than the replacements with a push at center.  DL should be better, LBs a push and DB much better, but OH BOY that offense looks offensive.

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2019, 03:42:43 PM »
Anything less than 7-5 with this schedule and someone needs to go.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2019, 04:01:58 PM »
Go guins,

I was hoping Waid would catch fire (much like Hunter Wells in his Freshman year) and lead us to promise land. Since he has not been getting the reps with the first team, I now place my hope with Craycraft. 

Offline YSU1

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2019, 08:39:53 PM »
hopefully they will run and pass for the same amount of yards,  you win with balance.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 13, 2019, 09:11:26 AM »
Go guins,

I was hoping Waid would catch fire (much like Hunter Wells in his Freshman year) and lead us to promise land. Since he has not been getting the reps with the first team, I now place my hope with Craycraft.
Waid is feeling a lot like a redshirt.  Look at his HS stats and his complete lack of recruiting.  Not sure what talent evaluators don't like, but the DON'T LIKE SOMETHING about Mark Waid, and apparently Bo has questions too.
Mays will take care of Mays.  He'll crash into a LB diving for an extra yard on a 2nd and 6 and be out for at least a couple weeks.  Question is will, Craycraft seize the opportunity and will they skip the RS year for Waid and make him Joe's backup?  With our O and our OL, frankly I see the #3 QB getting at least 2 starts, so the opportunity is there for the taking IF someone is up to the task. 

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 13, 2019, 09:20:35 AM »
hopefully they will run and pass for the same amount of yards,  you win with balance.
That used to be true, but not anymore.  For instance, last year Ohio State rushed for 2679 passed for 5100
College football is spread them out and throw it around, run to keep the D somewhat honest.  Besides you have a very marginal TB in Turner.  Remember Turner was our 4th leading rusher with 183 yards the whole SEASON.  We have a suspect OL and a suspect QB handing to a suspect TB and we are hoping for what?  1300 yards and a 9-3 season?  Yeah, right.  I think the 9 and the 3 are the right numbers, question is in what order?

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 13, 2019, 09:56:24 AM »
Bo obviously likes Mays and he says that he's comfortable with all 3 starting but you know the old saying....