Author Topic: Camp Thread  (Read 27218 times)

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Camp Thread - scrimmage
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2019, 12:41:40 PM »
As reported on the YSU website:

The Youngstown State football team held a 100-play scrimmage on Saturday morning at Stambaugh Stadium. The Penguins offense scored a pair of touchdowns and made four field goals during the workout.

Senior quarterback Nathan Mays guided the offense to two touchdowns and a field goal in his three drives. Mays drove the offense to the 25-yard line on the first series of the scrimmage before the Penguins had to settle for a field goal. Colten McFadden came on to attempt a 42-yarder, but pushed it wide right.

On the second series, Mays took the offense on a 10-play, 75-yard match for the first touchdown of the scrimmage. On a 2nd-and-11 play, Mays found tight end Kyle Gregg on a 38-yard toss that put the offense at the eight-yard line. On third-and-goal from three, London Pearson scored on a run up the middle.

Sophomore QB Joe Craycraft came on to lead the offense on the next two series. The first drive stalled after eight plays and 40 yards. On the second drive, the Guins moved to the 13-yard line as McFadden came on to kick a 30-yard field goal.

Mays's third drive of the game produced the offensive unit's second touchdown. He moved the offense 75 yards in 11 plays and capped off the drive by hitting Braxton Chapman on a 26-yard wheel route for a touchdown.

Freshman QB Mark Waid and Craycraft led the offense to field goals on the next three drives. Waid hit Pearson on a 19-yard pass and Chapman had a 33-yard run. McFadden concluded the drive with a 31-yard field goal. Craycraft teamed up with Jake Cummings on passes of 13 and 36 yards on the next series. The drive stalled at the nine-yard line and McFadden came on to kick a 25-yard field goal.

Waid drove the offense into field goal range once again on the next drive. McFadden came on to boot a 40-yard kick for his fourth made field goal in five tries during the scrimmage.

For the scrimmage, Turner carried the ball 12 times for 32 yards while Chapman had six carries for 65 yards. Pearson finished with 12 carries for 28 yards while Mays had 40 yards on six carries. Mays completed 10-of-11 passes for 126 yards and a touchdown while Craycraft was 6-of-12 for 103 yards and Waid was 4-of-8 for 43 yards.

The Penguins open the 2019 season three weeks from today on August 24 against Samford

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Camp Thread
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2019, 02:53:47 PM »
Chapman looked good. QB's looked shaky throwing, especially deep.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2019, 05:04:00 PM »
I saw some of it. Did not seem like 100-plays though. Maybe I left too early. A few surprises this early.

Mays was sharp after the first couple of throws. He did not throws INT's, but his passes could have been more crisp at first, but from his third pass on was nice.

Craycraft much improved this year. Although I am disappointed that neither Craycraft or Waid could get it in the end-zone.

We had 2 TE's on a few plays, it was nice to see. Chief your choice of TE's spot on.

Oline standing up and pulling, but this is not real opposition so I cannot say.

McFadden missed a 40-yard FG, but hit another 40-yard with some power.

I was talking with a couple of guys and Reed graduates prior to the end of the season, so that is why he was given 2 more years, as opposed to one.

I thought we lost Pearson, but he was in. SO there are 4 TB's. He caught an over-the-should toss from Waid.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2019, 12:19:01 AM »
Can I opine?

So after watching football for 40+ years here is what I have to say (and I haven't seen a single play this year) with Bo or Carl focusing on the defense we should be OK.  If Bo runs our QB we are screwed as usual.  We wreck the QB's running the ball.  The stats on the scrimmage seem to indicate that the defense will be pretty good assuming the offense has offered a decent challenge.  With the changes at OL and the Carl OC influence I would expect that the offense makes the defense look better than what it really is. 

Having Carl back is a good thing.  Bo and Carl make a "mega-person" and the team is better because of it.  I hope we can contend with the best.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2019, 08:26:30 AM »
Can I opine?

Having Carl back is a good thing.  Bo and Carl make a "mega-person" and the team is better because of it.  I hope we can contend with the best.
I agree with Carl being back being a good thing.  Almost like an alter ego for Bo, or at least a confidant and someone he has 100& trust in.  Plus it is no secret Carl can really coach.  Good grief, I could be a confidant, but wouldn't help the coaching much. (any!)  I would love to "contend with the best" but with what appears to be a huge void at QB, I just don't see it happening.  The transfers at safety and center are HUGE and the return of Reed could be HUGE (depending on how healthy he really is) so we are much better that we looked following the end of last season, but the three biggest question marks remain QB, QB and QB!
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2019, 05:47:40 PM »
Believe me ...QB is not our biggest question & the reason has little to do with the QB. I mean Carl is working with the offense? QB depth can definitely haunt us though. Line depth is non-existent. We did not recruit well for TE's either; this shows by our use of TB's in the scrimmage. We are woefully short on D Tackles. Will we be able to stop the run? I hope our abundance of OLinemen will help fill the gap. We had poor classes in snappers as well. Long and short. No depth at all. We have a a few untested TB's ...but I am less concerned here with couple of injury returns. Are Richmond and Jackson going to fill the experience gap at DE?

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2019, 12:12:52 AM »
That is ridiculous. QB is the biggest question mark BY FAR on this team.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2019, 05:52:55 AM »
Vindy article today on the defensive Secondary

The YSU secondary picked off just three opposing passes season ago.

D.J. Smalls returned his lone interception for a 65-yard touchdown against South Dakota in Week No. 7 and is the only defensive returnee who recorded a pick, which doesn’t seem to bother new secondary coach D.J. Gomes because of the healthy competition created just two weeks into fall practice.

“I see a lot of improvement from the spring, so I am happy about that,” said Gomes after Tuesday’s practice at Stambaugh Stadium. “We gained guys like Zaire Jones, who’s been an excellent leader on top of the leaders we already have in Kyle Hegedus and D.J. Smalls.”

Last season as an assistant at Bowling Green State, Gomes’ defensive backs combined to break up 20 passes. He’s pleased with the competition currently taking place in camp.

“We have competition at safety with Hegedus, Jones, Jaelin Madison and a couple others while at the corners, there’s Bryce Gibson, Melvin Jackson and Devanere Crenshaw,” he said. “We’re in a pass-type world now with how many receivers a team plays so we’ll have to rotate defensive backs. Hopefully, we’ll play all those guys.”

Gibson is a true junior who has started all 22 games since stepping foot on the YSU campus in time for the 2017 campaign.

He finished third on the team a year ago with 42 total tackles (31 solos, 11 assists) including two tackles for loss, a forced fumble and 12 pass break-ups.

He appreciates the depth in this year’s defensive secondary.

“We’ve installed over 10 defenses and today had a little red zone period, which was very physical,” Gibson said. “We’re ahead of schedule and working hard every day to make sure that everything comes together. We have much more depth this year, which would give us a lot of rotation options.”

Head coach Bo Pelini, now in his fifth season at the helm, likes where his defense is headed.

“I like our defense. We’re throwing a lot at them and they’re getting better,” Pelini said. “They’re learning, understanding and the competition has been really good. I think we have some depth we didn’t have a year ago and really haven’t had the past two years, so I feel good about that area.”

YSU’s offense squares off against one of the nation’s best defenses each day in practice, which only creates a healthy competition according to Pelini.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2019, 08:57:11 AM »
AGREED.  Sometimes I wonder if 1AA is watching the same sport.  He's concerned about depth at long snapper instead of QB?!?!?!  All college teams have tons of holes.  It's the nature of the beast with graduations etc.  Clemson lost THREE first round draft choices from their D-LINE!  Where are they ranked?  #1  Why?  They have a QB!  Today's football is very simple, you spread the field, you throw the ball, you hope you get a fumble or INT and win 35-28  The days of worrying about depth at DT and long snapper, and winning 12-9 is long gone. 
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline YSU1

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2019, 09:09:25 AM »
the 90's are over

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2019, 12:14:38 PM »
The days of emphasizing a tough defense and cultivating a power run game are definitely obsolete in today's college football.  On our FCS level, only North Dakota State copies what we did so well decades ago.  Too bad those stiffs can't win anything. :o

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2019, 12:18:45 PM »
I do not want to keep drilling on Mays. In the last 3 years, we were seeing the same issues on his passing game.

I don't know what passes he has completed last week. I can almost sure that they were not long passes down field to the receivers.

Last couple of years, his passes were mostly to the receivers within 10 yards of the LOS. When the D loaded up the box with LBs and safeties, he could not find receivers and started to put his head down and ran.
I do not question his ability to throw the ball. My criticism was on his inability to read the defense and find open receivers before taking off running.

If we want to make sure he could get the ball to the receivers, just keeping calling those TB sweep and WR reverse plays.

We will need good QB plays to win this year. Just look at the Browns in the last few years before Mayfield.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2019, 02:47:43 PM »
AGREED.  Sometimes I wonder if 1AA is watching the same sport.  He's concerned about depth at long snapper instead of QB?!?!?!  All college teams have tons of holes.  It's the nature of the beast with graduations etc.  Clemson lost THREE first round draft choices from their D-LINE!  Where are they ranked?  #1  Why?  They have a QB!  Today's football is very simple, you spread the field, you throw the ball, you hope you get a fumble or INT and win 35-28  The days of worrying about depth at DT and long snapper, and winning 12-9 is long gone.

Bigger than having Carl working with the offense? You can have 3 great QB's but they are not going to do squat w/o a coach. You guys act like I do not see that we have no experienced QB's out there. Of course I do, but it is not our biggest problem. My comments are more addressed to questioning if the staff knows what they are doing. Sufficient depth at QB came from not using back-ups when we had opportunity to do so. Bad mix of positioning comes from a lack of planning before recruiting. This is what worries me. The Qb is obviously one of the top-4 most important skill players depending on whether or not it is a pass-play, run-play, punt or kick.  Go Guins, just because you happen to produce more pass-plays (than run, kick or punt) is just a style of offense. You still have to be able to run the ball, defend the pass  and stop the run. If Bo wishes to change the Penguin's style of ball that much, then he better make sure he wins 15-games, or he will be receiving more of the same negative talk that he has been getting ...even during a year where we went to the final. A questionable set of QB's will create a questionable outcome over the first few games. A questionable staff will will create a questionable outcome over the season (if not more).

Penguin ball is a style of ball, don't mess with it. Ask coach Wolf if he understands that now? People think that Bo's celebrity will allow him to make these changes ... I do not think it will without some additional hardware in the Hall-of-Fame.

BTW: ET has a very good point on Mays' deep pass game.  This is Mays biggest weakness and where I am hoping to see improvement. I am not certain it is his arm-strength as much as it is his mobility ...ability to get open an let the ball go. However, if he is not "the only guy" , he will never improve. He needs to become more fluid and you cannot due this thinking that you will lose you job every weak. I mean we basically fired Wells, only to watch him come back and play some of the best ball (behind center) that we have ever had.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2019, 05:44:31 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2019, 08:37:46 PM »

Bigger than having Carl working with the offense? You can have 3 great QB's but they are not going to do squat w/o a coach. You guys act like I do not see that we have no experienced QB's out there. Of course I do, but it is not our biggest problem. My comments are more addressed to questioning if the staff knows what they are doing. Sufficient depth at QB came from not using back-ups when we had opportunity to do so. Bad mix of positioning comes from a lack of planning before recruiting. This is what worries me. The Qb is obviously one of the top-4 most important skill players depending on whether or not it is a pass-play, run-play, punt or kick.  Go Guins, just because you happen to produce more pass-plays (than run, kick or punt) is just a style of offense. You still have to be able to run the ball, defend the pass  and stop the run. If Bo wishes to change the Penguin's style of ball that much, then he better make sure he wins 15-games, or he will be receiving more of the same negative talk that he has been getting ...even during a year where we went to the final. A questionable set of QB's will create a questionable outcome over the first few games. A questionable staff will will create a questionable outcome over the season (if not more).

Penguin ball is a style of ball, don't mess with it. Ask coach Wolf if he understands that now? People think that Bo's celebrity will allow him to make these changes ... I do not think it will without some additional hardware in the Hall-of-Fame.

BTW: ET has a very good point on Mays' deep pass game.  This is Mays biggest weakness and where I am hoping to see improvement. I am not certain it is his arm-strength as much as it is his mobility ...ability to get open an let the ball go. However, if he is not "the only guy" , he will never improve. He needs to become more fluid and you cannot due this thinking that you will lose you job every weak. I mean we basically fired Wells, only to watch him come back and play some of the best ball (behind center) that we have ever had.

I didn't have the attention span to read everything you wrote.  But to me our brand of offensive football is supposed to be stifling defense with an offense that runs A-Gap power plays, DAVE, throws to the TE's, runs screens, and runs the option occasionally and exploits a great receiver downfield to keep the defense honest.  That is how I see the brand of football I think we should run.  That is why I am Penguinpower on this board.  It is a reminder of what we it should look like.  It is what NDSU looks like today.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2019, 08:09:56 AM »
From today's Vindy:

Hegedus and Hawkins

By BRIAN DZENIS

bdzenis@vindy.com

YOUNGSTOWN

There’s renewed enthusiasm for football practice from Kyle Hegedus and Kierre Hawkins.

The redshirt-senior safety and redshirt-junior tight end for Youngstown State’s football team are back at full speed this fall after both players tore their ACLs last year. Hawkins has been getting reps throughout fall practice, but after almost a year to the day of his original injury, Hegedus was cleared for full-contact practice. His first such practice came on Tuesday.

“I love being back. Being in the athletic training room for 11 and a half months with the year we had was really tough,” Hegedus said on Wednesday. “[Head athletic trainer Ethan Solger and assistant trainer Steve Lapso] made it so that it wouldn’t be hard out here. They made it hard in rehab.

“You really appreciate being out. You really appreciate being able to do normal activities when you’re hurt and out for so long, but I just love being out here and being out with the guys.”

The team’s starting safety in 2017 was plugged right back in with the first team with the first team defense.

“He’s doing well. He’s way ahead mentally and knows the defense and what’s going,” head coach Bo Pelini said. “He just needs to shake some rust off, but he has been doing well. He communicates really well and he’s been a big presence back there.”

Hawkins initially strained ligaments in his knee during last year’s fall camp, but after trying to come back and play during last year’s 4-7 campaign, Hawkins and Hegedus soon became rehab buddies.

“I got a lot of reps and I was able to run. I played [against Valparaiso] and felt good with no problems,” Hawkins said. “Then there was that second game [against Western Illinois] and I just completely tore it.”

The pair were a common sight on the sidelines during practices last year working out with team trainers. Both players credited each other with their respective recoveries.

“We did a lot of running. It was tough, but we were pushing each other everyday,” Hawkins said. “We were all going through the same thing where the season was over for us. We’re key players and we have some big goals knowing that we have each other’s back. It was great.”

From an eligibility standpoint, Hawkins can apply for a medical redshirt after the 2020 season. Hegedus can do so at the end of this season, but said he is unsure if he will apply or not. Hegedus has torn his ACL twice during his tenure at YSU.

He’s immediate concern besides the upcoming football season is pursuing his masters degree in athletic training. As part of that program, Hegedus spent time working with the training staff for the YSU women’s basketball team. During games, the safety would man the table with cups of water for players and coaches. Given head coach John Barnes’ propensity to pace between the bench and cooler, Hegedus was busy.

“I had to fill up his water. Every time he came over, I’d have to pay attention to how much he drank,” Hegedus said. “I always made sure it was filled up before he came over. He’s a character, but he’s doing really well over there and I really enjoyed watching that team play.

“They all cared about each other. When it came down to it, they only had so many girls on the active roster and they all played heavy minutes. Whether they started or not, their minutes counted,” Hegedus added. “They relied on each other and they cheered for each other. They were so encouraging to each other and that’s what I took away from that experience.”

Both players come to practice each day appreciating every whistle, clash of pads and calls for additional workouts even when practice is over.

“It changes your mind. You appreciate things on the field. Even if you mess up a play or drop a pass, you’re thankful that you’re just able to do it,” Hawkins said. “You want to do well, but it’s just a blessing that you can just walk or move around. A lot of people take that for granted and now that I’m out here, I’m just soaking it all up.”