Author Topic: QB situation  (Read 9284 times)

Offline Cimo7

• Royal Penguin
  • GO GUINS!
    • View Profile
QB situation
« on: July 25, 2019, 01:48:10 PM »
What’s the word on the QB situation or “battle”

Is it Mays’ to lose?

Will Waid see time this year? What’s it going to look like going forward?  Assume Waid is QB of the future.
Thoughts?

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: QB situation
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2019, 10:30:31 PM »
Craycraft and Mays will battle for the starting job. If they both falter badly, look for Waid to get a shot.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2019, 08:43:54 AM »
Craycraft and Mays will battle for the starting job. If they both falter badly, look for Waid to get a shot.
So what you are saying is Waid by game 3 or game 4?
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2019, 01:45:26 PM »
It would be unfair if we placed unreasonable expectations on Waid early in his career.  Tom Zetts was our last local starting quarterback.  He played in the still intact and tough Steel Valley conference.  He also, I think, played against Cleveland Ignatius.  As a star against that type of competition, we had a very good feeling about his chances at YSU. 

I hope that Waid turns out to be fabulous, but keep in mind that he played against weak high school competition.  His period of adjustment is more difficult than that of Zetts, although having one session of spring ball under his belt is an enormous advantage.  The best scenario for Waid would be to redshirt.  Of course if he is already clearly superior to Mays and Craycraft, he cannot be denied his opportunity this season.

Offline Joe Bernastat

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2019, 06:27:57 PM »
If Mark Waid plays this year, we are in serious trouble,,,no disrespect intended,,,as Wick250 said, its a whole different ballgame,,,I hope fans aren’t unrealistic as to his capabilities.
Joe Cool

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2019, 07:39:58 PM »
Wells had s decent career and got us into the finals.  He played in a lower division in HS.  It’s too bad He didn’t get to red shirt his first year.
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2019, 10:17:29 PM »
If Mays starts this year, we will be in trouble. He will not be able to take us to the promised land.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2019, 08:42:48 AM »
If Mays starts this year, we will be in trouble. He will not be able to take us to the promised land.

Mays is certainly capable. The issue is that the offense is no longer geared toward him. Our offense is now mostly installed at James Madison. Our run game is no where that I can see and it's Mays, not Manning.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2019, 09:08:08 AM »

Mays is certainly capable. The issue is that the offense is no longer geared toward him. Our offense is now mostly installed at James Madison. Our run game is no where that I can see and it's Mays, not Manning.

What has shown you that Mays is capable of throwing the ball well enough to lead the offense?

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2019, 09:14:19 AM »

IMO, Mays is not capable in throwing the ball to the receivers consistently.

He just could not pick out the receivers. Unless we have the receivers dressed in different color uniforms (other than those of our team, opposing team and the refs), he won't find them.

Offline YSU1

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2019, 06:53:24 PM »
Last year was a huge mistake.  Losing with a senior quarterback.  You needed to develop the younger kids.  They were 4-7.

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2019, 07:49:46 PM »
As the quarterback goes so goes the team.  The staff hasnt proven that they can improve  the talent year over year. I hope they surprise us.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2019, 11:18:13 AM »
That is not a fair question Chief. The strength in a Mays-led offense is not in his arm, but rather his feet. I liked the way Monty used Nate to change the pattern of the offense. He does have a good head for the offense, but again that offense is gone. We try to run things similar, but it is not the same without Montgomery calling the plays and changing tempo. That is why my focus for summer is exclusively on Oline and TB's. The d is going to do the same thing that it always does ...look great statistically, but play too tight and give up big plays for points ...keeping our opponents in the game. Then everyone complains because the defensive-minded HC and DC's last name is Pelini so nothing be "their fault" and we do not have a big-arm QB and look to win games on offense ...by design. We are I-AA, not OSU or the NFL ...Bo has always expected too much from his players; which shows his inability to recruit at our level. (this goes to what "GoodNews" is saying). This then spreads to the other coaches, impacting their ability to recruit.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2019, 11:34:33 AM by IAA Fan »

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2019, 09:49:01 AM »
That is not a fair question Chief. The strength in a Mays-led offense is not in his arm, but rather his feet. I liked the way Monty used Nate to change the pattern of the offense.
Which is to say, in "1AA speak" NO MAYS CAN'T throw consistently.  We have seen now year after year, he takes off and runs, gets hit, gets hurt, and we need a sub.  Today's football is spread the formation, throw the ball, score 35 points and hope you get an INT to hold the opponent to 28.  You can't go into a season with a journeyman backup RB who couldn't get constant carries for any of his 3 seasons as your RB and a QB that runs first until he gets hurt. 
Time to move on.  Frankly if this team goes 6-6 I'd be ecstatic.  Time to more on the Braxton Chapman and Mark Waid and look forward. 
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2019, 12:23:22 PM »
That is not a fair question Chief. The strength in a Mays-led offense is not in his arm, but rather his feet. I liked the way Monty used Nate to change the pattern of the offense.
Which is to say, in "1AA speak" NO MAYS CAN'T throw consistently.  We have seen now year after year, he takes off and runs, gets hit, gets hurt, and we need a sub.  Today's football is spread the formation, throw the ball, score 35 points and hope you get an INT to hold the opponent to 28.  You can't go into a season with a journeyman backup RB who couldn't get constant carries for any of his 3 seasons as your RB and a QB that runs first until he gets hurt. 
Time to move on.  Frankly if this team goes 6-6 I'd be ecstatic.  Time to more on the Braxton Chapman and Mark Waid and look forward.

No I did not say that. I said that in his style he can throw consistently. We would need to change the way we use him. I bet you he can do well in a pro-set  ...very well indeed. Not going to happen in a Bo Pelini coached team though. Nate is not a major deep-threat though. The football you describe is boring as heck and teams like JMU, EWU and NDSU do not play it. These are the best teams in the nation and what I hope we will get back to.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 12:25:47 PM by IAA Fan »