Author Topic: Article on D. Rivers from the Tribune  (Read 2405 times)

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Article on D. Rivers from the Tribune
« on: July 01, 2019, 08:18:58 AM »
Former YSU star works for Pats’ role

LOCAL SPORTS
JUN 30, 2019

JOE SIMON
Sports Reporter
jsimon@tribtoday.com

YOUNGSTOWN — Derek Rivers has learned a lot since joining the New England Patriots in 2017, but there’s a secret he has finally decided to share.

The information is as covert as Deflategate, SpBy JOE SIMON

Tribune Chronicle

YOUNGSTOWN — Derek Rivers has learned a lot since joining the New England Patriots in 2017, but there’s a secret he has finally decided to share.

The information is as covert as Deflategate, Spygate or the hidden defensive algorithm Bill Bellichick may or may not have created in a laboratory in his basement, but Rivers, a former star defensive end for Youngstown State, swears this is the truth.

“(Bellichick) laughs every now and again,” Rivers deadpanned. “He’s not just a straight-face. He’s a good dude. You’d be surprised how many people ask that question. He smiles.”

Guess we’ll have to take his word for it.

Rivers would know. The 6-foot-5, 250-pound defensive end is now in his third year with New England. He’s not exactly a grizzled veteran at the age of 25, but he has conversations with Tom Brady, Julian Edelman and recently retired Rob Gronkowski, aka Gronk. He gets Bellichick, as a person, and more importantly, he seems to fit right in with all of them.

He credits faith as reason for his ability to blend in with the Super Bowl champions.

“We’ve got a locker room full of believers, full of believers in Christ,” Rivers said. “Everyone’s all brothers striving for one goal, playing for the glory of God and for family. We have a great locker room. We all hang out outside the locker room. We don’t just see each other at work. It’s pretty cool.”

Rivers was back in Youngstown on Saturday to take part in GC-360, an event held at Youngstown State University and put on by Game Changers — a leadership and character development program founded by Warren G. Harding graduate Michael Engram.

Rivers touched on a number of topics at the event, from missing the entire 2107 season after tearing his ACL to winning a Super Bowl ring, among other things. He didn’t go into detail about what his expectations are after a slow start to his career, but things could pick up in the near future.

Bellichick spoke highly of him last year when Rivers was mostly a scout team player, stuck behind one of the deeper positions on the Patriots. However, in March, standout pass rusher Trey Flowers left New England for the Detroit Lions via free agency. That opens the proverbial door for Rivers, who has two tackles and one sack in his young career.

Not one to set expectations or make guarantees, the ever-humble Rivers just wants to help.

“Just doing whatever they want me to do,” said Rivers when asked what he hopes to accomplish in 2019. “I’m just trying to be better than what I was last year. Nothing in specific. Just playing and doing the best that I can to help the team win.”

Rivers is finally healthy enough to do that.

YSU’s all-time sack leader (41, which is fifth all time in FCS history) had not endured a major injury since high school, but that changed in training camp during his rookie campaign when he tore his ACL in a joint practice. While disappointed, he wasn’t deterred. In fact, Rivers said his leg is “way stronger” now than before the injury, even calling it “a blessing.”

“You learn things about your body that you never have,” he said. “You incorporate new things into your workouts that you learn through rehab. It’s a time to kind of reflect and relax. It’s a blessing. You really see the growth out of trial because, praise God, my legs, from a physical standpoint, are way stronger than what they were before my injury.”

He’s a different person nowadays — in more ways than one.

Rivers and his wife, Lauren, were married in 2017. They just recently had their first child, a boy. Rivers said he visits Youngstown whenever he gets the chance, and despite some renovations to Stambaugh Stadium, where the GC-360 event was held, the area “always feels just like when I left. There’s always a sense of family.”

He notices a similar feeling in New England with Bellichick and the boys, but it all started in Youngstown.

“(YSU coach) Bo (Pelini) taught us about accountability and some different things, and you take something from every coach you have,” Rivers said. “… A lot of the things that Bill does, you can see where Bo gets it.

“Bill is awesome — so smart, so knowledgeable, always wants to get guys better. Everything that he says is to make guys better. I love playing for him. He’s one of my absolute favorite coaches I’ve ever played for.”

Maybe they’ll even share a laugh together.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Article on D. Rivers from the Tribune
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2019, 09:31:35 AM »
I hate to correct the only paper left in the valley, but it's Belichick.  I read this in the paper over the weekend and couldn't help but be distracted by the spelling.
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!