Author Topic: Baseball to Face Milwaukee Wednesday in Horizon League Tournament  (Read 9310 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
The sixth-seeded Youngstown State baseball team will begin play in the 2019 Horizon League Baseball Championship against third-seeded Milwaukee on Wednesday at 4 p.m. The tournament is being hosted at Wright State's Nischwitz Stadium after the Raiders secured the top seed in the field. All games of the tournament will be streamed live on ESPN+, and live stats will also be available through links on HorizonLeague.com.

Wednesday's opening-round games will be single elimination, and the tournament will shift to a double-elimination format on Thursday once it is narrowed to four teams. If the Penguins win, they will play top-seeded Wright State in the winners bracket on Thursday at 11 a.m.

Fourth-seeded Northern Kentucky and fifth-seeded Oakland will open the tournament on Wednesday at noon.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Baseball to Face Milwaukee Wednesday in Horizon League Tournament
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2019, 01:20:16 PM »
Go Guins! 
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline OleYSUfan

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2019, 06:34:41 PM »
YSU baseball has no pitching, so don't expect them to go very far.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2019, 10:54:44 PM »
I accessed ESPN+ briefly in the first inning.  Long enough to see that we were sending to the mound to start the tournament a pitcher who had an ERA of 10.72.  This is not a typographical error: 10.72.  OleFan's label of "no pitching" is actually being kind.  Either fix this mess or stop pouring funds into this black hole.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2019, 10:30:37 AM »
I accessed ESPN+ briefly in the first inning.  Long enough to see that we were sending to the mound to start the tournament a pitcher who had an ERA of 10.72.  This is not a typographical error: 10.72.  OleFan's label of "no pitching" is actually being kind.  Either fix this mess or stop pouring funds into this black hole.
While they were only 7-20 in the league and you could hardly call that as an overwhelming success, I don't see it as a "mess" and what the hell does "pouring funds into this black hole mean"?  If you don't win most of your games you should discontinue the program?  Who the hell would you play?  Sports is a sum zero game.  All the wins total exactly the same as the total of all the loses.  Sometimes it takes time.  Sometimes you don't every get really good, but I ate dinner next to a player after a game a couple weeks ago.  He was a very intelligent young man, very polite, very much interested in his education.  I for one, don't see him as a "black hole" or a waste money.  I for one, am proud of the overwhelming majority of athletes that compete for YSU.  I don't see any of the programs as a "mess" or as a "black hole". 
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2019, 12:10:44 PM »
Baseball is a loser and always will be a loser as long as there isn't a stadium on campus. Players having to drive to Eastwood in their own cars just to practice. Tough when some kids don't even have cars on campus to drive. Feel bad for the kids but I don't success any time soon.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2019, 12:30:36 PM »
Baseball is a loser and always will be a loser as long as there isn't a stadium on campus. Players having to drive to Eastwood in their own cars just to practice. Tough when some kids don't even have cars on campus to drive. Feel bad for the kids but I don't success any time soon.
I thought coaches could requested vehicles from campus vehicle pool to transport student players who didn't have personal vehicles to practices/games.

Is this really an important issues? We made it to NCAA tournaments before Eastwood field (playing off campus).

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2019, 01:31:01 PM »
I thought coaches could requested vehicles from campus vehicle pool to transport student players who didn't have personal vehicles to practices/games.

Is this really an important issues? We made it to NCAA tournaments before Eastwood field (playing off campus).

Considering this program hasn't had a winning season since 2005, I'd say so.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2019, 05:02:10 PM »
Say Chief. Isn't there land, for a baseball park, marked off as part of that Cafaro donation? I think it is going to be beside the new intramural complex. It is before you get to Elm. I need to see if they have that on-line as part of "We See Tomorrow".

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2019, 10:05:33 PM »
Say Chief. Isn't there land, for a baseball park, marked off as part of that Cafaro donation? I think it is going to be beside the new intramural complex. It is before you get to Elm. I need to see if they have that on-line as part of "We See Tomorrow".

I have not heard that.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2019, 12:03:00 PM »
There were never any plans for an on-campus baseball park.  If you access Google Maps, you can see that the new intramural field will just fit into a tight space between Elm and Bryson.  Also note that there is no longer any land between Fifth and Belmont large enough for baseball (once the tennis center goes up.)  You would have to eliminate parking to free up enough space, and that is the ultimate campus taboo.

You could build a small baseball park at Harrison Field in the Hollow, if you closed Harrison street and acquired two additional blocks of dilapidated housing.  But there has never been any such plans.

Offline Penquin68

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2019, 01:11:01 PM »
The Harrison Field area is a location that could work for a baseball field. Money is always the issue and a big downer would be needed.  YSU would like to have their facilities in view of those who would drive past the University and the Harrison area would not do that. Other possibilities would require land acquisition which can be a problem.  Places that could work would be north of the free way or west of Belmont across from the new Tennis facility.  Major issues with each choice.  I think that if YSU could connect to Mercy Health or Wick Park it would improve the campus and the entire area.  It would take major backing of the city and others, but it could happen with some good vision for the future of that area in particular and the city in general.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2019, 02:17:14 PM »
Harrison Field was talked about at one point but you would have to buy out the people living there in those couple of homes, close down and get rid of that side street and then hopefully have enough room to build.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2019, 03:31:59 PM by ytownchief22 »

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2019, 10:18:23 AM »
Personally, I still like Eastwood. It ties YSU to Trumbull County and also is an affiliation with the Tribe. I guarantee you that OSU and Penn St. are not going to play at YSU; just as WVU will play at the Chevy Center, but not at Beeghly. Even though Beeghly may be larger in terms of capacity. It is the nicest baseball facility in the conference and the Horizon always uses it when they need a host. Just as they use YSU for Track & Field. Although with the loss of 3 Horizon League baseball teams ...not so much.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2019, 06:27:07 PM »
Baseball field needs to be on campus.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne