Author Topic: Men's basketball recruiting ?  (Read 42030 times)

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Men's basketball recruiting ?
« on: April 17, 2019, 06:38:43 PM »
With 4 players transferring I thought we would have noise as of today.   Last year we signed 4 on spring signing day.  Anyone hear anything ?

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Men's basketball recruiting ?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2019, 09:39:46 AM »
According to Verbal Commits:

Recent Activity
None
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline chezmustache

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2019, 01:20:12 PM »
     No activity?  What can we distill from that? 

(1) The coach is recruiting candidates who are off the grid.  Chances for success in that environment are not good. 
(2) The coach is exploring DI transfers. 
(3) The coach is considering offering scholarships to incumbent walk-ons.

Near term help is not on the way in any of those scenarios or combinations of scenarios.

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2019, 02:49:24 PM »
NLI last day Is May 15th so maybe players and coaches are working out their options.   Coach C has four openings and there are five offers(one juco) that verbal.com reports.   Of those five none have committed yet.

Analyzing the other programs in the Horizon you will see that everyone or most everyone has openings too.   CSU and Oakland signed a player each two days ago.      Worst case scenario is we get no one and go with eight returning plus Jamir Thomas and scholarship a few walkons and load up for 2020.   Don't see this option happening since injuries can really decimate a season as we slugged it out when missing Naz and Covington last season.

Coach C might have been born at night but he wasn't born last night.   I think he'll have this worked out despite my impatience.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2019, 03:51:21 PM »
Patience. A couple visitors have been to and or are coming to campus.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2019, 01:54:56 PM »
Anyone have any scoop on any potential players ready to sign .  Seems odd we haven't gotten one this signing period.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2019, 06:57:18 PM »
Christian Bentley, a 6-3 guard from Iowa Western CC has committed.

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2019, 07:53:51 PM »
Bentley averaged 12 pts a game and led Iowa Western in assists.  Played one year prior at Sienna.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2019, 09:09:53 AM »
video looks fine, but he doesn't look anywhere close to 6'3"  More like 5-9 or 5-10 at best, and we could use a 6-3 guard.

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2019, 06:42:08 PM »
Next Monday the 15th is the end of the spring signing period so there should be some movement.  I noticed players that YSU offered have committed elsewhere but that will happen most of the time and every team in the conference gets the same type of knocks.  The trouble with recruiting in 2019 is that you get excited for the new players and then they're in the transfer portal because they didn't get the playing time after one season.

The word EARN has become a four letter word in today's college sports.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2019, 08:28:59 AM »
Next Monday the 15th is the end of the spring signing period so there should be some movement.  I noticed players that YSU offered have committed elsewhere but that will happen most of the time and every team in the conference gets the same type of knocks.  The trouble with recruiting in 2019 is that you get excited for the new players and then they're in the transfer portal because they didn't get the playing time after one season.

The word EARN has become a four letter word in today's college sports.
Truer words couldn't be spoken on the subject.  You are right on the money.

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2019, 07:13:36 PM »
https://www.ysusports.com/sports/mbkb/2018-19/releases/christian-bentley-release

Tomorrow is the signing day and the YSU official web site posted the article above .  Do we read into it that we're done although there are three openings ?  There are a couple of names on verbalcommit.com that we are in on that have not committed but I'm not feeling confident.   Hope i'm wrong !

I noticed that Wright State signed two today and with the exception Of Detroit and N Kentucky everyone else is full.   Detroit as of tonight has six openings.  They are also the only D1 university that is ineligible for the post season since their APR is below the standard.
NKU just had a coaching change late which puts them in a scramble situation . They have four spots to fill as of tonight.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 07:14:37 PM by ucfpengbuck »

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2019, 03:53:01 PM »
Good news! 2 transfers today:

Kyle Scadlock, a 6-6 forward from D3 Williams College has committed. From Twinsburg area and played high school ball at University School.

Tyler Foster, a 6-5 guard from East Carolina is also coming in. He has to sit a year. Once was a Georgetown commit.

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2019, 05:40:23 PM »
Trying to process  the two new members.

Would Tyler Scadlock be a walkon ? he averaged 13.7 pts a game playing D3 .

Foster averaged 4 pts a game at ECU.  Was rated a 3 star coming out of HS .

To answer my own question on Scadlock.  He was listed as a senior on Williams college roster so I'm thinking he's a graduate transfer.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 07:56:06 PM by ucfpengbuck »

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2019, 07:52:23 PM »
https://247sports.com/college/east-carolina/Board/59438/Contents/ECU-transfer-Tyler-Foster-commits-132083651/

Interesting takes on Foster from the ECU board.  Consensus  appears that the posters like Foster's potential.   Nice pick up Coach Calhoun.