Author Topic: Softball  (Read 2920 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Softball
« on: April 03, 2019, 12:13:01 PM »
Indianapolis, Ind. -- After leading the Penguins to a 5-0 week last week, Youngstown State junior Maddi Lusk (Johnstown, Ohio) and freshman Addy Jarvis (Vienna, Ohio) were named the Horizon League Softball Player and Pitcher of the Week, the league announced on Monday.

This is the second career weekly award for both Lusk and Jarvis

Lusk led the Penguins to a 5-0 week and extended their winning streak to nine games. Last week, Lusk batted .471 going to 8-for-17 with four runs, a double, three home runs and five runs batted in. She also had a 1.059 slugging percentage. She had three multi-hit games as well. Lusk went 2-for-3 with a double in a 1-0 win over St. Bonaventure and followed with a 2-for-3 performance that included a three-run home run in a 4-2 win over the Bonnies. Against IUPUI, Lusk went 3-for-4 with two home runs and two RBIs to lead the Penguins to a 6-3 win. Lusk also picked up a save against St. Bonaventure tossing three scoreless innings with four strikeouts.

Jarvis went 3-0 last week with three complete games and a 1.33 earned-run average and 30 strikeouts in 21 innings pitched. She fired a one-hitter with 11 strikeouts in a 1-0 win over Akron on March 26. Jarvis had 10 strikeouts in a three-hit shutout over St. Bonaventure on March 27. She also struck out nine in a complete-game win over IUPUI on March 29. She allowed just two walks and limited her opponents to a .125 batting average.

The Penguins visit Niagara for a doubleheader, Wednesday, April 3, at 3 p.m.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 02:17:40 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Softball
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2019, 02:16:55 PM »
Well big changes now with 9 wins in-a-row. I think we just swept Niagara which I think had beaten us earlier in a tournament. I do acknowledge that the quality of our opposition has decreased from earlier, but you have really respect this turn-around.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Softball
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2019, 04:01:43 PM »
Actually, it is now 11 wins in a row, a new school record.  I had the chance to watch Jarvis pitch in person last week.  With normal improvement, this freshman is going to evolve into something really special.  The bats have also emerged from hibernation.  No reason that we cannot finish second in the conference, right behind UIC who is just better than everybody else in the Horizon League by a large margin.