Author Topic: East Stands  (Read 37589 times)

Offline Karl Hungus

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
East Stands
« on: March 21, 2019, 09:43:43 AM »
Does anyone know if the East Stands  will be open this year ?  Also if they will retain the handicap parking behind the stands .

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: East Stands
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2019, 10:45:35 AM »
1. I don't have the answer to your question, and I often react negatively to what I read as defeatism among our fellow posters.  That being said, on the issue of the stands being open is a "who cares?" issue at this point.  I sense -0- enthusiasm surrounding the upcoming season, and I would assume ticket sales would love to be "flat."  We have a coach that seems to treat the press and the fan base at best as a necessary evil.  Coming off a 4-7 disastrous season, you'd think Bo would at least try to be accommodating and develop some support, but not this guy.  When asked about a spring game, he says: "we'll do something."  WTF is "something"?  OSU draws 10's of thousands of fans, encourages fans to take photos with the players, does special uniforms etc. Makes an event out of the spring game and Bo says, "we'll do something".    Sometimes I wonder.............

The handicap parking is obviously a totally different question, but I would only assume the university would be VERY sensitive to access concerns. 
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2019, 11:48:32 AM »
According to the Vindy from December:
The Don Constantini Multimedia Center project above the east side stands of Stambaugh Stadium is in progress, costing $3 million. It is expected to be completed in July 2019
in May 2018 WKBN says:
Construction will start soon and is expected to be done by August 2019.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2019, 11:51:30 AM »
Everything is on schedule and will be done by football season.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2019, 12:01:02 PM »
Giving us another couple thousand additional empty seats?  Great. 
With diminishing interest, I assume we have diminished interest in TV coverage this fall, which was the catalyst to start this project in the first place?  Now, instead the slum broadcast booth that reminded me of a hunting blind from a swamp at Mosquito Lake sitting empty on fall Saturday afternoons, we'll have classy new state of the art broadcast facility.............sitting empty on fall Saturday afternoons!

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2019, 12:08:07 PM »
With diminishing interest, I assume we have diminished interest in TV coverage this fall, which was the catalyst to start this project in the first place?  Now, instead the slum broadcast booth that reminded me of a hunting blind from a swamp at Mosquito Lake sitting empty on fall Saturday afternoons, we'll have classy new state of the art broadcast facility.............sitting empty on fall Saturday afternoons!

They're moving TV, radio for home and away teams all over there. Hardly going to be empty. Will look nice when completed.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2019, 12:22:23 PM »

They're moving TV, radio for home and away teams all over there. Hardly going to be empty. Will look nice when completed.
So you are confirming we are going to have TV coverage?  Great!   I don't doubt it will "look great" but I'm more interested in it "working great" by being used for TV as was the original intended.  I don't see, hear, or read ANYTHING about any TV coverage.  I do appreciate WKBN broadcasting the game on radio, but I don't think we spent 3 million dollars to make them look directly into the sun when broadcasting did we?

The couple thousand additional empty seats will be fan seating, and they will not all be empty, but they will definitely be fans that would easily with on the west side as was the case last year.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2019, 01:34:31 PM »
I think that Chief is on here. There are quite a few students in the broadcasting program, with a strong association with athletics. We could have a whole new group of students in attendance. Even if we only picked up a couple of hundred, it could be another way to get student participation numbers up.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2019, 01:51:20 PM »
I think that Chief is on here. There are quite a few students in the broadcasting program, with a strong association with athletics. We could have a whole new group of students in attendance. Even if we only picked up a couple of hundred, it could be another way to get student participation numbers up.
So you think we are going to fill the east stands with hundreds of media broadcast students that haven't been going to games previously because they were forced to sit under the Mosquito Lake hunting blinds, but will now come to games because they are sitting in the shadow of a brand new state of the art broadcast facility? 
I'll let this go with, "I think you are pretty naive on this point".
I'd bet winning football will probably do more to fill the stands the an attachment to the broadcast facility, especially if the new facility is empty because we don't have a TV deal!
Many, if not most MVFC teams have local TV broadcasts.  Want to grow fan interest, get the fans involved.  TV can help and YSU is really dropping the ball with this.  Even if YSU supplements the broadcasts, it will help draw fans.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2019, 07:42:19 PM »
So you think we are going to fill the east stands with hundreds of media broadcast students that haven't been going to games previously because they were forced to sit under the Mosquito Lake hunting blinds, but will now come to games because they are sitting in the shadow of a brand new state of the art broadcast facility? 
I'll let this go with, "I think you are pretty naive on this point".
I'd bet winning football will probably do more to fill the stands the an attachment to the broadcast facility, especially if the new facility is empty because we don't have a TV deal!
Many, if not most MVFC teams have local TV broadcasts.  Want to grow fan interest, get the fans involved.  TV can help and YSU is really dropping the ball with this.  Even if YSU supplements the broadcasts, it will help draw fans.

Of course, but you be equally naive to think that more the 25% of the students come here for anything more than an education and will ever attend a sporting event. The school is pockets of students, if we get one pocket, they may help us get more. That is all I am saying. All of the broadcast students would not make much of a dent.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2019, 08:04:43 PM »

Music to my ears, long time season ticket holder and have been on the East side since it opened. Obviously had to use the west side last year and my group can't wait to move back.

“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline ELPENGUIN

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2019, 11:55:57 AM »
Oh boy mister negative is at it again.  Now he is in his glory using the deer, mosquito blind over and over.
My reliable source tells me that the University will be splitting the Communication Department away from the ?Arts Department soon and will have a school dedicated to television, radio, electronic broadcasting to call our own with majors and minors. The building on the East side is for YSU Education not necessarily to fill the stands. Or did mister negative forget that? Another slick move was to centralize the press into a new state of the art broadcast facility sorely needed to free up space for more loges. I understand there is quite of backup of request for loges. (We may have to build another level on top of the two levels especially with the renovations planned/coming to the loges in the future).
"They have scalelike barbless feathers, flipperlike wings, and webbed feet and by the way also excellent athletic teams"

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2019, 01:08:34 PM »
Oh boy mister negative is at it again.  Now he is in his glory using the deer, mosquito blind over and over.
My reliable source tells me that the University will be splitting the Communication Department away from the ?Arts Department soon and will have a school dedicated to television, radio, electronic broadcasting to call our own with majors and minors. The building on the East side is for YSU Education not necessarily to fill the stands. Or did mister negative forget that? Another slick move was to centralize the press into a new state of the art broadcast facility sorely needed to free up space for more loges. I understand there is quite of backup of request for loges. (We may have to build another level on top of the two levels especially with the renovations planned/coming to the loges in the future).

All of this will be great news. I started out in the broadcasting program at YSU. Back then, you were allowed to create your own major, as long as it met the standards of a given school. I guess I watched too much "WKRP in Cincinnati" as a kid, so I created a major in broadcast management; hoping to own a radio or TV station some day. So I had 2 majors Speech, Communications & Theatre ...along with my degree major in Business Management. The broadcasting was a welcomed break from some of the academic grind and challenging in it's own ways.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2019, 12:56:00 PM »
What ELPENGUIN said is all true.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2019, 08:45:05 PM »
Anyone out there that can post a photo of what the East side looks like now?
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne