Author Topic: men's basketball vs CSU  (Read 4766 times)

Online ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
men's basketball vs CSU
« on: March 02, 2019, 08:16:06 PM »
They let a wounded dog hang around on a game we should of one .  Really missed Garrett Covington tonight .
Too many easy inside lay ins for the CSU big men.  I thought Salley could of helped on that but coach thought otherwise.    Great game by Q and his play this season has been phenomenal .  I put him ahead of Kendrick Perry when KP was a frosh .  Thought I heard louder noise at a funeral than I heard at Beeghly tonight.   Where are the students ?

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: men's basketball vs CSU
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2019, 09:05:41 PM »
Disastrous

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2019, 09:12:40 PM »
Not the finish we were all hoping for. 3 losses in a row at tournament time concerning.   Our program has a way to go. Need big men bad or same win total each year.  Should be better next year but that all depends on our inside game. Which is non existant

Offline Penquin68

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2019, 09:58:34 AM »
Difficult loss.  Really missed Covington.  Our inside defense again is the thing that cost us.  Too many easy baskets inside compared to our hard fought points.  I really think John Sally is our only hope for inside defense. Didn't play tonight so I guess the coach thinks otherwise. Oakland will be interesting if Covington isn't ready to play and we don't play Sally significant minutes.

On the other hand Q is really a player.  He is the go to guy who can make the shots in difficult situations. Not sure why at the end of regulation out of the time out he never touched the ball. As I recall he was open on the inbounds play, but then with Morgan with the ball on the inbounds couldn't get the ball to Q. Maybe they wanted to kill some time and not allow CS to have time after a foul or points so the ball went to Morgan.  I think only 13 seconds left at the timeout.  Too bad.

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2019, 11:34:12 PM »
Strange game.  Pretty much echo everything that was said.  We had an opportunity in the first half to get out to a big lead and didn't do it.  It felt like the game wasn't as close as it was the way we were playing.  Really the steal & missed dunk by Quisenberry seemed to turn the tide the other way. 

Other than Quisenberry and Noe it seemed like everyone else was kind of going through the motions.  There's no excuse to lose a game like that & get swept by CSU.  I really wanted to see us close strong splitting the NKU/Wright St road trip & winning at home, but instead end the regular season on a 3 game losing streak- not how you want to enter the tournament.       

Thought it was odd too that Sally didn't play at all.  Noticed Atiba Taylor didn't dress either.  I'd still like to know what Hampton's deal is too.  He really impressed me during non-conference play and was our best 3 point shooter, but has has either not dressed, not played or only played a few mins for most of conference play.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2019, 08:58:33 AM »
The continuing complete breakdowns allowing uncontested layups by the D is very disconcerting. 

Obviously Q is our best player and our best new player...........maybe ever.  But to loose a game in OT when you have a 5'-9" or 10" guard trying to dunk on a breakaway and bouncing it off the rim instead is hard to take. 
This team is beginning to look like the LeBron Cavs.  Run down court, find a comfortable place to stand and wait for Darius to make something happen.  If you don't play offence, by "goodness" somebody should have the energy to cut off the layups on the D end!  Early it looked like the one of the Akron AAU teams some of the guys play on in the off-season.  Not sure which is worse?
On a brighter side, you brother took us down to Vintage Estate Tap Room after the game to commiserate and I found the experience completely satisfying.  Service GREAT, assortment beyond description, prices quite reasonable.  They are going to get some of my "after football" business too! 
Barely made it to the game, but missed the Penguin Club pregame.  Any word on a spring game?
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2019, 02:00:01 PM »
I was at the pregame. Fun, but not the same as a pregame. I enjoyed the player involvement, but they need to keep everyone late for photos. No real mention of a spring game, but Bo said he will be doing something. I suspect it will be like last year. 1's vs 2' with a QB rotation.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2019, 08:51:02 AM »
I was at the pregame. Fun, but not the same as a pregame. I enjoyed the player involvement, but they need to keep everyone late for photos. No real mention of a spring game, but Bo said he will be doing something. I suspect it will be like last year. 1's vs 2' with a QB rotation.
Thanks for the update.  Bo knows the spring game is pretty meaningless, but for football starved fans it's something, and he ought to realize he was 4-7 throw us a damn bone once in a while! 

Anybody been to practice?  And if yes, what's up at QB? 
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!