Author Topic: What a Surprise! Two more championships!  (Read 9908 times)

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
What a Surprise! Two more championships!
« on: February 24, 2019, 07:15:14 PM »
 Winning never gets old.  Congratulations to both the men and women track teams for yet another dominating performance. :)

On a related note, Chad Zallow (three time winner today, of course) in today's Vindicator expressed interest in playing football next fall.  I don't know if he is serious or just having some fun with the media.  I do know that if that kid can actually catch a football, no defensive back in FCS could run with him for sixty yards down the field!

Online guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: What a Surprise! Two more championships!
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2019, 07:32:00 PM »
Congrats, that is awesome
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline Kandrase

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2019, 08:37:53 PM »
Winning never gets old.  Congratulations to both the men and women track teams for yet another dominating performance. :)

On a related note, Chad Zallow (three time winner today, of course) in today's Vindicator expressed interest in playing football next fall.  I don't know if he is serious or just having some fun with the media.  I do know that if that kid can actually catch a football, no defensive back in FCS could run with him for sixty yards down the field!

He was a pretty good  football player for JFK, pretty sure he’s out of eligibility though.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2019, 10:03:45 PM »
No, he would be eligible.  If you play one sport for four years (without a redshirt) you can play a second sport for one more season.  About 15 years ago, we actually had a football player turn to basketball for his fifth season.  Don't remember the name.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2019, 07:13:41 AM »
No, he would be eligible.  If you play one sport for four years (without a redshirt) you can play a second sport for one more season.  About 15 years ago, we actually had a football player turn to basketball for his fifth season.  Don't remember the name.

I remember watching Nick Crockcan (qb) played basketball after football. But that was way before 15 years ago. I don't think he was whom you had in mind. Plus, I probably screwed up the spelling of his last name.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2019, 09:11:41 AM »

I do know that if that kid can actually catch a football, no defensive back in FCS could run with him for sixty yards down the field!
Two true statements there.  Aren't may DB's at ANY level (including NFL) can run with Zallow for 60 yards!
Great job in track, we'll just have to wait and see about FB!
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2019, 02:16:56 PM »
I am not sure that Chad is out of the Olympic hunt as of yet. His times are a bit short, but he has defeated Olympic qualifiers. Perhaps he excels against his competition. In that case, any other sport is out of the question.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2019, 02:36:58 PM »
I am not sure that Chad is out of the Olympic hunt as of yet. His times are a bit short, but he has defeated Olympic qualifiers. Perhaps he excels against his competition. In that case, any other sport is out of the question.
Nothing measures up to the Olympics

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2019, 04:57:34 PM »
Chad has to be the best YSU track guy ever in accomplishing his goal in national competitions. However, I still have reservations about him making to the Olympics. His best times are in 60 meter and 60 meter hurdles. His times are not as competitive as in the 110 meter Hurdles and are definitely not in the 100 meters. IMO, his height could be his limiting factor in the 110 meter Hurdles.

He could turn pro to run on 60 m/60 m hurdles competitions after YSU. But I am not too optimistic that he could make a run for the Olympic 110 Hurdles.

Unfortunately, not too many Olympic world class track guys made in the NFL. Bobby Hayes (100 m)and Renaldo Nehemiah (110 Hurdles) are the only two instantly came to my mind.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2019, 06:35:38 PM »
Brian Gorby is one hell of a coach.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2019, 08:36:45 AM »
Brian Gorby is one hell of a coach.
Very relevant comment.  Certainly Zallow is the linchpin, but this is not a "one man show."  I'm sure several coaches, trainers, recruiters are doing a great job, but it always starts at the top.  I echo Chief: "Great job Brian!

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2019, 12:12:16 PM »

You may be thinking of Brian Radakovich who played basketball and then one year of football.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2019, 02:37:28 PM »
Brian Gorby is the best head coach on this campus.  He deserves all the accolades that he receives.  But sprints coach (and former YSU football player) Dave Townsend also deserves a ton of credit.  Sprints, both men and women, are the bedrock of this program and have been that way for a long time. 

Guins4, Radakovich is an excellent example of that 4 + 1 rule, but I am thinking of a wide receiver or tight end who played under Tressel.  Must be more like 25 years ago rather than 15.  He then joined the basketball team that was still coached, I think, by Stroia.  We were so bad that he was one of our better basketball players for that year, although he was four years removed from playing b-ball in high school.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2019, 03:22:10 PM »
Good point on Gorby. I eman, we were a 2-coach team until just a few years ago. Gorby built the team beginning with distance/steeple runners (both of the coaches were former champions. Beyond that, I would would say our fat men/women are the real bedrock of our track team. Sprints over the last few years, but we have had so many national qualifiers in Shot-put (M&W) and hammer (especially ladies weight throw).

Let's not forget that much of our success is because we are in the HL. If we were in the MVC, not so certain we would be as successful. I also credit Stroll for freeing up funds for salaries and equipment

Offline NineIron

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2019, 07:56:11 PM »
Wick,

I believe the player you are thinking of is Ray Ellington from the late 80's early 90's.  Great Athlete.