Author Topic: MBB vs Illinois Chicago  (Read 9148 times)

Offline Penquin68

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
MBB vs Illinois Chicago
« on: February 16, 2019, 10:04:03 AM »
We are a 1 point underdog.  They have some really good guards so that will be an issue.  Last time we played them in Chicago, they really beat us badly, so this will be no easy task.  Need a strong effort and things to go our way win.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: MBB vs Illinois Chicago
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2019, 10:17:28 AM »
Reminder the game is at 6pm, not 7.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2019, 10:31:23 AM »
Reminder the game is at 6pm, not 7.

Yes. The Vindy tiny announcement has it at 7 pm and an incorrect league record. Can't even get that right!

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2019, 03:42:04 PM »
I'm surprised UIC isn't a 3-5 point favorite.  That line is less than IUPUI a team we've had a lot of success against compared to UIC that's a better team, that's on a win streak, and we've struggled against.  It's going to take a great effort to win this.  If we want a shot at a top 4 seed this is almost a must win.  With 4 games left, I hope we can at least win 2 to get to 9-9, which should avoid having to go to N. KY or Wright State to open the Horizon League tourney.

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2019, 08:12:33 PM »
81-73 and that is 6 in a row.  No fg for over 11 minutes in the 2nd half and a DNP for Covington =no problem just let Quisenberry goes off for 37.   

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2019, 08:58:09 PM »
81-73 and that is 6 in a row.  No fg for over 11 minutes in the 2nd half and a DNP for Covington =no problem just let Quisenberry goes off for 37.   

I was at the game. Good crowd. Q was unreal with his drives. The game would not have been this close if Morgan did not miss all 5 FT (4 of them late in the game). Team played good defense. It was tough to play without Covington. Hope he can come back soon. Naz just could not score.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2019, 09:01:56 PM »
Welcome to the Q show ladies and gents! Buckle up and enjoy the ride!

Hell of a win guys!

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2019, 10:33:34 PM »
Is this really YSU?  Holy sh** 6 straight wins.  Calhoun for coach of the year.   Go Guins!!!

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2019, 06:25:46 AM »
From today's Vindy:

Quisenberry’s 37 lead YSU to six wins in a row

February 17, 2019 at 12:10a.m.

By Brian Dzenis

bdzenis@vindy.com

YOUNGSTOWN

Even when Youngstown State’s entire offense ground to a halt, Darius Quisenberry found a way to keep scoring.

The freshman scored a career-best 37 points — the most by a YSU freshman since Tim Jackson’s 31 in 1988 — to lead the Penguins to an 81-73 win over Illinois-Chicago.

The Penguins (12-16, 8-7 Horizon League) survived 12 minutes of not making a single shot to win six games in a row for the first time since the 1997-98 season.

“It’s a great milestone for my career here at YSU,” Quisenberry said. “Personally, it keeps my spirits high, but for me and my team — we can’t be satisfied — but it’s a great accomplishment.”

From the opening tip, Quisenberry was locked in, going 7 for 9 from the floor for a team-high 17 points in the first half. Devin Morgan followed suit by going 3 for 3 from 3-point range while scoring 15 points in the opening half. The team collectively was 8 for 12 from beyond the arc is it took a 43-38 halftime lead.

After the break, YSU’s shooting froze. In the ensuing 12 minutes, the Penguins missed 13 shots in a row and could only get points at the free-throw line. Quisenberry had a team-best four points in that stretch. Morgan never scored again for the rest of the contest.

“We were all getting frustrated. The players, coaches — I knew I was,” YSU coach Jerrod Calhoun said. “You have to give our guys credit and to hold that team to 73 points — they are a high-powered scoring machine.”

UIC (14-13, 8-6) did little to take advantage of YSU’s slump, building its lead only as high as six points as the Flames found themselves in foul trouble. UIC’s leading scorer, Marcus Ottey, found himself with four fouls three minutes into the second half.

Jelani Simmons hit a floater with 8:30 left to play to break the scoring skid. Quisenberry traded free throws with Ottey before following up with a 3-pointer that tied the game at 58 and the Penguins rode the foul line to the finish.

Quisenberry made just three shots in the second half, but finished the game making 14 out of 16 free throws.

“I think free throws are huge. I’m trying to get to the line every game — it’s free points and that’s why they’re called free throws — I work on them every day,” Quisenberry said. “I sacrifice my body to get to the line, which I got to stop doing. I’m just trying to get to the line for easy points.”

Defense made the difference in the final minute of the contest. UIC trailed by just three points with a minute left, but three missed 3-pointers, a turnover and free throws from Quisenberry, Donel Cathcart III and Naz Bohannon prevented the need for another last-second shot to win the game.

Sophomore guard Garrett Covington was held out of the game with a concussion. He could be available for Thursday’s game against Northern Kentucky if he passes more tests, Calhoun said.

YSU snapped UIC’s four-game winning streak and got its first win against the Flames under Calhoun. Godwin Boahen led the Flames with 20 points, Ottey scored 18 and Tarkus Ferguson had 14.

YSU had its highest recorded attendance of the season at 4,917. The next highest mark was 3,449 on Dec. 8, 2018 during an 88-77 loss to Western Michigan.

“It’s huge and that’s special for Youngstown. The girls are playing well. We’re playing well. I think you’re starting to see Youngstown turn into a basketball town,” Quisenberry said. “Seeing those fans out there cheering and being happy is big for me. I came here to change the culture and I see it changing.”

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2019, 11:42:53 AM »
The announced attendance was 4917.   Beeghly holds 6300 and if my math is correct that equals 78% of capacity.  Not to nitpick but from watching online it did not look like it was even half full.  Perhaps i'm getting a distorted view so maybe those who were there can comment .

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2019, 12:04:55 PM »
The announced attendance was 4917.   Beeghly holds 6300 and if my math is correct that equals 78% of capacity.  Not to nitpick but from watching online it did not look like it was even half full.  Perhaps i'm getting a distorted view so maybe those who were there can comment .
I was there in person. There were no 5000 people there, unless the reseverd seats were sold and they did not show up (just like football). Those seats were less than 40% full.

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2019, 12:24:14 PM »
What tournament was the coach referring to for next year during post game?

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2019, 04:36:01 PM »

It was pretty full so that number is right. Biggest crowd for a mens game in years.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2019, 04:37:41 PM »
What tournament was the coach referring to for next year during post game?

YSU will be hosting a couple of teams in Beeghly next year. It's called an MTE. It's around the holidays and it's an exempt tournament.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2019, 07:46:52 PM »
Do we have any clue on what teams will be at the MTE?   West Virgina at Covelli is all we know.