Author Topic: MBB vs IUPUI  (Read 5326 times)

Offline Penquin68

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
MBB vs IUPUI
« on: February 14, 2019, 05:08:11 PM »
I see we are 1.5 point underdogs.  We can win if we keep playing like we have.  I think the emphasis on defense has really helped.  Much different than earlier in the season.  Need to have players step up tonight.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: MBB vs IUPUI
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2019, 06:21:12 PM »
I see we are 1.5 point underdogs.  We can win if we keep playing like we have.  I think the emphasis on defense has really helped.  Much different than earlier in the season.  Need to have players step up tonight.
Going down to see the game in person tonight. Hope they can shoot the 3's tonight and win the game. i am surprised that we are + 1.5 points since we won at their place and we are on a 4 game wining streak.

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2019, 09:30:04 PM »
5 in a row.  First time in 20 years.    Got into a bad pace/rhythm in the 2nd half when we're up 14.   IUPUI started pressing and it seems like we didn't get into an offensive flow.

Michael O getting minutes and making them count. Q and Simmons are playing like they are no longer freshmen.
Need the community to come out Saturday and will these guys to #6.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2019, 10:38:36 PM »
5 in a row.  First time in 20 years.    Got into a bad pace/rhythm in the 2nd half when we're up 14.   IUPUI started pressing and it seems like we didn't get into an offensive flow.

Michael O getting minutes and making them count. Q and Simmons are playing like they are no longer freshmen.
Need the community to come out Saturday and will these guys to #6.

I was at the game and they almost let this one get away. After being up 14 half way in the second haft, they forgot about driving to the basket. They kept running motion plays outside the zone and had trouble getting open shots. The press put in by IUPUI late in the game was also effective in preventing us having enough time to set up the offense.

Late in the game, after falling behind, Q started driving to the basket. The winning shot was taken/made when Q passed the ball back while driving to the basket.
The play was exactly the same when Covington scored the 3 against UWM except tonight's shot came from the opposite side.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2019, 11:09:56 PM »
YSU basketball is now fun again. This team returns virtually every player next year and has a chance to do something special in years to come. The valley needs to embrace the basketball program now. Same goes for the Horizon League. Most of the teams are very young a lot of talent returning next year throughout the conference. The league is going to be stacked in upcoming years. Calhoun is doing a great job now we need some fans in the seats

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2019, 12:20:41 AM »
Calhoun and kids have something brewing!

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2019, 08:51:32 AM »
I read this thread after years (decades really) of "poor YSU, nothing can be done" crap on this board.  Women's game should be great tonight, men going for 6 in a row, Track great, swimming much better than we deserve,, cripes, even women's bowling doing good!  If Bo and Carl can get that bunch playing together it could be the Golden Age of YSU athletics!
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2019, 09:44:17 AM »
I was little surprised YSU was a 1.5 point underdog to a team that we seem to have their number on top of entering with 4 straight wins and playing at home.  I'm sure we'll be a few point underdog to UIC.

Quisenberry has been spectacular.  I said earlier in the year he really didn't seem like a freshman and definitely isn't playing that way now.  Sure hope we can keep him around the next 3 years.

I think we definitely got lax late in the first half and later in the 2nd allowing IUPUI to get back in the game.  Seemed like we were happy milking the clock down, but then really was struggling to get any shots off.  Felt like we were up 20+ at times, but weren't.  Obviously getting guys in foul trouble hurt.  I thought it was a pretty poorly officiated game.  The flagrant on Ola was a joke, and there were some other pretty weak calls.  It's a good thing they struggled at the line or we'd have lost. 

Hampton didn't play for the 2nd straight game and the game before that played only 5 mins and didn't score.  Anyone know what's up with him?

Hopefully Covington will be good to go Saturday. 

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2019, 10:35:54 AM »
I was little surprised YSU was a 1.5 point underdog to a team that we seem to have their number on top of entering with 4 straight wins and playing at home.  I'm sure we'll be a few point underdog to UIC.

Quisenberry has been spectacular.  I said earlier in the year he really didn't seem like a freshman and definitely isn't playing that way now.  Sure hope we can keep him around the next 3 years.

I think we definitely got lax late in the first half and later in the 2nd allowing IUPUI to get back in the game.  Seemed like we were happy milking the clock down, but then really was struggling to get any shots off.  Felt like we were up 20+ at times, but weren't.  Obviously getting guys in foul trouble hurt.  I thought it was a pretty poorly officiated game.  The flagrant on Ola was a joke, and there were some other pretty weak calls.  It's a good thing they struggled at the line or we'd have lost. 

Hampton didn't play for the 2nd straight game and the game before that played only 5 mins and didn't score.  Anyone know what's up with him?

Hopefully Covington will be good to go Saturday.

Kendale was in sweats sitting way down on the end of the bench so I'm not sure. Academic maybe ? Injured ? Who knows.