Author Topic: The Steel Tire  (Read 26740 times)

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: The Steel Tire
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2019, 08:45:02 AM »
Want the answer to is this good or bad?  Look at the posters on this thread.  Some we rarely see, some I don't recall ever seeing.  There's your answer.  Most interest in some time on this board, so game is a GREAT get for JT.
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline Petey

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2019, 11:18:32 AM »
I am one of those folks that you do not see much. Read everyday, but rarely post. Yep IMHO this is great news!! Hate Akron same as Michigan and would not miss this game. Will mention I live in Cbus so knocking a hour off my trip is gravey!

Goooooo Guins!!!!

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2019, 02:27:46 PM »
First of all JT has not 'gotten' a game for us since 1999, so people should get over the "superman complex". He is the president now ...not the AD. Strollo is much more of an AD than JT ever was. Furthermore, Akron & Kent would jump at a game with YSU in a heartbeat, so it is not much more than a desperation move on our behalf. Not some heavily-negotiated coup. We let the MAC and Akron dictate the terms.

I could care less about what happened in the past, we have played Akron in most every other sport for years now. It does not change the fact that we let a school and a conference walk on us years ago and did nothing about it. We should have petitioned the NCAA many years ago to send a request to the MAC to drop the policy to not allow conference schools to play at lower-division schools. At the very least, allow exceptions for historically significant schools, schools within a certain mileage of each other, or within the same state.

So again, YSU will struggle with Akron (because of proximity and history); where NDSU, JMU, SDSU and other would barely break a sweat. This is a no-win game for us:
-If we lose, we will be written off at the beginning of the year (just like the Butler loss doomed us this past season).
-If it is a close win, YSU is "not looking to be very good this year".
-If we win big it is an expectation, because of Akron's terribly-low ranking and standing as an FBS team.

In short, a no-win situation and a game that NEVER should have been scheduled. BTW Chief, real fans do not have to be deaf, dumb and blind. GO ...Butler and Akron are both "bottom-feeders". So in that regard, they are exactly the same.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2019, 03:03:51 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2019, 02:54:06 PM »
I know 100% for a fact Tressel was the man who got this game so you can cry and whine all you want but facts are facts. He has more pull than he's ever had.

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2019, 06:53:32 PM »
I will probably drive in from NC to watch this.

Before I moved I couldn't care less if I drove the 45 minutes needed to watch us play the likes of Bobby Mo or Duquesne.

Say what you want about return games, I don't give a crap abput that.

Football is a recreational activity. Entertainment, pure and simple. As a consumer I would much rather see YSU\Akron than any other non-conference game in recent memory. To me, this is a great event. Another game against a Pioneer\NEC league team isn't. I don't need or want to see another one of those as long as I live unless its after Thanksgiving.

This is a rivalry, and I for one am glad its back, even if its a one and done.

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2019, 11:36:55 PM »
First of all JT has not 'gotten' a game for us since 1999, so people should get over the "superman complex". He is the president now ...not the AD. Strollo is much more of an AD than JT ever was. Furthermore, Akron & Kent would jump at a game with YSU in a heartbeat, so it is not much more than a desperation move on our behalf. Not some heavily-negotiated coup. We let the MAC and Akron dictate the terms.

I could care less about what happened in the past, we have played Akron in most every other sport for years now. It does not change the fact that we let a school and a conference walk on us years ago and did nothing about it. We should have petitioned the NCAA many years ago to send a request to the MAC to drop the policy to not allow conference schools to play at lower-division schools. At the very least, allow exceptions for historically significant schools, schools within a certain mileage of each other, or within the same state.

So again, YSU will struggle with Akron (because of proximity and history); where NDSU, JMU, SDSU and other would barely break a sweat. This is a no-win game for us:
-If we lose, we will be written off at the beginning of the year (just like the Butler loss doomed us this past season).
-If it is a close win, YSU is "not looking to be very good this year".
-If we win big it is an expectation, because of Akron's terribly-low ranking and standing as an FBS team.

In short, a no-win situation and a game that NEVER should have been scheduled. BTW Chief, real fans do not have to be deaf, dumb and blind. GO ...Butler and Akron are both "bottom-feeders". So in that regard, they are exactly the same.

IAA I respect your opinion about this game even though I disagree with it. And you do bring up good points of it being a gamble. Of course losing the game will hurt recruiting. But like the comment that only those over 45 are interested in this game .... I have to set the record straight.

http://www.wfmj.com/story/39967993/akron-ad-lunch-with-president-tressell-started-talks-of-ysu-akron-football

So sure stollo is the AD, and I'm sure involved in this. But this conversation started thanks to JT. Unless this is all lies and fake news.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2019, 08:36:07 AM »
I will probably drive in from NC to watch this.

Before I moved I couldn't care less if I drove the 45 minutes needed to watch us play the likes of Bobby Mo or Duquesne.

Say what you want about return games, I don't give a crap abput that.

Football is a recreational activity. Entertainment, pure and simple. As a consumer I would much rather see YSU\Akron than any other non-conference game in recent memory. To me, this is a great event. Another game against a Pioneer\NEC league team isn't. I don't need or want to see another one of those as long as I live unless its after Thanksgiving.

This is a rivalry, and I for one am glad its back, even if its a one and done.

Well we already have our two warm-up games in 2020, so this is not a substitute. It is a substitute for a money game. Again, IMO any home game is better than any away game. Secondly, you know darn well that a game against an ACC, Big-12 or Big-10 team would be preferred, this is all we could get.

FROM THE ARTICLE:

"We're open to continuing if after the one year," Williams said,  adding Akron won't play at YSU due rules in  Mid American Conference playing at FCS schools.

According to Williams, Youngstown State will receive "in the ball park of $300,000 dollars"  for the game, but did not have the exact amount.

------------------------------------

He is dictating policy to us. If he truly cared about having a continued series,  Williams would step up and confront the MAC. Clearly we are simply filling a date on their calendar. This cash is not much more than an FCS game would cost/bring. Agree or not, this was a bad game to schedule.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 10:24:48 AM by IAA Fan »

Offline Penquin68

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2019, 10:08:40 AM »
1AA Fan has some points, but I see reality in this game.  We are FCS and they are FBS. Is that correct or not, that is debatable.  We for sure can not afford to be FBS.  I am not aware of any FBS teams playing at FCS team currently.  Haven't done the research, but who would come to YSU as an FBS team and play us?

As difficult as this is to accept, it is reality.  We need the game and it will bring huge interest from YSU fans and plenty of MAC fans as well.  A loss to us is really a knock on their situation.  They have way more to loose that we do in this game in my opinion.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2019, 10:16:52 AM »
300k to drive 45 min to go beat them in their own stadium ? Count me in.

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2019, 11:34:47 AM »
300k to drive 45 min to go beat them in their own stadium ? Count me in.
Agreed!

Offline YSUFANSINCE1990

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2019, 02:29:06 PM »
  1 AA, you are wrong on this.  JT got the game with his connections.  Strollo still living in 90's and stubborn.  He didn't want the game unless Akron gave us a return game, and that doesn't make any sense.  Why would any FBS team go play and FCS team on the road?

As for your comparison of Akron and Butler, that is ridiculous.   We were a 37 point favorite over non-scholarship Butler, unless things changes considerably over the next year or so, we will be the underdog at Akron.  This is not the YSU of the 90's, we were 4-7 last year.  Lost to Butler, and lost by 25 points to Indiana State.  YSU has missed the playoffs 3 of 4 years under Pelini.

This a great game for YSU.  As Chief stated, 300 K, and only a bus trip on the expense side.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 02:30:06 PM by YSUFANSINCE1990 »

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2019, 02:55:45 PM »
It is NOT living in the 90's. Who cares about that, it is living for the future. IF we concede on this, then they will be asking again, as will Kent and all of the other MAC schools. We set the standard that we will play anyone & most importantly, will take $300k to play. That is nothing these days. The FBS norm is basically twice that. If it becomes a "trophy contest" that will make it even worse.

All of you people that get excited over Akron are the ones living in the 90's (and earlier)! To me, they are just a "basement bottom" FBS team and (I will repeat) there is no good reason to play this game and it NEVER SHOULD HAVE BEEN SCHEDULED WITHOUT A RETURN GAME. Anyone (I mean anyone) outside of the Valley will fall out of their chair if we lose this game. This includes members of the championship selection committee. With this staff, we cannot afford to have anymore doubts.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 03:00:34 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline ysuhoops24

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2019, 04:57:23 PM »
You're are so clueless about everything on this board.  Seriously my 6-year-old daughter has a better grasp on the reality on sports than you. 

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2019, 05:29:08 PM »
You're are so clueless about everything on this board.  Seriously my 6-year-old daughter has a better grasp on the reality on sports than you.

+1

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2019, 08:32:05 AM »
What is the matter, cannot support your convictions so you attack the person? Without anything else behind it (like a return game or offer to join the conference); any 6-year old knows what a waste this game is. I want my money games to have power conference teams and power conference pay-checks. BTW, if you really do have a six-year-old, then chances are you do not even remember the last time we played Akron in football. If we had a P5 offer, you should wish to drop this game in a heartbeat
« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 08:34:00 AM by IAA Fan »