Author Topic: The Steel Tire  (Read 26721 times)

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: The Steel Tire
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2019, 10:31:03 AM »
Nice! Would love to see Can't State the week after  instead of Duquesne :)

2021 Sparty

Really excited about the 2022 season! 17 Sep game in Lexington KY  8)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 10:52:42 AM by ysubigred »

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2019, 10:33:54 AM »
Pride & Chief, I cannot support what you are saying. First of all Akron does not even count if we win & will crush our post-season chances (and general reputation) if we lose (just like losing to Butler). Being tied with a ranked WVU at half time, or upsetting Pitt is meaningful. For any decent I-AA/FCS team ... Beating Akron is an expectation and a necessity.

Secondly, I am 100-times more excited about ANY home game, than ANY away game. Just common sense. Other reasons include UA "trashing" our program for just about the entire decade of the 90's and the players that we will lose (recruits) if we do not win. Also people being excited? The excitement will leave in an instant when they find out we get no return Right now, we hold the trophy, what if we lose it, with no chance to get it back? This is the same thing that happened with Kent. The last time we played KSU (the Schwebel's trophy) ...we lost. There has been no chance since to get the trophy back.  This game should NEVER have been agreed to w/o a return guarantee.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 10:36:42 AM by IAA Fan »

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2019, 10:39:55 AM »
Take the money. Win the game.  A big crowd will put a lot of pressure on Akron and Kent to rethink what they are doing and the subsidies they pay for their sports programs. It is about time universities listen to customer interest on who they schedule.

Don't you mean "university"? As in YSU. Why should Akron care, all they are doing is filling a HOME date with no other obligation. No sense of community here at all. Fan's in Akron see their team as stepping down to play an FCS team, nothing more. It has been 3 generations since we last played Akron in football.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 10:43:13 AM by IAA Fan »

Offline Kandrase

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2019, 10:44:35 AM »
Pride & Chief, I cannot support what you are saying. First of all Akron does not even count if we win & will crush our post-season chances (and general reputation) if we lose (just like losing to Butler). Being tied with a ranked WVU at half time, or upsetting Pitt is meaningful. For any decent I-AA/FCS team ... Beating Akron is an expectation and a necessity.

Secondly, I am 100-times more excited about ANY home game, than ANY away game. Just common sense. Other reasons include UA "trashing" our program for just about the entire decade of the 90's and the players that we will lose (recruits) if we do not win. Also people being excited? The excitement will leave in an instant when they find out we get no return Right now, we hold the trophy, what if we lose it, with no chance to get it back? This is the same thing that happened with Kent. The last time we played KSU (the Schwebel's trophy) ...we lost. There has been no chance since to get the trophy back.  This game should NEVER have been agreed to w/o a return guarantee.

Recruits already assume the MAC is a step up from FCS, they don’t understand that the MVFC has actually been considered a tougher conference to be in for a few years. A YSU loss changes very little in regards to recruit perception IMO, however a win could have big implications.

Also who cares if we lose the trophy, YSU students and some younger fans don’t even know the dumb thing exists because we haven’t played Akron since they were born.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2019, 11:01:03 AM »

What planet are you living on ? Typical fans still living in the 90's. THOSE DAYS ARE GONE.

Time to get over it.

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2019, 11:05:32 AM »

What planet are you living on ? Typical fans still living in the 90's. THOSE DAYS ARE GONE.

Time to get over it.

LOL I maybe,,, I mentioned Can't state the week after the Zits like the good ole days  8)

Offline ysuseasonticket

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2019, 11:16:00 AM »
A lot of chatter on zipnation.org about this game, and for the most part they are excited. Some are worried while others think the zits will blow YSU out by 50.

.....I hate/despise Akron. The feeling has never gone away after all these years. In a somewhat odd way I take pride in that fact.  ;D

Offline 4lessgovt

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2019, 01:12:48 PM »
AA: Akron should care because they have a stadium that they can’t fill or pay for.

Offline Penquin68

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2019, 01:31:00 PM »
We fought this game as a no return game for 25 years and basically lost the bet. Much like President Trump and the Wall.  We are trying to be financially responsible and Akron is not.  We are having a difficult time getting money games and with the trips to the Dakotas yearly, need the money. Akron needs games that might draw fans and we need a money game so this is it.  I think in a good year we can beat them; in an off year no.  Hope we are recruiting well and can go there with a strong team.  The QB position I think is key for us.  Hopefully we have one now and in the future.  The offense can sure help the defense when it goes well. Just re watch the Eastern Washington game of 2 year ago and see how that last 6 minute drive saved us. But we had a good QB and O line and a great RB.  This game will sure generate as much interest as any game in the resent past.  A win would be huge.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2019, 01:32:02 PM »
I am not living in the 90's. Just the opposite.. Heck, I was severely chastised when I mentioned that I was happy when Tressel left for Columbus. I did not like his new offense. (1996)

However, Chief & Pride are talking about the excitement or "buzz" and the only people that would be excited are those people over age 45. All we are doing is making Akron feel larger than they are, at our own expense. I will never support  this game. Sure I will go, because I am a YSU fan, that is my duty.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2019, 03:26:06 PM »
In the past 25 years, Akron has never played a quality FCS opponent.  Just pieces of junk.  Their fans have absolutely no idea what a strong MVFC team would do to a second division MAC foe.  Perhaps the final Sagarin ratings from 2018 might give them some idea:

19 NDSU
 58 SDSU
127 YSU
132 Akron
157 Kent

Obviously, our job is to become one of those "strong" MVFC teams by 2020.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2019, 04:32:21 PM »

1AA Butler and Akron are the same?  Surely you jest?  Your bitterness of decades old grudges shades your judgement.  This is a GOOD thing for YSU and damn the return game.  OSU, WVA MSU, Kentucky Maryland don't time us a return.  Get over it! This more like an 8th home game.  It's closer for your too.
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2019, 07:32:03 PM »
Sounds like a whole bunch of folks must be twitterpated with Mr Strollo, I love it.

I will stick to my principles when it comes to the zits and remain against the game.

The good news is that based on what I have been reading in this thread and scheduling threads in the past, I have no doubt that there will be better than 9000 YSU fans making the short trip to the game. Heck maybe more!
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2019, 07:36:25 PM »
I am not living in the 90's. Just the opposite.. Heck, I was severely chastised when I mentioned that I was happy when Tressel left for Columbus. I did not like his new offense. (1996)

However, Chief & Pride are talking about the excitement or "buzz" and the only people that would be excited are those people over age 45. All we are doing is making Akron feel larger than they are, at our own expense. I will never support  this game. Sure I will go, because I am a YSU fan, that is my duty.

I am 26. All my friends are young (all are under 30) and very excited

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2019, 12:22:44 AM »
Embarrassing to call yourself a YSU fan if you think this game is a bad idea. Tressel himself is the one who made this game happen.