Author Topic: MBB vs CSU  (Read 7531 times)

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
MBB vs CSU
« on: January 26, 2019, 07:52:20 PM »

Down 37 to 20 at half.  YSU has 14 turnovers and only 11 made baskets.  8 of 28 fg and 3 for 17 from three
« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 09:06:16 PM by ucfpengbuck »

Offline Penquin68

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: MBB vs CSU
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2019, 09:08:25 PM »
Very poor showing.  Again standing around on offense looking for 3's.  We seem to love to stand around and shoot 3's.  Our inside players need to get better and we need a plan to get the ball to them.

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2019, 09:15:20 PM »
Rarely does a team win the rebounding margin at 17 + and lose.   Shooting 22 for 72 is a recipe for a loss . Like 68 said big guys not scoring in the paint.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2019, 09:18:31 PM »
No horizon tournament.  Lost to worse team in league. Unbelievable

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2019, 10:13:01 PM »
Next year...

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2019, 01:47:02 AM »
I really didn't think we'd lose this game.  Had a week to prepare for one of the worst teams in the country and played about as poor as you could for 25 mins.  Just unexcuseable to be down 44-20.  Lacked intensity and CSU wanted it more.

Really needed this game tonight to get back into it.  All of the 4 win teams lost tonight and a win would have had use back 1 game.  At this point probably going to have to go 5-3 in the last 8 to have any chance. 

It's just hard to believe you can outrebound a team by 17 & lose by double figures.  But again we have no inside presence and when we can't make shots like the first 25 mins we look lost.

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2019, 09:43:00 AM »
Maybe Mary Dunn and Sarah Cash can work with our post men.

Offline Penquin68

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2019, 10:22:57 AM »
The Women's team has a definite plan to get the ball inside and inside players that can score with the ball when they get it. Makes the game so much easier.  We have the height for inside guys and they are either not skilled enough or that part of the game is not emphasized enough. Sure would make us a much better team.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2019, 10:42:21 AM »
Both ladies could get rebounds , muscle up the inside lay ups, take step shots, made the 3 balls and shoot FTs. Who we have on the MBB can do that?

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2019, 08:18:24 AM »
Seriously, watch Cash's footwork in the post, it is absolutely better than any of the men.
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2019, 11:45:12 AM »
Rebounding is one of YSU's strong suits, but even when we get offensive rebounds we have trouble scoring inside unless it's a tip in.  Our 4 bigs (Pederson, Ababir, Holcombe & Sally) are averaging a combined 8.5 points per game.  Pederson just cannot stay out of foul trouble & seems to lack strength.  Anabir is much improved this year, but really isn't a D1 starter.  Holcombe has nice size but him & Sally don't seem to be very athletic. 

The first 25 mins or so of the Cleveland St. game was the typical problem we have with no inside presence and when we can't shoot outside, and the lack of a real go to guy.  Everyone starts standing around and we just start firing 3 pointers hoping to get hot.  I really thought if we could have stayed within 10 at half we would still win that game but that didn't happen and they went on that 7-0 run to start the 2nd half & it was too much to overcome even though we played pretty good after that.  It's hard to believe after YSU started the game up 5-0 and should have been more they outscored us by 29 until YSU started playing better.   

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2019, 05:27:27 PM »
In the old days, Dom Rosselli had one assistant coach.  Yet his teams were fundamentally sound and sometimes defeated opponents with superior athletes just by making proper decisions and being at the right spot on the court.  Today in DI basketball, there are a small army of assistants on the bench.  I am not questioning the basketball credentials of our coaches, but I now doubt their teaching abilities.  When their pupils make the same mistakes over and over, it is an indictment of this staff.

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2019, 08:46:46 PM »
In the old days, Dom Rosselli had one assistant coach.  Yet his teams were fundamentally sound and sometimes defeated opponents with superior athletes just by making proper decisions and being at the right spot on the court.  Today in DI basketball, there are a small army of assistants on the bench.  I am not questioning the basketball credentials of our coaches, but I now doubt their teaching abilities.  When their pupils make the same mistakes over and over, it is an indictment of this staff.

It's an interesting point you bring up...I've often wondered that myself. 

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2019, 06:18:48 AM »

That same asst coach was the YSU men's JV coach that was played before the Varsity game.   The walk on players and some freshmen got a lot of experience.  Not sure of when and why that went away ?