Author Topic: Beeghly Center  (Read 12882 times)

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Beeghly Center
« on: January 20, 2019, 01:17:18 PM »
Worst gym in the league by far. Time to renovate this dump. Get rid of the 1970's bleachers. Everything should be red seats.

Roof is leaking water today delaying and possibly cancelling the women's game today.

Couple weeks ago, they had to play the entire game with a digital shot clock and game clock sitting on the scorers table because they could not get any of the scoreboards to work.

What an embarrassment to the university....

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Beeghly Center
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2019, 01:21:51 PM »
New gym.  Long overdue. 

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2019, 01:31:55 PM »
I get football runs this school and all the schools in the horizon don't play football but Strollo and JT are raising money to upgrade other facilities on campus. Time to find some donors and make some MAJOR renovations to this place. It's sad compared to anywhere else.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2019, 02:17:08 PM »
Game was just postponed until tomorrow at 1:00.  (Actually a good thing for me because I am going nowhere until my street gets plowed.) 

We have been hitting the donor class very hard for academic projects, and I doubt that a new arena is feasible at this time. But we don't really need it.  We have invested a ton of funds inside that building; now we must complete the modernization project.

Replace the roof over the basketball court.  A dome-shaped structure would not accumulate snow.
Then, as chief noted, get rid of the bleachers.  Install new theater type seats in the lower bowl.  Build
permanent seating on the decks (we don't need that space for activities anymore with the WATTS and the rec center.)

Expensive but actually "doable."

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2019, 02:19:39 PM »
Stroll get this renovated now.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2019, 02:30:05 PM »
Don't need a completely new arena but definitely need a renovation project. Those bleachers are the most hideous things I've ever seen. Is this a high school or a D1 gym ?????

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2019, 05:52:22 PM »
Only Oakland has a smaller facility than Beeghly.   IUPUIi,UWM,and Detroit are older venues but have all been upgraded better than Beeghly.
I agree with getting rid of the bleachers for seats.  Don't want to say can't put lipstick on a pig but after seeing the Wolstein Center it's like a pro arena compared to D2 gym.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2019, 10:39:37 PM »
You guys have to be fair. The Convocation Center was built for the Cleveland Crunch (Force), CSU took control when the original owner wanted to build the Gund Arena. It's capacity for basketball is almost half of it's max. This is why we should not have under-built the Chevy Center when we did. In short, YSU is paying for things themselves & CSU did not. Sure they (CSU) pay for updating it, but they do not have a football stadium (like Stambaugh) to maintain either.

BTW, real YSU basketball fans might complain, but will still go to games and sit in bleachers. They are not doing it now and have not since before Tressel became AD. Attendance has been an issue long before Strollo.

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2019, 11:17:26 PM »
Unless you're 5', 100 lbs, it's impossible to be comfortable in the red seats if anyone is beside you unless you have an aisle seat.

It's unbelievable to me that you can't even use a credit card to buy tickets on game day at the box office.  The Square has been out for how many years to use as an app on a phone!?  And if you call ahead to buy reserved tickets, it's like they are surprised and have no idea how to handle the task without turning into an ordeal.

Offline ysuhoops24

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2019, 10:09:26 PM »
You guys have to be fair. The Convocation Center was built for the Cleveland Crunch (Force), CSU took control when the original owner wanted to build the Gund Arena. It's capacity for basketball is almost half of it's max. This is why we should not have under-built the Chevy Center when we did. In short, YSU is paying for things themselves & CSU did not. Sure they (CSU) pay for updating it, but they do not have a football stadium (like Stambaugh) to maintain either.

BTW, real YSU basketball fans might complain, but will still go to games and sit in bleachers. They are not doing it now and have not since before Tressel became AD. Attendance has been an issue long before Strollo.

WRONG. 

This arena was a direct result of the run Cleveland State had in the tournament with Mouse McFadden in 1986, once that run happened the wheels got put into motion for this university-owned arena.  A stupid indoor soccer team never owned this arena but was just a simple tenant of the facility.  Next you are going to tell me the Phantoms own Covelli. 

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2019, 10:32:41 PM »

WRONG. 

This arena was a direct result of the run Cleveland State had in the tournament with Mouse McFadden in 1986, once that run happened the wheels got put into motion for this university-owned arena.  A stupid indoor soccer team never owned this arena but was just a simple tenant of the facility.  Next you are going to tell me the Phantoms own Covelli.

He's wrong about a lot of things, don't worry. Plain and simple. Half of the YSU athletic department are still stuck in the 1990's and are trying to play catch up. Beeghly is a dump.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2019, 08:21:50 AM »

WRONG. 

[/quote]

He's wrong about a lot of things, don't worry. Plain and simple. Half of the YSU athletic department are still stuck in the 1990's and are trying to play catch up. Beeghly is a dump.
[/quote]
1AA, your implied blaming casual fans for not coming and sitting on the bleachers like "real" fans is insulting and self defeating.  The only source of "real" fans is from casual fans, we need to make the entire experience as pleasant as possible.  Question is: remodel or replace.  Save 10's of millions with a full blown remodel, and should get 95% of what a new building will get, sans the hype of a new place (which is important too) 
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline YSU1

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2019, 09:34:06 AM »
I have heard previously that the Cleveland State's arena is a huge money pit because they do not have enough events to help pay for it.  Basketball alone certainly will not even pay the light bill

Offline YSUFANSINCE1990

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2019, 10:21:10 AM »
  Ask any recruit, facilities are important.  Beeghly is awful.  Bob Huggins refused to have West Virginia play there, that is why next year's game is at the Covelli Centre. 

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2019, 11:40:48 AM »
  Ask any recruit, facilities are important.  Beeghly is awful.  Bob Huggins refused to have West Virginia play there, that is why next year's game is at the Covelli Centre.
OK, OK, I hear all the criticism. I doubt Huggins would have agreed to play on campus no mater what we have.  He wants the "big stage".  Remember, with the $55 million dollar palace at CSU, they traded management of the facility for the right to play some CSU games at The Q.  And I quote: "In 2015, it was announced that CSU had an agreement with the management of Quicken Loans Arena (popularly known as "The Q"), where The Q would essentially take over operations of the Wolstein Center, promoting and booking events at the venue, while in return select Vikings men's basketball games would be played at The Q".  This is actually similar to what Warren Oh did with the Packard Music Hall and the managment team at the Covelli Centre
My question was and is this:  Do you try to raise 40-50 MILLION to replace on 10-20 to update?
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!